Earbuds or the Car Radio Worsened My Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by weezy, Mar 2, 2021.

1. weezy

weezy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music- headphones
      I happened to find this forum last night and am glad that I did. I have had tinnitus for as long as I remember and it never bothered me at all until one night in late January when I woke up in the middle of the night to a loud hissing sound in both ears.

Since that night the ringing has become all consuming affecting my mood, my outlook on life and happiness to the point that I actually started to smoke to help with the anxiety.

I am going to see an Audiologist next week to find out what is going on.

Prior to the onset I started to wear earbuds for maybe an hour a day or so and had the volume on the radio in my car a little louder than normal that may have contributed to this spike.

Just glad that I found this forum and I stopped surfing the internet and YouTube because of all the misinformation out there.

My Doctor prescribed Hydroxyzine for me and I sleep through the night. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Headphones, earbuds and headsets are common causes of tinnitus, because people aren't aware they are listening to audio at too high a volume. Other types of loud noise exposure can cause tinnitus too. My advice is not to use headphones and the other devices even at low volume and keep away from loud music.

Click on the links below and read my articles that you might find helpful.

All the best

Michael

New to Tinnitus, What to Do? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum
      Tinnitus, A Personal View | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

3. Rusty Sharts

Rusty Sharts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency noise
      I have tinnitus. Cars are a problem. Many are overlooking the integrated sound systems in newer cars. High pitch noise undetectable by most. The speakers are always on, even if music is off. The amp is on and speakers ready for hands free, car warning tones, etc. Wear ear plugs while driving. Takes a month of earplugs to go back to normal. I have to test cars before buying. Some worse than others. Older cars with less tech not an issue. Mine is from electronics, not the wind or bumps.