Episode 1: In Search of a Tinnitus Cure — Dr. Josef Rauschecker

Discussion in 'Podcast' started by Tinnitus Talk, Jan 25, 2019.

1. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes it’s like that...

What I have noticed, they are almost all registered at LinkedIn. The business network platform.

So far I have seen:
      Josef Rauschecker, Ross O'Neill, Berthold Langguth, Dirk De Ridder, Niels Birbaumer and others.

Why don’t they connect with each other?

I couldn’t find Matteo De Nora, the Initiator of the TRI. He would be the man who could support with funding.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      upload_2019-1-29_8-12-48.png

• Like Like x 4
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      What?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. Otana
      No Mood

Otana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Great interview and thanks to the Tinnitus Talk staff for taking the time to put this together. Dr. Rauschecker really highlights the woeful under funding and lack of recognition of tinnitus research. Sure there are a few big names who have received larger grants in recent years (Shore, Tzounopoulos, etc.), but there are so many more researchers whose work has been slowed or even cancelled due to lack of funds.

We as tinnitus patients need to be better about donating to worthy research when we can and advocating for increased research funding. It's encouraging that this has been a more prevalent topic as of late on this forum and hopefully it continues to gain momentum. As misunderstood as tinnitus still is, it's important to have multiple avenues of research. Dr. Rauschecker's work into understanding the gating mechanism and the relation of higher brain functions to tinnitus are one of those avenues. I've certainly donated to his cause and I hope that others do as well.

• Like Like x 2
    5. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

TuxedoCat Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High-frequency hearing loss
      Thank you for that. There's a wonderful opportunity currently on Dr. Rauschecker's GiveCampus page.

Someone is offering a $50 match which means a donor could double some or all of their donation which is very nice. TC

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      • Like Like x 2
    7. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      If someone can't even pronounce it correctly, how much do to they know about it? How many conferences have they been to? How many academics have they consulted? Would you say something incorrectly over and over if your professors pronounced it in a different way?

I mispronounced it an hour after the ringing started and remember going to the pharmacist asking if there was anything for "tin-night-us. She directed me to the Lipoflavonoid aisle. :rolleyes: Later I went to the ear doctor who immediately corrected my pronunciation so I'd at least say it right.

Also, the word tinnitus comes from the Latin root tinnire. An "itis" would refer to an inflammation.

8. Cortina

Cortina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/08/1992
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      shotgun blast
      I totally agree. We need to lobby and get our message out to the community and the politicians. Doctors say it's not life threatening, what a joke. So many have taken their lives from this debilitating condition and so many have poor quality of life due to tinnitus. As they say, the squeaky wheel gets oiled first so let's start squeaking.

I am based in Australia and I can tell you that there is minimal support here, so I am willing to jump on with a group that is serious about moving forward with a campaign.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Watasha
      No Mood

Watasha Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Cortina As am I. Have you responded to the "Become a Tinnitus Talk Advocate" thread in the Awareness and Fundraising category?

• Like Like x 1
    10. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There is another opportunity to match a donation to Dr. Rauschecker's Fundraiser. You can access the GiveCampus page through Worthy Causes. TC

11. hoper
      Lonely

hoper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Rauschecker is a German last name (which doesn't mean he speaks German) but after listening to his English accent I was sure he speaks German too :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    12. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Transcript Now Available

We want to extend our gratitude to @Liz Windsor who volunteered a significant amount of time, effort and talent transcribing the episode, which was no simple feat, especially considering the length of the episode (83 minutes).

To access the transcript, visit the episode page here, and click on the CC icon in the audio player (next to the episode download button). The transcript is in PDF format.

Alternatively, you can access the transcript directly via this link.

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    13. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      • Like Like x 1
    14. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 1
    15. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      This is excellent @TuxedoCat!! The power of making Tinnitus Talk/Hub successful by members is so important. The ability to create the podcasts creates a bridge (reasoning) for tinnitus research efforts and tinnitus sufferers.

Hopefully this will increase the interests of other tinnitus research efforts!!

• Like Like x 1
    16. Mercedes A.

Mercedes A. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Extremely informative Tinnitus Talk Podcast with Dr. Josef Rauschecker.

He mentioned writing letters to get money for research. However, I have no idea to whom I should write, to help facilitate a dire awareness of this mental health condition.

Could someone direct me to the appropriate mental health institute to request help for research.

Mercedes A.

17. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Hi @Mercedes A. I believe @TuxedoCat and @Allan1967 are working on this aspect.

18. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Mercedes A.

Are you in the United States?

Thanks TC

19. Duncan L
      Benevolent

Duncan L Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Brain Stem injury due to over-ambitious yoga stretch
      That was a thoroughly riveting discussion - thanks to all involved. Loved his early highlighting of the pronunciation issue which is something that bugs me. But whatever camp you are in maybe if you get lucky you will only have Tinytus...

20. Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      His gating model is crap. Too many inconsistent findings on studies which attempted to replicate the initial 2006 pilot study.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Rauschecker et al. argued that the role of the limbic system in tinnitus is an active one opposed to a reactive one. In their proposed circuit, the limbic and para-limbic structures around subcallosal areas act as a self-regulating gating mechanism that prevents the tinnitus signal from reaching the cortex. When a break-down of this gating system occurs, the tinnitus signal is perceived. Chronic tinnitus is explained by the constant depletion of serotonin, which causes excitotoxicity due to the constant firing of serotonergic neurons that have to signal that the tinnitus sound needs to be filtered out (“Tuning out the Noise: limbic-Auditory Interactions in Tinnitus.” Neuron 66 (6): 819–826. doi:10.1016/j.neuron.2010.04.032.). Intermittent tinnitus can then be explained by hypothesising that serotonin levels fluctuate rather than being depleted.​

Can I ask what this means? Why is the serotonin depleted?