Episode 18: Tinnitus Realities — Steve and Sean

Discussion in 'Podcast' started by Tinnitus Talk, Nov 17, 2021.

1. tinnitus-talk-podcast-episode-18-tinnitus-realities-steve-sean.png

This episode is the first of what will hopefully become a series about the realities of living with tinnitus. Obviously, it’s different for everyone, and that’s one of the messages of this podcast.

The episode features two well-known members of this community: @Steve and @Jack Straw – thank you both for taking part and sharing your experiences with the world! Video version is available for our Patrons, so consider supporting our work!

tinnitus-talk-podcast-realities-steve-sean.png

We discuss highs and lows, coping strategies, the concept of habituation, seeking medical help, following research, and more.

And don't worry, our beloved science-focused episodes will continue - and be the primary focus of the podcast.

become-a-tinnitus-talk-patron.png

Listen on:

We welcome any discussion, but please keep the following in mind when commenting:
      • Off-topic comments, i.e. not directly responding to the content of the podcast, will be removed. So please do listen before commenting!
      • While we welcome constructive criticism on ideas or policies, we do not tolerate direct attacks on individuals.

This episode was produced by @Markku and @Hazel, with the transcript created by @Andrea Rings. Do you want to volunteer as well? Let us know!

We thank our Patreon supporters for making this podcast possible.

Don't forget to:
      Sharing Is Caring
      Share the podcast on your social media and with your tinnitus friends!

• Winner Winner x 11
      • Like Like x 5
    2. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Great episode as always. This will help those who are new to this immensely because it's reassuring to hear from those who have lived with the condition for a long time.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks for the invite!

It was really enjoyable to talk about tinnitus in a relaxed setting like this!

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Johan001

Johan001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Brilliant podcast, thank you very much. It's good to hear @Jack Straw mentioned that removing masking increased habituation. I'm currently struggling with it: as long as I remove masking I get into a panic mode.

• Hug Hug x 4
    5. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That was my personal experience with habituation. Everyone is different so you need to find what works for you, but it’s good to change it up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Johan001

Johan001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Thank you! That's what many fellow sufferers have been telling me too - remove the masking. I am trying to have some times per day to concentrate on my tinnitus and breathe, sort of meditating to it as @Hazel mentions in the podcast. However, I only last a few minutes before I panic and reach for the masking. I'm certain though that this is the way forward, I can't be running away from it for my whole life.

By the way, when you guys mentioned that some people are not wired for habituation, that scared me... As a typical OCD that I am, I think right away, what if I fall into that group :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. racedy

racedy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection and possibly noise over time
      Great episode. I thought it was fascinating that higher frequencies are cut out of recorded music these days, so we're missing those inputs if we listen on a device (rather than live).

@Johan001, I think there have been studies about habituation difficulties in folks with ASD. It likely feels more difficult to habituate to something you find stressful / panic-inducing like tinnitus rather than something more neutral, like the sound of rain. But take any second you don't hear your tinnitus as a sign of habituation success!

• Like Like x 2
    8. Johan001

Johan001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Thanks @racedy. I am not losing hope, as 17 months is still a relatively short time... I just realise I am not in the group of people, many of whom I see, who habituate in the first 6 or 12 months. Perhaps it's my OCD spectrum indeed.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    9. Tommi_boi
      Thinking

Tommi_boi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I haven't logged in here for such a long time but I wanted to show my support for the Tinnitus Talk Podcast.

I listened to the first episode and really enjoyed it. Great job guys.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    10. Expeditus

Expeditus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      This has been one of the most helpful episodes. It's nice hearing people discuss their experiences.

• Like Like x 6
    11. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      I loved this episode.

I don't usually listen to the podcast as a lot of the episodes are research-based and would probably go over my head, just like the research threads do! But hearing how Jack, Steve and Hazel cope with tinnitus was so helpful. It made me feel less alone.

Also really helpful for those new to tinnitus, I think. On this forum, it can sometimes feel like you are being asked to pick a side: advocate for a cure, or try to cope with it. I have never understood why a person can't do both at once. And I think this conversation was the perfect balance of those two things.

My favourite parts, that really spoke to me (hope it's OK to quote them here):

Jack: I know there are some people who are definitely going to see this and say, oh, how could they speak on it? They're not miserable like me. It's like, no, I was you. I was there, I still am there sometimes, but I'm not gonna let that dictate my entire life, every second of my day.

Jack: Sometimes habituation can happen to someone very quickly, {...} Hazel, you said it took you about four months. I remember it took me about two years {...}. It is a long spectrum, and no one's gonna be able to tell you how long it will take you, but I would like everyone to give it a chance and to wait it out and never lose hope that it could happen to you.

Steve: I don't accept tinnitus because I want the cure and I wanna do what I can to help get a cure, but at some point you have to accept, I am a person with tinnitus —that I don't accept that I'm gonna have it for the rest of my life, because I'm gonna do what I can to get rid of it. But I have to accept that it's there, and it's that sort of acceptance of having it, and then you’re just like, right, now I need to move on..

Also, I could listen to Steve's accent all day :)

Thanks for putting this together, guys.

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm glad you liked it! Thanks for listening!

• Like Like x 1
    13. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Great podcast!

Wait, where's @Jack Straw's picture??? :eek: :LOL:

• Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    14. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      :ROFL:

• Funny Funny x 1
    15. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      @Ed209, @Tanni, @Johan001, @racedy, @OnceUponaTime, @Expeditus, @Tommi_boi

Thank you all for your positive feedback!

I also want to report that when we sent out our newsletter announcing this episode, we received over 100 responses in two days, and all positive! It seems we've tapped into a very different audience than with our research episodes, and there clearly is a need for this kind of content. Very heartwarming to hear that people find this helpful. We should definitely do this kind of episode more often!

:love:

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 4
    16. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      l previously posted Jack Straw’s picture in the photo album. To those who are curious, here it is:

412726E5-1A2C-44E9-AEA6-DFD108D13880.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    17. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think I look good in my pirate costume! Lol.

• Funny Funny x 3
    18. Johan001

Johan001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Yes please, that'd be awesome.

Personally, I would be interested to hear from habituated people, what strategies they applied to get their lives back. There are many psychological exercises to fight the anxiety. I am currently working on a few on those. Unfortunately I'm still very debilitated, but my dream would be to share it one day after it's been proven that they have worked for me.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    19. Flet
      Alienated

Flet Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Great Podcast!

Towards the end of the episode there was mention of a free app on iOS devices. However, I couldn't quite catch what the app is called so I can get it. Any help would be appreciated.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    20. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      It was great. An episode we can all relate to. I think @Ed209 once talked about “the faces of tinnitus” when we started the photo album thread and how we should make an ad campaign for that. The photos and the podcast stories show the reality and severity of tinnitus in a softer and real way. These kinds of podcasts are the ones we can share with our family and friends. It will help them understand better how tinnitus affects us daily and that it is not only us suffering with tinnitus, but that there are many people with this debilitating condition. By listening to the podcast, they can see the many ways they can be of help and what is appropriate to say and what is not. For example, when my doctor at the time told me that there was no cure for tinnitus and to go home and live with it, he sent me into a panic attack and terrible anxiety. Had he been careful with his words, it would have saved me from a lot of anxiety. We simply need a cure, we need compassion, we need people to understand how is life for us living with tinnitus. We need to educate them more on this condition if we want to be understood.

The podcast and written stories of members, together with their photos, are an excellent way. They don’t all have to be success stories, because in reality, we don’t all have success stories of habituating or tinnitus getting better. Simple stories about how they do life with tinnitus, how they got it, what helps them would be great. There are many members in this forum whose stories are worthy of being heard. (If they want to share them, of course.)

Anyways, lots to say about this topic. So glad you put this podcast together.

Fantastic job as usual, @Hazel, @Jack Straw, @Markku and @Steve.

Warm hug to you all,
      Once

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    21. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Jack Straw, totally handsome! :eek: :LOL: :ROFL: :eek: :wacky:

• Funny Funny x 2
    22. Leila
      Daring

Leila Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 chiropractic treatment, 2 and 3 no cause
      What I liked about this episode was the many times I thought, "Yes, that's me!" and "Finally somebody who knows what they're talking about!"

It gets so frustrating at times, trying to explain to people what it's like to live with tinnitus and hyperacusis and know from the very beginning that, fortunately for them, they'll never be able to get it. So it was great to get to listen to other tinnitus sufferers talk about their ways of coping and the ways they live their life. Thank you @Hazel, @Jack Straw and @Steve for sharing something so personal with us.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    23. rid0871

rid0871 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may of 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      had my neck adjusted
      I hope you do more of these episodes, they do help. I listen to them on my Audible.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    24. rid0871

rid0871 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may of 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      had my neck adjusted
      Could not have said it better myself...

• Like Like x 3
    25. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      I think you should be interviewed, Once! Would love to hear your story.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    26. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      :eek: :LOL:

Ahh, maybe someday!

10 years of ups and downs and the story continues! :wideyed: :arghh: :LOL:

How are you, @Tanni?

27. DougAtkins24

DougAtkins24 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      String of loud concerts
      I just want to say this was by FAR the most impactful and relevant episode of your podcast that I have listened to. I don't participate in forums but I felt I needed to react to this episode. I live in Brooklyn, NY and I’ve had tinnitus for 4 years now as well and I would say it’s a severe case, but I guess that’s all relative. I got it from seeing and playing live music most of my life without ear protection from a lack of awareness. In fact, I wasn’t even aware of the existence of tinnitus until I got it myself. It has severely impacted my life in many ways and I’m still working through it. For the first 6 months, I thought I would never play music again, see a concert again, even wear headphones again as my hyperacusis was so bad. I went through a year of CBT, tried Levo and several other treatments including benzos and antidepressants. Now I do everything I never thought I’d be able to do again although it’s not easy. I still play in a band and am back to seeing concerts, going out, all things in life. I am always working on getting the correct ear protection and finding new ways of coping. It is still a daily struggle and life is not nearly as easy as it used to be. I’ve had several increases in volume and new tones and flare ups and it’s exhausting. My energy level is low and I feel mentally and physically exhausted a lot more than I should at my age of 37. But I know that it can get back and I continue to have hope for the future.

IMO, listening to other people’s perspectives and experiences is easily the most important thing for people with tinnitus to hear. Discussions with doctors and professionals are great and all but I think we know it’s going to be several/many years before any actual medical treatment is released. I think you should have different people from all walks of life on your show at least once/month so they can share their experiences and ways of coping, tackling, beating tinnitus. I like hearing people who are struggling because it helps me understand that I’m not a lone and I also know there are millions of success stories out there of people who WERE struggling and now are not, and that is just as helpful to hear if not more.

I hope to see more of this from you guys. I’m happy to contribute in anyway and share my experience. There’s nothing more important.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    28. Flet
      Alienated

Flet Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I found the app, it's called "TinnitusPlay". I'm having some difficulty in using it. And when using the Match and Test feature, though there is an option to "Save" your sounds, it does not. Seems like a glitch in the app.

Anyone with experience on the app who can help?

29. catchthebus

catchthebus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      COVID-19 Delta Variant
      I like this new series which shows how real people live their lives with tinnitus and deal with the reality. It’s that kind of content that can help me the most with where I’m currently at - struggling with my tinnitus and finding ways to keep going in spite.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    30. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      It's called TinnitusPlay, and we co-designed it ourselves!

We have a separate thread about it here. Let us know what you think, and leave a review :)

• Hug Hug x 1