Episode 3: Tinnitus, The Musician's Curse? — CJ Wildheart

Discussion in 'Podcast' started by Tinnitus Talk, Apr 30, 2019.

1. tinnitus-talk-podcast-episode-3-cj-wildheart.png

Hey there everyone!

We are absolutely delighted to be launching the third episode of our podcast series! For this episode, we had the chance to interview our first celebrity: CJ Wildheart. Not everyone may have heard of him, but his band The Wildhearts had several top 20 singles and one top 10 album in the UK.

In the interview, CJ speaks candidly about how live and loud playing for many years caused his tinnitus, how this has affected his musical career, and the care he now takes to protect his ears.

We were lucky to have @Ed209 arrange and conduct the interview with CJ. Ed is himself a professional music teacher, and in the second half of this episode, our podcast host Sean, aka @Jack Straw, spoke with him about his personal experiences, musicians and tinnitus, and questions around noise protection.

It’s the most “personal” episode we’ve done so far, featuring many personal stories and anecdotes. Serious questions are being raised about how musicians deal with the fact that they are especially prone to getting tinnitus, but also about the need to protect your ears while attending concerts.

become-a-tinnitus-talk-patron.png

Listen on:

We welcome any discussion, but please keep the following in mind when commenting:
      • Off-topic comments, i.e. not directly responding to the content of the podcast, will be removed. So please do listen before commenting!
      • While we welcome constructive criticism on ideas or policies, we do not tolerate direct attacks on individuals.

Tinnitus Talk would like to thank CJ Wildheart for taking the time to speak to us so openly about his tinnitus. And a big thank you is due to our respected member @Ed209 for arranging and conducting the interview!

This episode was produced, as usual, by @Markku, @Jack Straw and @Hazel. This time, we were joined by @PDodge who helped out with editing – thanks for that! Do you want to join our team as well? Let us know!

Don't forget to:
      Sharing Is Caring
      Share the podcast on your social media and with your tinnitus friends!

• Winner Winner x 11
      • Like Like x 7
    2. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      Because we want the podcast to be a long-term endeavour, we set up this Patreon page for listeners who would like to directly support the podcast with financial donations.

Patreon is a crowdfunding membership platform where creators can run a subscription content service, build relationships and provide exclusive experiences to their subscribers, or "patrons".

For a breakdown of costs involved in producing this podcast, see here.

Let us know what you think! We can play around with the different levels of support and Patreon benefits based on your feedback.

• Informative Informative x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Excellent work @Ed209! I really enjoyed this episode. I found interesting that tinnitus subsided quite a lot for CJ at his age even after all those years of him being a professional musician. He protects his ears only while doing his job so no sign of phonophobia/hyperacusis. Interesting.

• Like Like x 6
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      That's why I'm here. Sorta wish I never touched a guitar.

• Hug Hug x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Wow. I am still sorta processing the interview. Thank you @Ed209 and @Jack Straw. Excellent work and so much time put into this podcast. It is appreciated.:huganimation:

What stood out in my thoughts? When Ed likened this to the recent movie A Star Is Born. How the artist self medicated with drugs and alcohol and such because being in solitude hurt too much. The constant torture of brain noise can be just too much for the person.

Secondly that the recording methods are much different today?

I did a quick search and listened to a few songs by The Wildhearts. Not my kinda music (too much metal)but this one song was a bit easier to listen to. Same band?

The Wildhearts - Geordie In Wonderland

• Like Like x 4
    6. Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Loving the content guys. It was a very well put together and informative especially since you don't get to hear from professional musicians all that often about their hearing.

• Like Like x 3
    7. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      @Starthrower, thanks for listening! They aren’t really metal, but they do have some heavy songs and maybe YouTube prioritises those? As a band they were hugely influential on loads of people and bands - especially some really big ones - and without a doubt, they would have been a huge band themselves if they weren’t so notoriously self-destructive.

CJ and The Wildhearts have toured and played with acts like, the Manic Street Preachers, Alice in Chains, Steve Vai, Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators (Slash’s band), Guns n Roses, Devin Townsend, Weezer, AC/DC, Diamond Head, Wolfsbane, Alanis Morrisette, Skunk Anansie, etc, etc.

Ginger, the main songwriter, is a huge fan of country music like yourself. He suffers from depression and has written so many songs about it that I’ve lost count. He and the band have also done loads for charity and have helped, in particular, mental health charities and homeless organisations, etc.

Try these songs (there’s entire Albums like this):

Ginger (The Wildhearts) "The Man Who...

The Wildhearts - 29 X The Pain '96

Chutzpah: You Took the Sunshine from New York

The Wildhearts - In Lilly's Garden...

I’ve always loved this song when it’s played live as well. The lyrics are brilliant (includes Devin Townsend):

The Wildhearts - Nothing Ever Changes.....

• Like Like x 7
    8. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      Very useful... thanks Tinnitus Talk and @Ed209.

The family connection caught my attention as I know it runs in the family.
      When I was first aware of it a few years ago I found out my mother has had it for years but never really talks about it.

It's a strange old thing and wildly variable and intensely personal.

I recently decided to go to live gigs again as music is a huge part of my life. I have noticed that gigs are now playing at a much lower volume, although I do use foam plugs to take the edge off. A recent 'Idles' gig was a worry for me but it was pretty quiet to be honest compared to say Slash Ten years ago.

The idea of controlling your own gig level whilst still enjoying that live music atmosphere was interesting. I'm sure it will end up like this as the liability of the venue and maybe band will be tested sometime soon.

Anyway thanks to you all.

I hope all you hissers and ringers are finding at least some golden moments of peace. Donation made to Tinnitus Talk.

X

• Winner Winner x 7
    9. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I agree regarding genetics, obviously. I think some people are more predisposed to acquiring tinnitus and even the first ENT I saw believed this as well.

Interesting to hear that you’re attending gigs again, Kelvin. I wish you all the best buddy.

• Like Like x 4
    10. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Agree @Ed209 - 12 studies on this - ResearchGate.

One reference:
      (Bogo et al., 2016)
      estimated the proportion of additive genetic factors in tinnitus at 40%, which is substantially higher than the 11% previously estimated by Kvestad (Kvestad et al., 2010).

• Informative Informative x 5
    11. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      Thank you everyone.

@Ed209, you nailed it! Well done. Paul Gray next?

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. Mike T

Mike T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dont Know Just Appeared
      I see The Wildhearts are out and about touring again. I really liked Danny McCormack's stuff he did with the YoYo's.

THE YO YO'S live at THE CAVERN

• Like Like x 3
    13. Mike T

Mike T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dont Know Just Appeared
      Paul Gray - from The Damned and Eddie and the Hot Rods?

• Like Like x 1
    14. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Yea, that’s the one.

15. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      If you’re on Facebook, head over to CJ Wildheart’s page and like his post about the podcast. Also, join the discussion and show others how you feel about your tinnitus.

It’s getting the right kind of attention at the moment.

cj-wildheart-facebook-comments-1.png
      cj-wildheart-facebook-comments-2.png

• Winner Winner x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    16. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Too much metal? Does such a thing exist?

• Funny Funny x 1
    17. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Thanks @Ed209. I did like most of your choices from CJ's The Wildhearts band. Yeah, I just did a quickie YouTube thing yesterday and only the heavy metal type of songs came up. But I enjoyed the one I posted and your selections here.

Glad they will be dropping new music or touring. If it wasn't for your podcast I would not know who they were over here in California!!

This is so good to know about them.

I am going to listen to the interview again today. I think CJ mentioned something about tinniators (sp and what is this) and it helped him. I would think it means some type of ear plug?

Yeah I know @JohnAdams. I often ask people why they like a particular type of music genre. The more heavy type metal music is too much for my tinnitus. But I was told it was the energy of the genre that they liked. I dunno...

I would love to hear his words in songs. The country genre is so wide open now. The stories in lyrics and a simple acoustic sound makes my type of music. I hope his depression eases for him. Passion is music or through music helps.

Thanks again for the time and energy you and @Jack Straw put into this podcast. I do believe this is going to become a very big deal thing for Tinnitus Hub/Talk.

• Winner Winner x 4
    18. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    19. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      @Starthrower

This is the song I mentioned in the interview. Ginger (The Wildhearts frontman) gave away all the proceeds to the Samaritans. He often does this, that is to give away a percentage of profits from albums/songs to charity.

F78012FA-D6E4-48EB-8C73-EB83F3CD3D6B.jpeg

Ginger Wildheart & Ryan Hamilton - Fuck...

• Winner Winner x 3
    20. Mike T

Mike T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dont Know Just Appeared
      I just watched the podcast. I just realised who you are after watching. I just live over the border in Littleborough. Thanks for taking the time to inform people. I'm getting back to cutting my telecaster copy into bits now after a pal showed me this. Got to keep busy.

guitar.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    21. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      He was talking about custom moulded plugs with attenuators in (filters that knock the sound down basically).

• Informative Informative x 3
    22. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      @Kelvin thank you that is a very generous thing to do for the community. :huganimation:

This is something I appreciate so much from those who just give to help others. And now CJ is continuing by giving you his time for the podcast.

I listened again to your podcast and found more information. @Ed209 you have a great voice and accent...and hearing your story was beneficial to this podcast since you are also a music artist. The process of recording music in studio today verses back in the 1980s was interesting also.

Plus the title Fuck You Brain :p seems like a good tag line for somehow finding a way to deal with intrusive tinnitus. And I liked the song. Love when I am exposed to different music.

Maybe they can post a song here from the new album released on May 3rd?

• Like Like x 2
    23. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      It is a good title :LOL:

Ginger writes some brilliant lyrics, and they do quite a fair few acoustic shows as well. I’ve been to two myself and the atmosphere at their gigs is unbelievable. Some of the best gigs I’ve ever been to have been Wildheart shows.

This is “29 x the pain” at an acoustic show. CJ is on the left and Ginger is on the the right.

PS, Listen at 2:40. I always loved that line: “how can I get down, when I’ve got all my friends around.” Also, if you listen at the end, everybody always sings “don't worry about me” at the end of their shows. It was a hidden track on one of their albums. The atmosphere used to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Wildhearts acoustic : 29 X The Pain @ Live...

• Like Like x 1
    24. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Very interesting interview!
      Thank you Ed for conducting it so smoothly. And thanks to all the team for your work.

It was really great to hear him about Lemmy :)

I'll listen to it again because there are a few sentences I did not get (my oral understanding of English is not great :/ - oh, and I really like your accent Ed by the way).

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    25. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Your written English is so good that I often forget you’re French.

As for Lemmy, it was your question so I’m not surprised :D.

@Markku spent considerable time editing this so a lot of props go to him, and obviously the same applies to @PDodge for his help with the editing and also to @Hazel for just being Hazel.

@Jack Straw has a proper radio voice so he adds a dollop of professionalism into the mix.

• Like Like x 6
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    26. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Ed209, & @Jack Straw,

Very good slick interviews. We’ll done chaps.
      Enjoyed all the musos chit chat.
      The basic differences between my own experiences and these guys is the genre.
      I’m obviously a ‘dyed in the wool jazzer; essentially Armstrong to Ellington, Basie to Chet Baker: traditional / mainstream / modern styles.

We play what we think of as ‘legit’ instruments:
      trumpets/trombones/saxes/clarinets/ pianos/acoustic guitars/double basses, etc... acoustic horns - as opposed to electric guitars, basses, keyboards, echo chambers, synthesisers, etc...
      Normally the acoustic range would be nothing like that of your typical rock or metal bands of course - but we share the same type of damage and consequent distress.

An interesting peep into a world with some similarities, but also many differences.
      Apart from tinnitus, another curse of the rock scene is clearly drugs - whereas in the jazz world it is largely booze - apart from the beboppers who indulged in everything, and mostly came to a sticky end.

Good stuff guys.

• Like Like x 4
    27. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Where’s your accent from @Ed209?
      One minute I thought Midlands, and the next minute West Country.
      I’m probably wide of the mark both ways.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    28. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      The Wildhearts’ new album is now out and when I heard this song I thought it could have been written for this forum when I heard it. There are certainly parallels.

It’s about the difficulties of getting a diagnosis for hidden problems. In particular, problems that affect our mental health.

It’s an out and out rock song with a punky swagger so it’s not going to be everyone’s cup of tea, but I’m absolutely certain the message will be.

It’s called “Diagnosis” and you can check it out here! Listen to the words:

• Like Like x 2
    29. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      :LOL:

The West Country part made me laugh, Dave. I’m far from driving a combine harvester. I have a Black Country accent and I’m from the West Midlands.

• Funny Funny x 1
    30. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Well at least I got the ‘Brum’ bit right Ed.
      (Perhaps you had a West Country girlfriend one time - that you’re keeping from us ??)

• Like Like x 2