Electrical Stimulation — The Magical Cure We've All Been Waiting for?

Discussion in 'Support' started by David S, Aug 29, 2021.

1. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      There are quite some activity around treating tinnitus with electrical stimulation.

First out and already on the market we have Lenire that sends electrical stimulation via the tongue:

Lenire — Bimodal Stimulation Treatment by Neuromod

Then we have Susan Shore and the University of Michigan tinnitus device. Her work involves stimulation via the face and neck:

New University of Michigan Tinnitus Discovery — Signal Timing

And now lately this UCI research initiative. An innovative implantable device that is placed behind the eardrum to get optimal stimulation of the cochlea. As I understand it, it is not as invasive as the typical cochlear implant because the device just stimulates from the outside:

UCI — Acoustic and Electrical Stimulation for the Treatment of Tinnitus

Finally, we have this electrical acupuncture. The study does not seam to be to scientific though:

Neuropuncture — An Effective Treatment Method for Patients with Subjective Tinnitus

What do you think? Is electrical stimulation something to hope for in the next coming years?

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    2. Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Coronavirus
      I doubt that the real cure for tinnitus would come from this approach.

I'm more hopeful in stem cells or other type of regenerative medicine.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I just wish there were some more regenerative options on the horizon. In the shorter perspective I think this is what we have to hope for.

4. Sironketchup

Sironketchup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL / Stress / Covid?
      I think electrical stimulation / neuromodulation might suppress the tinnitus, but maybe not cure it.

But that's fine for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Coronavirus
      Yes, but I'm rather reluctant to try these approaches, they seem like hit and miss.

There are people here who got worse after Lenire, for instance.

I know stem cells are kind of a shot in the dark too, but at least I've never seen anyone reporting deterioration after trying them.

6. Malamute

Malamute Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I think the UCI system is very promising. In principle, the cochlea is stimulated with a basic frequency, just like an invasive CI does. The test results were promising. The function of the system was proven with the "Tinnelec" system a few years ago.

7. PortugalTheMan
      Shocked

PortugalTheMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety / Maybe years listening to music on headphones
      If these treatments are promising, why do we go to doctors and not talk about them?

What's the point of having treatments if doctors don't give them to patients?

Are they already available?

8. Malamute

Malamute Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      The Tinnelec study is from 2011 and was carried out in Hanover / Germany. The project did not continue - perhaps for economic reasons. Why should a CI manufacturer want to replace its € 16,000 system with a € 5,000 device? No interest...

I hope UCI finishes the project and it is available soon.