Ears Reactive Towards Appliances etc. Anyone Else Get This?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Vicki14, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Hello :)

So, after strimming my garden just over a month ago (with Peltor muffs on). My left ear spiked. That night I hear what sounded like a bluebottle buzzing,which I thought it was... sadly not! On top of my usual hissing and ringing I now have what sounds like a distant buzzing... like someone is strimming in the distance.

Noises before which would mask or help cover up my tinnitus have only now become more annoying, like there's a buzz coming off it and it's really irritating. Like the shower (gutted about this as I got respite here), tumble drier, fridge, kettle, my computer at work etc... practically anything that makes a noise.

I'm guessing that this has been caused due to 'damage' from the strimming...? Has anyone else experienced this? If so, have you found it gets any easier? The addition of all these new sounds is frustrating to say the least!!

Thank you xx

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      There are lots of threads on here about T that 'reacts' to external sound. It seems quite common, although the sounds that irritate vary from person to person. This might correspond to the damaged part of your hearing system ? Who knows... I do know T is weird and very individual to each of us. Mine reacts by 'hissing' much louder if I hear cutlery clanking and toilets flushing or baths filling. Its weird and quite horrible. It only reacts on what I now call 'bad' days though. Not all days are bad...about 3/4 days a week are bad. Still not worked out a pattern - its just odd.
      Wear 3M Peltor ear defenders when you use your strimmer - they are excellent and will avoid your ears getting annoyed.
      Peace X

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vicki14
      Panicky

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      @Kelvin Thanks so much for your reply! Yeah, I agree! Filling up the bath irritates mine too and the sound from the tap sounds lovely ke a swarm of bees. So damn irritating, today I could rip my head off!! When I drive the car, there is a fire engine neee naw neee naw wind tunnel like sound. My sounds react constantly so would love to have 'better' days! Would you say yours has improved? :)

4. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      To be honest its been just over a year and its the same...no change. The Big difference is I know what it is now and with the support of the lovey folk on here it no longer scares me. Its still annoying and I hate it but I am not scared.
      I just pray every day it will go as fas as it arrived.o_O
      You will have good or better days....and they seem extra special because of the bad days
      Wishing you peace soon friend X

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vicki14
      Panicky

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Thank you @Kelvin, I love your positive attitude and it's great to have that mental strength! I so hope you're right about 'better days' as mine just seem to be going from bad to worse.... there's only so far my positivity can stretch before the elastic band snaps!! It's thanks to the good folk like yourself that keep us buoyant in these very stormy seas. Thank you xx

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vicki14
      Panicky

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      That's the thing too.... I did!!!! :banghead: X

7. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      Oh sorry...I read your post too fast.
      You hearing must be super super sensitive at the moment.
      There seems to be little that helps H apart from time and for some people TRT.
      Its expensive but maybe ask your local NHS and GP if they can help. Unfortunately mine wouldn't.
      Quite a bit of useful information on here and yet another forum, but this one is great to be honest.
      http://www.hyperacusis.net
      Whilst your waiting get a gardener in to help and sit and watch ( with your Peltors on )...every cloud and all that !

article-2299409-18EE8F7F000005DC-217_638x474.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vicki14
      Panicky

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Hahaha!! Nice one @Kelvin... I'm liking your thought process here! Ha. Sounds nds like a plan!! ;). I'll watch the vid now, cheers!!

I've actually paid privately for TDT, Tinnitus desensitising therapy. Not too sure if it did much but I wear white noise generators every day!

Thanks for your help and the laugh!! X

9. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      I don't think it's enough just to wear protection for some things. It has to be total avoidance unless absolutely necessary. At least for the truly very loud things. And I've gotta say, walking past people gardening while I'm on the sidewalk is loud enough. Can't be imagine being in the thick of it.