Earplugs Hurt in Right Ear?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sarah200, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Hi all

Ok so both earplugs came today and I tried the PartyPlug Pro ones first (both earplugs from Alpine).

They reduced the volume a lot and when I watched The Infinity War trailer with full volume on my tablet it felt like I was listening to it at half the volume with the plugs, and when I used my hairdryer again no spike afterwards and was able to dry my hair in peace.

So the PartyPlug plugs are good and they work but after about an hour and a half they started to become a little uncomfortable, so then I tried the MusicSafe Pro ones and put the gold filters in and I watched the trailer and did the hairdryer test again and saw no difference to the PartyPlug, they both are the same at reduction so the trailer still felt like half volume with the MusicSafe ones.

The plus side for the MusicSafe were that they were easier to insert into my ears as they come with this plastic thing that helps put them in whereas the PartyPlug Pro did not so they were a bit more fiddly.

The MusicSafe Pro are also more comfortable to wear and they were still comfy after 2hrs (I watched several videos of Infinity War and Deadpool 2 on high volume, never once got a spike after wearing them), but the only downside was that the MusicSafe earplugs were only uncomfortable in one ear, my right ear, so I'm not sure if there's something wrong with that ear?

The only other thing is I noticed that the PartyPlug Pro ones reduced my tinnitus so that even in talking scenes I could not hear my tinnitus but with the MusicSafe Pro ones I could still hear my tinnitus, so not sure why the PartyPlug Pro reduced tinnitus and the MusicSafe Pro did not?

I'm glad that both work and that I'm 100% confident that I will be fine on Friday when going to see Infinity War.

Any ideas on why my right ear hurts with the plugs in (both plugs hurt in my right ear)?

My left ear is more comfy with the MusicSafe Pro and they are easier to put in so am leaning towards wearing them.

2. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      It is not uncommon for one ear canal to be narrower than the other so stop worrying. The main point is that the plugs worked for you

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      One thing to look out for with earplugs is impacted earwax.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      How do you prevent impacted earwax, I still use cotton buds which I know you're not supposed to but I'm not sure how to clean your ears with tinnitus?

5. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Don’t put anything down your ear. Ever. It’s kind of ironic advice since we tend to stick earplugs in our ears. The only thing you can do if there is some dryness or compaction is to put some olive oil down. Your ears are a self-cleaning organism; as the skin in your ear canals grows outwards it brings wax and debris with it.

If you get pain when you put the earplugs in - depending what type of pain - it could well be compacted wax getting pushed up against your eardrum when you push them in.

• Funny Funny x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Do I just pour a tablespoon into my ear?

7. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Thanks Ed, that will be a lot easier to use:)