Ear Problems My Whole Life: Hard of Hearing, Ear Fullness, Sound Sensitivity, Vertigo, Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by AbbaZaba, May 21, 2023.

1. AbbaZaba

AbbaZaba Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello. I’ve had ear problems my whole life, from frequent infections as a kid to occasional tinnitus since I was a teenager. In my mid 20’s I was very ill and my ear drum blew out; I’ve been hard of hearing in that ear since. I’ve had ear fullness and sound sensitivity for years, and recently my third bout of vertigo. Since the last vertigo attack, my tinnitus has changed from infrequent and short lived hums to frequent, high pitched episodes all day, every day; they progressively get longer and louder as the day goes on, and kept me up all night a couple times now.

When I have sound sensitivity it’s to all sounds above a whisper or low murmur. I don’t know that I’d say painful, maybe really uncomfortable, but it seems like I can literally feel the vibration from sounds in my ears; if it’s extended exposure, it leaves me with this feeling for quite a long time afterward. The rest of the time I’m ok with normal conversation as long as there’s not too much input.

I’m thankful to you all for testing out all the products I’m not going to waste my money on :puppykisses:

My daughter and her two boys live with us right now. I adore the little dude, but his voice is just the right tone to grate on me and he talks loud when he’s excited playing. He’s ADHD and reminding him to lower his voice is pointless at times and I feel bad; he’s just being a kid. I’ve ordered a couple pairs of earplugs to try out when it’s game time, thanks to you all again! I found the discussion about earplugs in various threads informative and helpful. Also those about WNGs. I feel better armed for my appointment at the ENT next month and what I’m willing to try vs. what I’m not.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Vertigo can be caused by many reasons. If it is BPPV type, it can be fixed fast by doing the Half Somersault Technique invented by a lady MD. You can find her tutorial by searching YouTube.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AbbaZaba

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks, but it is not BPPV. Vertigo episodes have lasted from a couple of hours to more than 12, preceded by ear fullness and followed by hyperacusis.

4. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      Have you been checked for Meniere's disease?

5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @AbbaZaba, you could ask your doctor to refer you to ENT. Medication like Betaserc can help vertigo.

I have Meniere's disease in both ears.

Glynis

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AbbaZaba

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks Glynis! I went to an ENT yesterday, no referral needed with my insurance. I was given a tentative diagnosis of Meniere’s but still need an MRI and balance tests. I’m not looking forward to the balance tests!