Earplug Advice for Attending Family Function ("Very Loud Restaurant" Noise Levels)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mystery Reader, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still Under Investigation
      Hi guys,

I will be attending a family function within the next couple of weeks that is likely to reach "very loud restaurant" noise levels. I need some advice on the best type of ear plug to use in this kind of environment; something other than foam plugs.

Can you recommend any specific brands and what noise dB reduction level to get? Musicians plugs? Other types?

I don't have time to get customs made, although I should have done that by this point.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated; also, brands with adjustable filters, etc. There are so many different types out there and I'm not sure I understand all the technical lingo.

Are there any you can use, carry on a conversation, and not concern yourself too much about occlusion effect?

Thanks so much for your help,

Mystery Reader

2. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @Mystery Reader
      'How does NRR change decibels of exposure?
      When hearing protection is worn, your level of exposure to noise is based on the NRR rating of the protection device being used. Keep in mind, however, that while the NRR is measured in decibels, the hearing protector being used does not reduce the surrounding decibel level by the exact number of decibels associated with that protector’s NRR. For example, if you are at a rock concert where the level of noise exposure is 100 dB and you are wearing earplugs with an NRR 33dB, your level of exposure would not be reduced to 67 dB. Instead, to determine the actual amount of decibel deduction applied (when decibels are measured dBA which is the most common), you take the NRR number (in dB), subtract seven, and then divide by two. Given the previous example, your noise reduction equation would look like the following: (33-7)/2 = 13'

3. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I would use the foam 32 db ones you can get from most drug stores.

4. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Yes, 32 to 33 db foam plugs. Look at Mack's ultra soft that are beige color to not draw attention to it.

5. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Foam earplugs are probably the best protection you can get, assuming you insert them deeply into the inner ear canal. I recommend that you stick to this conventional solution, as a safety-first approach.

I personally use these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Uvex-X-Fit-UnCorded-Plugs-Pairs/dp/B00XEU4MFC

My suggestion is that you by some different brands and try them out at home.

6. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Alpine MusicSafe Classics come with two different noise filters, for different levels of protection. They're not going to give you as much protection as a pair of foam ones, but you probably won't need more for a family function, unless it's very, very loud. I'd bring along a pair of the recommended foam ones, just in case non-foam ones are not doing enough. I bring pairs of Etymotics, Eargasms, Alpine MusicSafe, foam ones, and sometimes N/R headphones, when I go out, but I like to be prepared for anything.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still Under Investigation
      For an update, I did attend, opted for foam earplugs, didn't talk muck, and didn't stay long. Even with the foam plugs, the noise level became uncomfortable (a lot of people talking in a smallish area, and music - though not loud - playing).

Can't honestly say if there was a spike or not, as the T has been kind of all over the place lately after getting caught in traffic right next to a fire engine with the siren blasting. (I did have Walker muffs in the car with me and was able to put them on, but not sure if they cut enough noise. It was less than a minute, but it was right next to my car trying to get through traffic.)

Thanks to all who responded!

Mystery Reader