Effect of Low-Level Laser Therapy on Cochlear Hair Cell Recovery After Gentamicin-Induced Ototoxicit

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Molan, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Molan
      No Mood

Molan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Lasers Med Sci. 2012 Sep;27(5):987-92. doi: 10.1007/s10103-011-1028-5. Epub 2011 Dec 4.
      Effect of low-level laser therapy on cochlear hair cell recovery after gentamicin-induced ototoxicity.

Rhee CK, He P, Jung JY, Ahn JC, Chung PS, Suh MW.
      Source

Department of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery, Dankook University College of Medicine, Cheonan, Korea.
      Abstract

Cochlear hair cells are the sensory receptors of the auditory system. It is well established that antibiotic drugs such as gentamicin can damage hair cells and cause hearing loss. Rescuing hair cells after ototoxic injury is an important issue in hearing recovery. Although many studies have indicated a positive effect of low-level laser therapy (LLLT) on neural cell survival, there has been no study on the effects of LLLT on cochlear hair cells. Therefore, the aim of this study was to elucidate the effects of LLLT on hair cell survival following gentamicin exposure in organotypic cultures of the cochlea of rats. The cochlea cultures were then divided into a control group (n = 8), a laser-only group (n = 8), a gentamicin-only group (n = 8) and a gentamicin plus laser group (n = 7). The control cultures were allowed to grow continuously for 11 days. The laser-only cultures were irradiated with a laser with a wavelength of 810 nm at 8 mW/cm(2) for 60 min per day (0.48 J/cm(2)) for 6 days. The gentamicin groups were exposed to 1 mM gentamicin for 48 h and allowed to recover (gentamicin-only group) or allowed to recover with daily irradiation (gentamicin plus laser group). The hair cells in all groups were stained with FM1-43 and counted every 3 days. The number of hair cells was significantly larger in the gentamicin plus laser group than in the gentamicin-only group. The number of hair cells was larger in the laser-only group than in the control group, but the difference did not reach statistical significance. These results suggest that LLLT may promote hair cell survival following gentamicin damage in the cochlea. This is the first study in the literature that has demonstrated the beneficial effect of LLLT on the recovery of cochlear hair cells.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22138884

Just to clarify this is a different study to the one I posted in another thread,

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...growth-of-damaged-cochlear-hairs-in-rats.665/

Although it was done by the same people, that particular study was to do with acoustic trauma whereas this study focuses on Gentamicin induced otoxicity.

2. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Interesting ,I have a Terraquant unit (googleifyou want to see what it is) never used it consistently for my T .

By the way had anear infection which made My T go through the roof and isstill bad.Thing is they gave me gentomicin dropsa few minutes after I put them in my ears Icannot begin to tell you how bad my T got,I was holding on to my wife telling her I cant go on. It was like someone had put a flute in my ear and blowing as loud as he could.Calmed down after a few hours

If you are given antibiotic ear drops ,throw them in the bin.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Molan
      No Mood

Molan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I'm really sorry to hear that, I truly hope one day it can be reversed for you. Don't give up hope!

According to what I have read in order for the laser to reach our inner ears it needs to have a wavelength of 650nm - 800nm.

There is a ton of interesting information about using LLLT for Tinnitus on this site,

http://www.tinnituspatient.de/ukindex.htm

4. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/26/1992...habituated after 2 years; 11/04/11 new outbreak
      Molan

very interesting study

i wonder what possibly could be the connection between laser light exposure and the preservation and or rehabilitation of hair cells ? ? ?

and does it have to be laser light...would flooding the ear thru the round window with incoherent, broad spectrum light, save hearing hair cells just as well ?

quite a puzzle

thanks for finding the article

best wishes
      mt

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Molan
      No Mood

Molan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hey Mock Turtle,

yes it's interesting isn't it? I think it's something to do with LLLT being able to stimulate ATP production in the cell and therefore produce more oxygen and stimulate the enzymes leading to cell regeneration. I think I've explained that right although the actual scientific process as to how it works is abit more complicated then what I have written.

From the research it seems to have be a certain wavelengh for it to penetrate and reach the inner ear. Anything below a certain wavelength is said to be ineffective.

This site should hopefully answer some questions for you.

http://www.tinnituspatient.de/ukindex.htm

6. FERNANDO GIL

FERNANDO GIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Completely right.