Ear Wax Effect — Stories of People's Tinnitus Going Away After Removing Excess Ear Wax?

Discussion in 'Support' started by kariakoo, May 29, 2017.

1. kariakoo

kariakoo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Wax Accumulation
      I have had tinnitus in my right ear for almost 4 weeks now due to earwax. The intensity of the ringing/hissing sound went down after ENT doctor removed earwax that was lodged against my eardrum. However, my tinnitus is still there. I am usually not bothered during daytime or even when falling asleep but it comes back when I am asleep and wakes me up. Sometimes the intensity is almost same as it was when I had earwax.

I know there is a chance that tinnitus might not go away completely but are there any success stories in this forum where it went completely away for folks with earwax issues?

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Are you sure it is earwax that caused your tinnitus? Did you have your ears irrigated or microsuctioned to remove the wax? If so did you apply olive oil eardrops to the ear for 2 to 3 times a day for at least 7 days before the procedure? Do you listen to music through headphone or attend places where loud music is played? Clubs, concerts etc? Loud noise is the most common cause of tinnitus.
      It would be helpful to answer the above questions then we can get a broader picture of what is happening to you and give an indication of what caused the tinnitus.
      Michael

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kariakoo

kariakoo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Wax Accumulation
      Hi Michael.

Before I went to ENT I had applied olive oil and ear wax solution for a week to soften the earwax. ENT doctor used microsuction to remove wax and I immediately felt tinnitus intensity go down to low level hissing sound. However, it did not go away completely.

I don't listen to music using headphones and rarely go to clubs, concerts or any loud places. I only use headphones for about 2 -3 hours a week when watching some online videos.

4. Abs
      Bookworm

Abs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi! Im on the same boat as you but i just got mine micro suctioned today! Im having the same experience of it now being a low hissing sound. I think what we have to do is just wait and see, give our ears time to heal completely, and remember that the average joe wouldnt post on this site if they made a full recovery (even if they made the effort to look for it). Its only some that do because of compromise or because they felt ingrained in the community. So dont lose hope!

5. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      I had problems with ear wax for years and would have the wax removed via water syringe.
      When my ear was full of wax it would be that bad I would wake up deaf! This also caused ringing hissing etc but once the wax was removed all the symptoms would be gone until the wax built up over time.
      The wax issues started after I had chicken pox when I was 21. Doctors said no colleration between chicken pox and ear wax but I believe this caused it.