Ear Protection, Pain & Healing

Discussion in 'Support' started by Willowman, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Willowman

Willowman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      music
      Hi All

I was advised by one audiologist NOT to wear ear protection as much as I often do..because it will make "hyperacusis and tinnitus appear worse."

Yet without ear protection...even at a coffee shop or in office...I exeprience pain. If prolonged...anxiety/agitation.

Questions:

What is really going on to create this kind of sensitivity? Does ear protection help (along with supplements and therapies) to promote healing? Are there any tests I need to do for more clarity and to assist in workplace modifications? Right now...I don't think colleagues "get it" or believe I have serious hearing challenges. Suggestions?

Thank you

Willowman

2. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Ear protection makes the T appear louder as your brain focuses on it more.
      It does not change the structure of you inner ear, or nerves.

No Ear protection can in your case (acoustic trauma) make your already damaged hair cells more prone to additional damage in normally loud situations - busy cafe, public places etc.., and this can lead to a permanent T increase and more hearing loss..

So which is the lesser evil in your opinion ?

Damaged hair cells don't have a good ability to protect themselves from noises.

We just don't have the ability to control outside noises. And if you have pain that's a clear sign your body is sending out.

You ears will eventually heal but very slowly, you have to be patient and give it a few months