Ear Popping and Cracking After Every Swallow

Discussion in 'Support' started by TheHonoredOne, Jul 31, 2021.

1. TheHonoredOne

TheHonoredOne Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vaccine
      Hello Everyone,

For the past week, everytime I swallow anything, be it water or food or milk, my ears either make loud cracking/crackling sound, or they both pop and this is quite a rough and loud pop as well.

I am concerned this is damaging my ears and potentially my hearing due to the frequency and loudness. Not sure what to do either.

Another thing is that everytime I burp my ears either pop, or a ton of pressure gets sent into my ears. Like a Valsalva amount of pressure I'd say. Yesterday after one burp, all the pressure went into my right ear and literally hurt my ears (I felt pain near my eardrum from the pressure).

And lastly, if I tilt my head or am getting up from lying down or if I try and just try and not swallow for a while, it's as if the muscles in my jaw move on their own and they end up forcefully popping both ears. Like a quick muscle spasm that pops both ears.

I have no idea what's going on and my doctor doesn't either. Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. Rudedog205

Rudedog205 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure? Possible concussion? Covid Vaccine? TMJ?
      It could may be some TMJ related issues, some Eustachian tube issues, or maybe something like MEM or Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome. I couldn't tell you exactly.

I do have TMJ related issues and experience the ear popping/cracking from swallowing and moving my jaw plus some light muscle spasms.

• Like Like x 1
    3. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      Don't worry about that! I've had tinnitus for 5 years, dogs barking, firecrackers, door slams, loud motorbikes, dishes crashing, screaming fights, ocean swimming in gail force winds!

That clicking just sounds loud because you hear it internally, the decibels are very low, if you wear earplugs and eat chips, it will also sound loud, but it's not.

I also get these kinds of weird noises, they have come and gone over the years, it won't be permanent

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    4. Djstarkiss
      Badass

Djstarkiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I’ve had the same thing since I was like 19!

My ENT told me it’s normal?! But I didn’t always remember it happening... either way it didn’t hurt my ears.. I got tinnitus from DJing clubs.

• Like Like x 1