Eng/VNG Testing — Afterwards Tinnitus Has Been Louder

Discussion in 'Support' started by Brooklyn NY, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Brooklyn NY

Brooklyn NY Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably pepto bismo and aspercreme
      Hi, yesterday I went for 4 tests, Eng/VNG, ABR, and Vemp. I have had tinnitus since November and my ENT is trying to figure out the cause. The tests involved clicking sounds in both ears, hot and cold air, and other sounds as well. Of course, my tinnitus has been higher ever since the tests yesterday morning.

Is this normal, and is it temporary? Thank you...

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      NEVER do those ear tests. EVER! ENT Will make your T worse. I made my permanently worse and have huge problems now after doing a caloric test. my T is much louder now (moderate-severe) and I have H on both ears. Previously I had only mild tinnitus.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ALSO,
      Do your research. Do not just listen to what they say.

4. Codaz

Codaz Member

Well their argument is always "we do it every week with all sorts of patients". But that is the same with Gentamycine treatments for disabling of the vestibular organ. You read all about the positive effects (less vertigo) but not of the negative effects. 25% of people have lower hearing BUT no reports tells about the people that have more tinnitus.

I asked an ENT what is opinion was and he told me it was irreversible and he would never do it as the risks are simply to big. Same with cutting the vestibular nerve. So always ask multiple opinions.

5. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      my ENT wanted me to do like 15 tests asap, she belived i had Meniere, acoustic neuroma, cochlear hydrops,etc

6. Anitajog

Anitajog Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Wow I never heard this but will sure take heed and investigate if I'm ever told to have these tests. So sorry that your T increased in volume.

7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I went on fine with the tests but like everything any procedure can come with risks but some tests need doing to get a diagnosis.
      Love glynis

8. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yup, I also have hearing loss which i attribute to those tests.

9. Eric Atkisson

Eric Atkisson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Combination of military service and other loud noises
      Sadly, this same thing just happened to me. I had an ENG/VNG about four weeks ago, and my tinnitus shot way up afterward. When I went back for the results of the test and asked the nurse if other people had ever had the same issue, she said yes. When I asked if it went away for them, she said it depends on the person. So basically, I took a test that revealed nothing useful but made my tinnitus permanently worse. I've never felt so disheartened by a medical experience in my whole life. The ENT doctor, on the other hand, seemed genuinely surprised when I told him about the spike in my tinnitus. I get the impression now, especially after educating myself more about tinnitus, that most ENTs really don't know that much about tinnitus and don't take it that seriously. I've been debating how best to communicate my frustration with the ENT, now that a month has passed and my tinnitus is still noticeably worse than it was before the ENG/VNG. This feels like a gross failure of the whole "Do no harm" medical ethic. :(

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    10. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You need to realize that doctors dont care about you or your health. They care about your money.
      I did the ENG/VNG tests back in January 15, 2018 and from then my T turned severe and I got severe H. It damaged a lot of my hearing. I have mild hearing loss in both ears after that test. It is permanent and you have to accept it the way it is. LET THIS BE A WARNING FOR EVERYONE DECIDING TO DO EAR TESTS, THERE IS A 95% CHANCE THTAT THEY WILL DAMAGE YOUR HEARING AND WORSEN YOUR TINNITUS.