Ear Stents?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Venusa, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Venusa
      Pensive

Venusa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      As a bit of background, I first developed T in 2010, but it very recently spiked two weeks ago and hasn't backed down. (It has never spiked before.)

Anyway, I just had a hearing test and exam by an ENT. The verdict? Everything looks great. (What a double-edged sword, right?) She did comment that I have "mild" TMJ and recommended getting fitted for ear stents. She warned that they aren't FDA-approved, but might help. (Even she didn't seem too enthusiastic about them though.) I'm happy to pay money for effective treatment, but I don't want to throw money away, or do anything that might be damaging. Has anyone has ear stents help their tinnitus by treating TMJ?

Or should I go the dentist route? My dentist has been telling me I need to do something about my TMJ for quite sometime now, and I'm wondering if it's time to take him up on it. He's helped fix other dentists' shoddy work, so I trust him.

EDIT: I should mention that the stents aren't surgically inserted. They are removable, and it's recommended not to wear them 24/7.

2. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hi Venusa,

I would "grab the low hanging fruit" and go to the dentist for TMJ to see what he has to say and how that could possibly help your situation. Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Venusa
      Pensive

Venusa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @MikeL1972 Thank you, I think that's a great idea. Why go directly to experimental methods? And, even if it doesn't help my T, it probably is good not to have my jaw popping so much.