Ear Spasms/Twitching?

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by Hichem, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Hichem

Hichem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Hi guys,

In like September 2015 I had Tinnitus, I panicked for couple of weeks and went to ENTs and stuff, did MRI and I'm fine, although a psychiatric said it's from my anxiety (not sure even if I have one). Although I only notice it at silence and it doesn't affect me now.

Anyway,

Past month I've been experiencing this twitching inside my ear, it used to happen like once every 5/4 days or so, I ignored it thinking it's no big deal, but in the past 2 days I've been having it several times a day for couple of seconds, I'm starting to worry about it and was wondering if anyone can help me know what's going on?

Is it like anxiety related? (since January I've been 24/7 in my room alone if that helps)
      Or is it like earwax touching eardrum?
      Or damage in inner ear?

Thanks for an answer and for reading!

EDIT: I think I caught a slight cold in the past week and usually between winter/spring change I get ill sometimes but I never had this twitching before, just thought I'd drop this maybe It'll help

2. Nowhearthis

Nowhearthis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MEM
      Hi Hichem,
      The twitching may be middle ear myoclonus. Check out tensor tympanic, stapedial, and palatal myoclonus. Middle ear muscle spasms that can be very disturbing. Often brought on from stress/anxiety or other neuro disorder. A good ENT will be able to confirm. Hope you feel better.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hichem

Hichem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Hi,
      I was planning to visit an ENT tomorrow but somehow today, since I woke up I have no twitching or anything.. weird
      didn't really expect that since last few days were annoying but, if it's gone then good riddance, hope it's not temporary

4. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I also have this spasms or what you want to call it. I noticed it like in february-march last year. Very weird.

5. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Yep, me too, just started couple of months ago or so ?
      Like a pulsating thump kind of thing ?

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Could mine or our tinnitus have any relations with these symptoms?

One thing I also had (haven't had it for months now) was sometimes when I would drink out of a coca cola can or drink soup from a spoon - under the moment Im opening my mouth to drink, when my lips touch the can, my both years/sides would vibrate or spasm and it stopped when I stopped drinking. Like I'm holding the spoon, as soon as Im getting close and making contact with it and open my mouth, my ears/sides would vibrate.

7. MrBonk

MrBonk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/Insane sinus congestion/TMJ/mold allergy/dog bark??????
      I've got this weird thing, which doesn't sound like anything anyone else has described.

I've had it happen periodically throughout my life, I assumed it was normal. Sometimes after yawning, or in place of a yawn, get this vibrating sensation that moves up from the bottom of my throat to my ears and causes my ET/Eardrum to vibrate or push in and out. Sounds like a *Deewhoooop*. And at it's worst I can physically feel the spasm/air push the ear drum out and then back in and fall back into normal place.

Several months ago, it started happening 10-20 times a day in my left ear. I could redirect part of it sometimes to my right ear. Eventually it stopped happening so frequently. But still happens occasionally, most recently it happens strangely when i'm in bed sleeping or when I wake up first thing in the morning. (When my ears are the most gunked up)

My left ear is also my problematic TMJ ear, crackling when I move it, discomfort when eating sometimes, feels like the joint is messed up but not painful and is pulling on my ear drum/ETube. Causing the ETube to open really easily, when I try to blow my nose. The air immediately goes into my left ear drum a lot of times. (It started to go away for a while then came back recently), so blowing my nose is very difficult and uncomfortable.
      My right side has TMJ issues, but it feels gunked up all the time. Need to pop it a lot first thing in the morning or it feels like I have more noticeable hearing issues lately. I was making a z word sound the other day (Sneeze) and holding it, and then my right tmjoint had an incredible amount of pain out of nowhere, like the muscle was having a charlie horse.

I got a crappy recording with a small mic in my ear once of my ear drum thing. Sounds completely different than the way I hear it in my head.
      One of the recordings picks up the spasm in the low frequencies predominately. Headphones or a speaker system with more low end will make the sound more apparent.
      Here they are. https://www.mediafire.com/?3oyo3abkygo44h1