Efficacy of Different Protocols of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation for the Treatment of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by erik, Aug 28, 2012.

1. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Efficacy of different protocols of transcranial magnetic stimulation for the treatment of tinnitus

Objectives. Tinnitus is related to alterations in neuronal activity of auditory and nonauditory brain areas. Targeted modulation of these areas by repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) has been proposed as a new therapeutic approach for chronic tinnitus. Methods. Two randomized, double-blind, parallel-group, controlled clinical trials were performed subsequently and pooled for analysis. A total of 192 tinnitus patients were randomly allocated to receive 10 stimulation sessions of either sham rTMS, PET-based neuronavigated 1 Hz rTMS, 1Hz r TMS over the left auditory cortex, or combined 20 Hz rTMS over the left frontal cortex, followed by 1 Hz rTMS over the left auditory cortex. Results. rTMS treatment was well tolerated and no severe side effects were observed. All active rTMS treatments resulted in significant reduction of the TQ as compared to baseline. The comparison between treatment groups failed to reach significant differences. The number of treatment responders was higher for temporal rTMS(38%) and combined frontal and temporal rTMS (43%), as compared to sham (6%). Conclusions. This large study demonstrates the safety and tolerability of rTMS treatment in patients with chronic tinnitus. While the overall effect did not prove superior to placebo, secondary outcome parameters argue in favour of the active stimulation groups, and specifically the combined frontal and temporal rTMS protocol.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Seems like several of these new treatments work on stimulating the neural pathways whether it be rTMS or what Dr Dalton is doing with Dichonics.

3. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      The latest issue of the ATA's "Tinnitus Today" has a full article on this. rTMS does not appear to be very effective, yet. But wouldn't it be nice to sit down in an rTMS chair - like getting a hair cut - and get instant relief?

Jennifer Born is the editor or "Tinnitus Today". She was on the radio yesterday talking about this. Apparently the ATA is funding rTMS, but not Dichonics, which is getting funding from the Veterans Administration, if I have my facts right. (Makes me wonder why Dichonics is asking patients to pay for MEG scans, though. Something doesn't make sense.)

So, we have a lot of different organization in the mix to find a cure. I sense that these organizations can be somewhat territorial, publicizing only the research which they fund.

• Funny Funny x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Karl those are good points and questions. I guess time will tell.

5. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      I've been cynical, but I stand corrected about "organizations being somewhat territorial".

Just had an email exchange with the ATA, with this positive reply: "..ATA agrees completely that wherever the cure comes from - we don't care. We just want it. And are going to publicize the heck out of it when it happens. We work really closely with the TRI group - who are some of the leading minds in the world on this condition."

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Nice to know us and the ATA are on the same page with "wherever the cure comes from - we don't care. We just want it."

• Agree Agree x 1