Episode 3: Tinnitus, The Musician's Curse? — CJ Wildheart

Discussion in 'Podcast' started by Tinnitus Talk, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      :eek: It’s offensive to use the word Brum to a guy from the Black Country :LOL:

You were close though, and I thought my accent would be a dead giveaway to my location to all the UK listeners. The diversity of accents in this country is insane though; there are so many variations.

When I was in Hawaii on our trip to Maui we stayed in this really cool small boutique hotel. At the time it just so happened that most of the guests were British, and we were all talking with the American owners about life and stuff over breakfast. What we all found interesting is that we could all tell what part of the UK we were from, and to our ears, the difference in our accents was really distinct and obvious, but when we asked the Americans if they could hear a difference, they all said no. They thought we all just sounded British. I found that kind of interesting.

PS, I find it funny that Darth Vader’s accent is actually a West Country one. Imagine that.

• Like Like x 3
    2. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      Most musicians or "sufferers" have it mild or moderate. I assume our severe tinnitus level is pretty rare.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    3. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      This forum has many musicians who report having severe tinnitus. It’s definitely a high-risk profession when it comes to NIHL and tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      To continue our discussion on genetics and tinnitus.

For anyone to be exposed to extremely high noise there is instant hearing loss and tinnitus from cell damage. Tinnitus almost always occurs from injury - 9 of 12 cranial nerves. How hearing loss hair cell happens by this is thru cell structure. The question - is genetic cell structure responsible for most other tinnitus as secondary with the endless amount of things that can cause tinnitus.

Some researchers believe that a higher percentage of tinnitus may develop when hereditary and outside influences combine, as secondary to a genetic disorder. Certain genetic mutations have been linked with tinnitus and hearing loss, such as those associated with neurofibromatosis type II (NFII) and von Hippel-Lindau (YHL) disease, but event and processing lists are long. The studies about genetic and DNA development with fusion cells or other cell processing may some day conclude why some of us get tinnitus.

• Informative Informative x 4
    5. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Our understanding of the human genome is still in its infancy. We have a significant amount to learn.

• Agree Agree x 4
    6. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      Hi all, the transcript was just added! You can find it, as always, under the CC button on the episode page.

With a big thank you once again to @Liz Windsor!

• Winner Winner x 3
    7. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      That must have taken a lot of time @Liz Windsor! Thank you.

Interesting reading the transcript @Hazel. I heard more than when I just listened. Funny though when I read it I heard the sound of your accents!!

• Like Like x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
    8. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      So very true. Lots of things can cause tinnitus, where genetics is important, but even more so after initial tinnitus has developed.

Two area of disorders that may develop years after receiving tinnitus is digestive and immune. Increased saliva, GERD, acid reflex, constipation and thyroid problems can interact together or cause the other. Autoimmune diseases and fluid travel of facial to ears is another concern after development of tinnitus. Anything taken into mouth. Almost all parts of the body or human genome can be thrown into play after receiving tinnitus. Any of the systems of the body after development of tinnitus may come into play and often genes are a helping hand.
      http://tmfpff.blogspot.com/2011/06/system-when-number-of-organs-work.html

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      The Wildhearts posted the interview on their main page as well so that’s a lot of good exposure.

This comment in particular stood out:

B6F916DA-08B7-4568-A172-1A28484740CB.jpeg

Here’s some other comments as well:

50B4595D-9B83-440F-8CF2-4D2B13A8409E.jpeg
      4D39D44C-2C46-4271-A8BE-ECC571571C71.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    10. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      The press coverage surrounding The Wildhearts right now is spectacular. They are in every music magazine and newspaper out there, and CJ just posted this:

A8259F0D-96E8-4A24-814A-68BAC1AEC8F5.jpeg

That’s a lot of eyes on their page who will have been exposed to our cause.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    11. Violetdusk

Violetdusk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2005 Very loud rock concert. 2018 Worsened considerably.
      Good interview. One thing that maybe needs to be mentioned is hyperacusis...

I had tinnitus for years from a way too loud Misfits concert in 2005 but it was mild compared to what it is now. It got far far worse a year ago when I played guitar with a friend (I wore custom moulded 25 dB NRR earplugs) and we jammed almost for 2 hours playing various types of metal and rock.

Then we put the guitars away for a chat (I removed the plugs) but my friend came in suddenly with a Bluetooth speaker playing music on it... I couldn't protect myself as my mate was talking to me (I should have though), and after playing guitar though the amps with earplugs in I couldn't really gauge how loud the music was on the Bluetooth speaker either, but it was probably loud enough to damage me, especially after the guitar session.

I ended up with 24/7 screaming loud tinnitus and hyperacusis - which is a collapsed tolerance to even normal sounds. Now everywhere is too loud for me except a forest where nature sounds etc, distract me. I have to wear earplugs if I drive anywhere as the car engine hurts my ears (the tinnitus is a nightmare then so I have to turn up the CD player oddly), and even shopping or walking alongside a road is also so bad I have to wear earplugs. No fun.

Wish I'd never gone round to said friends for a jam, I definitely have a big guilt trip about it. I actually stopped in my tracks on the way and asked myself if it was a good idea, and my brain said yes, because of earplugs.

I've sold the amp, and now only play my electric unplugged to keep my ability up or to take my mind off the tinnitus by playing scales etc, and if I do that for too long then even that causes a tinnitus spike. It's no fun. I can't be sure if it was the jam that did it, or the Bluetooth speaker when my ears were unprotected or both.

I'm 48, my first concert was Metallica aged 15... my ears have had a battering really all through my life. Clubs, Gigs, Bars, Music at home and Walkman generation/iPods etc. I guess something had to give, but I never knew it would reach this stage.

Wish I had known the risk... but like so many others, didn't know about tinnitus until I got it.

Hats off to known musicians talking about it... at least it raises awareness. I've tried telling numerous friends to plug up at gigs... some of them don't take my advice annoyingly.

12. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I did mention hyperacusis.

I agree. I talked about the guilt aspect in my interview and it definitely adds to the burden in my opinion.

I’m in the same boat as you. My ears have taken a battering over the years, so we’re in a similar position. I agree about it raising awareness as there’s been a ton of press activity around the band.

It’s just a shame that nobody from Tinnitus Talk left any comments. We had a great opportunity to tell our stories but nobody helped out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    13. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Where can we leave comments to help out?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    14. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      It would have been pretty great if more people had sent their comments in this Facebook post by The Wildhearts and possibly shared and liked it too. (y)

• Agree Agree x 2
    15. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I’ve got to say a huge congratulations to The Wildhearts. They’ve been out of the game for 10 years, come back with a new album, and with no major marketing - like everyone else has - they debut their album in the UK at number 11 (they were 5th midweek). It’s an extraordinary achievement and shows that word of mouth and a true fan base is all you need.

DC6C829A-D65B-41F6-8976-79580C79E666.jpeg

The press is all over them right now and they are very much in the spotlight. Every day I’m seeing a new magazine article or newspaper article, and so I’m disappointed that another opportunity seems to have passed us by. If more comments were made on our podcast post, someone may have given it more exposure or even written a piece on it. Do not underestimate the power of social media and the many influential people who have no doubt been viewing their page this week.

The call to help out fell flat once more and I’m not entirely sure why?

Here’s a link to their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/TheWildhearts/

16. Autumnly
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Personally, I deactivated my Facebook profile years ago but I hope others will leave comments. Perhaps we should encourage them to do so in other threads as well?

17. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      I don't have a Facebook either sadly...

@OnceUponaTime Do you have a Facebook? Is there any way you can rally people together who do have Facebooks to leave comments on their post/Facebook.

This is a big opportunity.

18. Duncan L
      Benevolent

Duncan L Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Brain Stem injury due to over-ambitious yoga stretch
      Andy Partridge from XTC (a brilliant UK New Wave band) is another guy with severe tinnitus. He attributes it to a sound engineer running a high level tone accidentally into his cans. Of note is that Andy was prescribed in his childhood large amounts of a (then) new anti-anxiety medication known then as Valium (Diazepam).

He has been through the mill with his tinnitus and even tried hyperbaric treatment at one stage.

19. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I do, but my personal Facebook account is well... kinda private where I have my kids pictures and a lot of my personal stuff. Maybe if I make a new account I can do something.

Why don't you make an account!?

20. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Great interview! I liked the chat at the end too!

• Like Like x 2
    21. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      @Ed209 let me know when CJ's new music is out!

Where are you?

22. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      I love these podcasts, have to listen in parts but enjoy and appreciate all the effort that goes into these. Thanks to everybody involved.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    23. Autumnly
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      • Informative Informative x 2
    24. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I thought it was worth updating this thread since the Wildhearts have a new album out today. The respect CJ and the band command amongst other high-calibre musicians is clear to see.

Here's Devin Townsend's take on them having been in the band:

DEVIN TOWNSEND on THE WILDHEARTS - 21st...

Mikko, from the Von Hertzen Brothers (excellent band btw):

MIKKO VON HERTZEN on THE WILDHEARTS - 21st...

Dregen, the guitarist from the Backyard Babies and Michael Monroe’s band (he replaced Ginger):

DREGEN on THE WILDHEARTS - 21st Century Love Songs

25. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      For anyone who's interested, their latest album is 4th in the midweek charts. Here's a message from CJ:

THE WILDHEARTS - 21st Century Love Songs...

26. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      68961CC7-2536-444A-8D7C-E88EE3AF2A4F.jpeg

Well done to the Wildhearts. Kicking the door down on record sales to get 9th in the overall charts and 2nd to Iron Maiden in the rock charts!

27. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
    28. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      This is a great interview for anyone interested in knowing more about CJ and/or the Wildhearts.

It gives great insights and is thoroughly entertaining.

CJ Wildheart Discusses Ups & Downs of The...

• Like Like x 1