Earbuds / Earplug Combo: Etymotic HD5

Discussion in 'Support' started by Natalie Roberts, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      I recently told my audiologist I've started going back to the gym and want to protect my hearing/ reduce irrigation from loud music etc but I also listen to music and she recommended etymotic brand. I've used their earplugs before so I checked in Amazon and their website and found a cool pair that not only blocks external dangerous sounds but also plays music at only safe levels and can not be elevated to hazardous. Just thought some of you might appreciate this!

They're called Etymotic HD5 and run about $59 with free shipping from Amazon. I'm going to get a pair!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JBGLFOO/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apis_1485696890296

2. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Natalie thanks for the information.

Personally I cannot put any type of earbud in my ear. I have always used Bose headset at the gym to protect from all the unexpected loud clanging and such. I do use music therapy while on the treadmill though. But I have always used tightly wound up cotton balls to insulate the music from direct contact into my ear with the Bose. This has worked now for a very long time.

I find those Etymotic earbuds interesting because of the protection of the surrounding pad thingy. Would love to hear what your experience is.

The Bose is sorta like Micky Mouse.....look.....but I got over that...

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. John_415

John_415 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hey Nathalie,
      Thanks for sharing, my T started after using headphones with unlimited volume controls. If I had these to begin with I would have never gotten T in the first place.

I hear Etymotic makes really good elektronic hearing protection as well like the Etimotic Music Pro, im thinking of getting that one.

4. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I know the original post is from last year, but this was a great find and worth bumping.

These could be a more affordable option for the sound therapy part of TRT. On another thread, a member who underwent TRT with Jasterboff said that even he said earbuds with white noise were safe. Many other audiologists have said the same. These have the added bonus of ensuring sound is not accidentally too loud.

5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @Natalie Roberts ,
      Your looking lovely on your photo and hope you and your girls are ok.
      Love glynis x

6. John_415

John_415 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I just noticed, this was from a year ago. I still feel like its 2017, hope your doing well.
      Regards,
      John