ENT Wants to Do ABR Test After Hearing Test Results — Is It a Threat to Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by chronism, Feb 7, 2020.

1. chronism

chronism Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild since 1991, moderate since 12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      So I've had moderate tinnitus in both ears since a noise trauma event about a month ago. Had a hearing test performed today and though it showed some minor hearing loss overall in both ears, some more in my left ear. I've actually noticed a slight worse hearing in that ear for years prior the trauma a month ago.

Because of that, They want to rule out some kind of growth behind the ear or whatnot, they initially mentioned a MRI which I expressed my concerns with already having tinnitus and it spiking it. He mentioned performing the ABR instead and if it comes back good, no need for the MRI.

So who here has had this ABR? Is it a threat to my tinnitus? If it spikes it, will it eventually fade back down, or does this test do even more damage?

2. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Those things are loud af, I wouldn’t.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      chronism

chronism Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      But from what I’m reading, my asymmetrical hearing loss might be a sign of a possible tumor. If I don’t go through with the test then I risk not catching a tumor and run into bigger issues later?

4. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It can definetly make your tinnitus permanently worse. I would only do it if you really don't think your tinnitus is noise induced

With unilateral tinnitus checking for tumors is standard practice. But unilateral tinnitus is common no matter the root cause. It's a trap in my opinion. These doctors don't know much about tinnitus and gladly send people off to an MRI or ABR without knowing some of those patients will regret that for the rest of their lives.

But IF you have a tumor, well...

I don't know the details of the ABR but I think it’s 90 db sounds through headphones for an hour. A great way to make your tinnitus permanently worse

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      chronism

chronism Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      He’s not checking it for my tinnitus so much, but the fact that I show more hearing loss itself in one ear than the other, which has actually been the case for a few years prior to this tinnitus attack. I’ve noticed harder to hear in left ear a couple of years now at least.

Now that I’ve read about the tumors (which he is trying to check for) and possible issues as a result, I’m somewhat scared of not doing the test and I’ll always be wondering if I have a tumor and how long before it creates a bigger problem.

I feel like I’m screwed either way.

6. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Does your tinnitus spike from sound exposure, do you have hyperacusis?

I know very little about acoustic neuroma (this is what the MD wants to check for right, not brain cancer?)

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      chronism

chronism Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      Correct, he wants to check for acoustic neuroma since my normal hearing test indicated more hearing loss in one ear by 15. And the fact I told him I’ve noticed such for a few years and don’t partake in any activity that woulda exposed that ear frequently like shooting rifles.

I haven’t had any major spikes from noise since the onset a month ago, but I have been diligent about protecting my ears since. Just a constant squeal with some minor variance in tone. I did have some hyperacusis for a week or two but that’s settled out a bit.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. Capstan

Capstan Guest

Did you end up having the test?