Emergency Crisis State

Discussion in 'Support' started by Karl28, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      I’m in a very bad place.
      My tinnitus has spiked and I’ve got a new noise in my left ear which is like a rapid on off loud whining.

It makes it impossible to sleep. Seriously a constant steady ring is much easier to tune out then this.

Anyway because of this I haven’t slept in 4 days I’ve been anxious and vomiting.

My parents are stressed to the max.

This is the worst I’ve ever been since i got tinnitus in 2001.

I spent all last night looking up painless ways to kill myself and I have a plan now for the soon to be future.

The problem now is that my mum wants me to goto a hospital or psych ward place and stay there. But what I’m concerned about is the noise there. I also have hyperacusis and I need peace and quiet. If they stuck me in a ward even with my own private room I think I’d panic and be even worse if people were coming and going, there was noise outside and in the hallways etc...

I don’t know what to do.

I’ve had tinnitus since 2001 so I'm very experienced with it but right now in ok crisis and very suicidal. It’s all due to this damn new noise I now have that’s keeping me awake and putting me through hell. There’s absolutely no way to sleep with it.

:(

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. BobK544

BobK544 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      suspect sulfur medication
      Kari, i got T back in 1991 and it was pretty intense back then and then it became a low hiss over time, but recently it came back after taking NasaCort medication and now i'm having a spike as well and haven't had much sleep either, so i can absolutely understand your situation. And yes the problem is getting enough sleep and so i have 1mg melatonin time release and benadryl ready to go and may soon take it just to get some decent sleep and once you/we can get enough sleep, the T intensity should improve ok? But long term, you will want to talk to your GP/ENT and see if you can get something stronger if the melatonin and benadryl don't work, but everything i'm reading says its ok to use sleep medication to get you through this period and then things will settle down. So hang in there an know that i'm going through this with you this very moment and know we will make it through when we get a decent amount of sleep ok? So tomorrow night i'm going to try the M and B and see how well it works as i telework from home on fridays and i will get back to you on friday to see how well it works as i haven't tried it yet. But i will also check back with you tomorrow to see how you're doing ok, hang in there Kari, we'l go through this together ok?

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. Nanny chocolate

Nanny chocolate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unbelievable caused by audiologist!
      Hi Karl and Bob
      I’m with both of you on this. I’ve had T since 1992 but now it’s become so loud, invasive and in both ears and in my head. My life has collapsed, like Karl I’ve been suicidal too. There is nothing to help manage the T except willpower and meds. Every time I hear the new noises firing off, they’re constant, I just don’t want to carry on.
      I’m having hypnotherapy but it’s a very cruel condition to have to live with. I’m so exhausted by trying to manage it. It’s there all day long and when I wake at night.
      Hugs to you both.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Makrohn
      Supportive

Makrohn Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss - Explosion - Stress
      I am so sorry to hear all of you suffering, and I am also sorry to say that I am in it with the three of you.

What strikes me, is that we are all veterans when it comes to T and how to cope with it, still we are struggling so much. I had habituated to my sound before I got new sounds last summer that kept changing in pitch and intensity, and they are still here. I am curious @BobK544, you say you got a spike from using NasaCort? I did use this last spring, and now I'm beginning to wonder if thats what caused my new sounds.

Can I ask what kind of sounds you are hearing?
      Mine consists of 3-4 different sounds from high pitch to low humming... I also get these beeps from time to time and they are horrible, filling my entire head.

I really feel your pain, and I pray that we all find some form of relief in order to help us carry on with our battle with T.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    5. Nanny chocolate

Nanny chocolate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unbelievable caused by audiologist!
      Hi Makrohn
      I’m constantly on this forum looking for support . My right ear has a sort of hurst girdy(it’s a fair ground) which I’ve had for a long time. It’s now joined by a low screech, tinkling and a hum. The other ear has now joined in with humming, a low wind blowing noise and the tinkling. It’s hard to believe that your body can make this level of noise and I believe mine to be exacerbated by setraline which I can’t discontinue. I’ve had a breakdown because the horror of the new noises. This is not a club we want to belong to, hate it. Hug

6. BobK544

BobK544 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      suspect sulfur medication
      So very sorry to hear all the suffering going on with everyone, this T really seems to be an epidemic which is not being taken serious like it is in the UK, where they seem to be a lot more aware of the problem and are genuinely trying to help people through their crisis. But in the US, we seem to be on our own and falling victim to supplement scams. It would be great if we could contact people 6 months after they leave a positive comment about a supposed tinnitus supplement and see if they really were helped or if it was just a temporary placebo affect. Seems to me that if these companies really did care, as they "say they do", they would followup with their testimonials and publish the results on their site, but of course we know they would never publish negative findings. So maybe Amazon, out of the goodness of their stock price, could offer discounts to purchasers if they would follow up on their comments 6 months later or so, kind of a product funded clinical trial.
      Makrohn, the 2 main sounds i initially got after using NasaCort were tonal (high pitched) and hissing (sort of a high pitched white noise sound medium level) and after using the notched therapy for a few weeks, the tonal has lessened, thank goodness as that is the most nerve racking, but by reducing the tonal, it seems to have caused an increase in the hissing sound about 30% and that's been affecting my sleep for the last 3 nights. But what i realize now is that's it very difficult to know what is causing what and for how long something, ie food, sound or action, will affect a particular spike.
      So Karl, i may try the melatonin first tonight and see how that goes, but i did read recently where someone tried M and it made their T a bit louder, but that was probably a temporary increase, based on these kinds of effects and how long they lasted from forum posts i've read.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018