Ears Won't Stop Ringing — Could Fire Alarm Exposure Caused Tinnitus Onset 5 Days Later?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by StuNews, Mar 21, 2021.

1. StuNews

StuNews Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Next to smoke alarm maybe
      I tested 5 smoke alarms in my house on last Sunday, all of them going off with a 1-2 second high-pitched beep.

I had no issues at all right after but got up Friday morning and my ears were ringing and haven't stopped since. I'm afraid I've damaged them permanently and am in distress.

I've had no ear or hearing issues previously. Could the smoke alarms -- even at only 1-2 seconds done this -- or is it more likely something else? Wax build-up? Infection?

Also, if it was the smoke alarms, why would it take 5 days for the ringing to start? Would that indicate it's not likely the smoke alarms?

Very scared and look forward to knowledgeable folks sharing info. Thanks!

2. buttercake

buttercake Guest

I guess it depends on how loud the smoke alarms were, but I suspect that they were the culprit. You should see a doctor as soon as possible; usually in the early days after noise trauma they give a course of steroids that might help mitigate the possible damage.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

3. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Yes. That's pretty much how it happens. Nerves die off slower over time. Expect sounds to change for a weekish.