Ear Ringing to High Pitch

Discussion in 'Support' started by II Packy II, Apr 15, 2014.

1. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I've been trying to avoid loud music since a horrible spike about 10 years ago. I'm still reeling from that night. Anyway, since then, the T settled down a bit, but yes, there is a 'double' weird distorted kind of sound I hear if someone yells or I play an acoustic guitar that is loud. I can't play electric music anymore.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Have you ever attempted to treat this?

3. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      2 doctors told me to hold my nose and blow. Another doctor told me to ignore it. They don't get it. Anyway, my best treatment is to avoid sounds that cause this so it doesn't get worse. IMO that's the thing about ear damage, to protect what you have. I've brought my T WAY down, my H down somewhat, and this garbled distortion down also by avoiding the thing that caused them - loud music.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Whistling in particular or high pitch noise makes my ear ring in reaction. I swear its my tinnitus reacting to the stimulus. Wonder if scientists are learning about the experience. Guess ill find out when I get to Dallas. It's fucking annoying.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Here I am in the card shop and my ear sounds like a blown speaker.

6. kevin89carolina

kevin89carolina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 30, 2014
      Packy, I noticed you got your tinnitus after a series of gunshots. Would you mind explaining what happened as soon as you shot the gun and what your tinnitus sounds like now? Has it changed over time?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      It was extremely loud ringing for a few months of a constant high pitch tone. My t slowly got better but after getting tubes put in my ear (stupidly allowed this) and now my right ear rings incredibly loud or is a comfortable hiss. My right ear sounds garbled when a ton of noise is around and reactively rings when high pitch noises are present. I think I've developed tensor tympani syndrome or light H as the pain associated with H is usually rather painful. A stupid mistake ill never live down.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Luckily if you're going to have T, now is the time to have it. Research is skyrocketing as people are finally realizing the solution is near and the cash potential is absurd.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Also bass feels as if it hits my right ear extremely hard. My ear really kicks to it

10. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Mr. Cartman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      What I do find kinda strange is that it seems like so many people are affected by T or H or both around the world.
      They got it from iPod, gun shots, exposure to noise at work and scuba diving to sum up a few causes.

Ive been doing construction work in the past, and its kinda scary how easy it is to be exposed to loud noise that could potentially trigger long term T even if you are careful. Accidents do happen.

A friend of mine recently got T and H after one night in a club. She was perfectly healthy otherwise.
      In addition to that, a friend of her got it as well, from clubbing.

I think this condition is a rapidly growing problem in society considering all the noise we now might be exposed to, either we try to be careful or not.

11. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Maybe it is eustachian tube dysfunction? I had something similar a few days ago, it lasted a few hours, my right ear went stuffy, the ringing got really intense so much so that I could hear it over the shower, but most worryingly my tinnitus started reacting to sounds, when I spoke the tinnitus went up and over my voice and any other noises, like you describe my ear was like a blown speaker, I guessing some sort of pressure change/eustachian tube dysfunction, luckily only lasting for a few hours.

12. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Mr. Cartman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Is that common symptoms of eustachian tube dysfunction? Ive had that stuff for almost 6 months.
      Shouldnt an ENT be able to tell if that was the case?

13. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I don't really know mate, just a guess with the weird pressure sensations, slightly dulled hearing etc, but it was only for a few hours so doesn't really warrant further investigation with an ENT, if you're having these problems regularly than yes you should go to your ENT.

14. kevin89carolina

kevin89carolina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 30, 2014
      The reason I ask is because I've developed a crazy tinnitus after 2 gunshots without hearing protection.

Currently I have a loud high pitched ringing in my right ear, when I lay my head down on the pillow on my right side it is screaming loud. In my left ear, it's like a morse code beeping/whistling feedback kind of thing. Whenever I watch tv or listen to music it gets louder. Like feedback is coming off the sounds I'm listening to. Even the fan in the bathroom or the toilets flushing/filling up causes it to change pitch and get louder. Really hoping this dies down over time. I shot the gun almost 4 weeks ago exactly. Didn't noticed the morse code stuff until a week ago. I noticed you're going to Dallas too. What do they offer there and I hope it helps you

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      It sounds to me like your experiencing the same reactive ringing bullshit

16. kevin89carolina

kevin89carolina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 30, 2014
      I don't have tubes in either of my ears. Did you experience the whistling/feedback sound prior to having those put in? Also has anything helped you with those sounds?

I swear it sounds just like a shovel being dragged across gravel. Until I listen to music. Then it's the high pitched feedback sound.

What's in Dallas that you're thinking about seeing? Mine is so bad that I'm tempted to drive there right now myself

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Whistling? In particular, if I whistle, my ear rings in response. If that's what you mean. UT Dallas if you set up an appointment with the head audiologist, Shawn Jackson, you'll actually get a good evaluation. I can't speak from experience yet, but she has already assured me that the level of care I had received from standard ENT's was substandard and that she intends on running every test necessary to determine the root causes.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      The institution is also heading the Microtransponder VNS trial, so they are a research institution with very high standards and protocol that they follow. There is nothing run of the mill about this place. They specialize in many fields, most notably, Tinnitus and audiological research.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      I'm scheduled for June 6th, myself.

20. kevin89carolina

kevin89carolina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 30, 2014
      Thanks for the quick reply.

By whistling/feedback I mean that's what I hear whenever there's music playing or a certain sound enters my ears. Certain stuff sounds distorted. That morse code sound is horrible. Like my high frequency part of my hearing is damaged. I don't hear any ringing when I whistle though.

I really hope that they can help you. Sounds like you've been through a ton. Let us all know how it goes.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      I get feedback, as in my ear rings when something's pitch is too loud. It's like my ringing rises to match whatever it feels is too prominent of a sound. My right ear sounds distorted. It's almost as if I hear noises as they are, but I get a doubled over distortion. Almost as if the ear is saying it's taking on too much at the same time. I've never had the morse code tinnitus, but I do get transformer sounding tinnitus and hissing. Like having a dentist drill combined with a jumbo jet turbine. When it's hissing, it doesn't really bother me. When it squeals, it just makes me miserable. Now I've got this distortion and my ear drum feels like it kicks the bassdrum very hard. Bass seems extremely sensitive to me and I can feel the vibrations in my ear, which is novelty and annoying. That's why I think there is something going on with the bones or maybe the Tensor Tympani muscle that's causing an exacerbation of sound.

I appreciate the well wishes. Your T generally will go down in time, that's if it stays of course; which I naturally hope does not happen. You can't blame yourself for what happened. It was an honest mistake, just like mine. Common sense says to wear hearing protection when you shoot, but just like you, it was a lapse in judgment and I honestly just was so wrapped up in life problems, I completely spaced on it. Next thing I know, permanent tinnitus. The worst thing you can do is overreact to the problem. I understand, as I was extremely expedient and stressed, full of tears, and incredibly angry. However, in the early stages of T, it does you well to try and not focus too much on it. I know it sounds like bullshit, if you try to not recognize it as a threat, it has been scientifically shown to have a level of affect on the chances of it getting better. Reason why is that your brain is neuroplastic. Meaning it can adapt and physically re-wire itself to react in certain manners. It has to do with the Thalamus and the Amygdala. I can only tell you what I've read, but it may do you some good to research those two components of the brain and how they affect Tinnitus. If you recognize Tinnitus as a threat, your brain can actually perceive it as so, and put more focus to that threat. Just as our fight or flight mechanisms kick in if we're being attacked, our brain focuses and directs in a very specific manner in order to cater to what the body needs to do. So naturally, I advise that you seek help and see someone worth a damn (your typical ENT in my experience offers very little knowledge and a fuck all attitude about T), which is why I would suggest looking at UT Dallas among other institutions that specialize in the field and therefore have a REAL understanding of the research, processes, etc. that are occurring. Be adept, direct, assertive in your quest for answers, because as I learned early on, some doctors just A.) Don't care and B.) Don't like being asked questions that make them feel inferior and finally C.) Don't let them brush your questions by the wayside as several times I've had them try and placate rather than respond.

Stay up, stay hopeful, stay smart, and put some focus into learning about treatments and the field. Lastly, again...do NOT put too much stress into the threat of T as it can have a very REAL impact on your chances of it improving. I get where you're coming from, that initial holy shit, what's going on. I've got to solve this RIGHT NOW feeling. I had it, still have it to a lesser degree, but I try to approach things in a much less radical way than I had in the past. It's not me giving up, it is me re-positioning my strategy. And just like a business, sometimes I fall back into bad habits and get emotional, and it will happen. If you have further questions, feel free to shoot them my way. I'm not as much as an expert as many of the people on this forum, but I do have some insight and am more than happy to help. Also, I have somewhat of a brash opinion, so don't take it personally if I come off as mean or pissy sometimes. My previous posts are expressions of my frustration, not of my intellect. Have a good rest of your day and I hope to hear from you.

• Like Like x 1
    22. kevin89carolina

kevin89carolina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 30, 2014
      I understand not to panic and to try to ignore it. But I hear this over everything and nothing masks it, so it's tough to kind of escape from it and relax.

The high pitched hissing/ringing is a cringe worth thing that hopefully will die down just a bit over time. The other one likes to just let me know it's there all the time. Reminds me of a rock being caught in a tin bowl just bouncing around. Just a constant "taaann tantan tannn tantan tannn tan tan tan tantantanan tan tan tann" in my left ear that magnify's with white noise/fans/music/television. So weird.

How far away is UT Dallas from you? I'm in NC so that's a ways for me. But if it means help, then I'm willing to go

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      I'm in Tulsa, Oklahoma so around 300-400

24. Huck

Huck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015