ENT Hearing Test — Confused

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kopesy, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Kopesy
      English

Kopesy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll never know
      Hey folks,
      Went for my second ENT appointment this year yesterday, the reason being the tinnitus & hearing loss. Now the only test they performed this time was the tone test again & like last time the test results were exactly the same. What's confusing is my doctor says my ears are absolutly fine & that the tinnitus itself is causing my hearing problems, almost as if it's 'confusing' the brain when it processes the information. That's all well & good but from what I've read, anything above 20dB indicates mild hearing loss & I scored 25dB in both ears, a few 20dBs in my left, so how can he say my ears are good?? I'm really confused :depressed:

2. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      They don't check the entire range of your hearing. You probably have some loss above 8khz or whatever they tested up to.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kopesy
      English

Kopesy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll never know
      Would it then be better to go privately? This was through the NHS here in the UK.

4. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I wouldn't bother...don't think it's really going to help you in any way to pin point exactly where your hearing loss is. Just my opinion.

5. Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      ENT's hearing tests only go from 250hz to 8k. Some hospitals use expensive machines that extend that range and its used to monitor for ototoxic drug related hearing loss. Or so I am told by an audiologist.
      Telis is right and knowing exactly what you loss is doesn't matter so much, however be careful as to what meds you take.