Episode 5: Hearing In, Tinnitus Out — Prof. Marcelo Rivolta

Discussion in 'Podcast' started by Tinnitus Talk, Jun 28, 2019.

1. tinnitus-talk-podcast-episode-5-marcelo-rivolta.png

Hi everybody!

We are very excited to publish the fifth episode of our podcast series! We listened to your feedback and decided to dedicate an episode to hearing regeneration, based on popular demand ;)

Tinnitus Talk spoke with Marcelo Rivolta, professor of Sensory Stem Cell Biology at the University of Sheffield.

What are stem cells and how can stem cells treat hearing loss? What’s going on with human trials for hearing regeneration? When can we expected new treatments on the market? And will regenerating hearing resolve tinnitus? These kinds of questions will be answered in this podcast!

Marcelo also announces that he received a research grant and used it to start a biotechnology company called Rinri. If you want to stay up to date with the progress of Rinri, please visit https://rinri-therapeutics.com

The interview with Marcelo was conducted by Steve Harrison (Tinnitus Talk) and David Stockdale (British Tinnitus Association). As added bonus material at the end, Hazel and Markku discuss the Tinnitus Talk Podcast ‘behind the scenes.’

become-a-tinnitus-talk-patron.png

Listen on:

We welcome any discussion, but please keep the following in mind when commenting:
      • Off-topic comments, i.e. not directly responding to the content of the podcast, will be removed. So please do listen before commenting!
      • While we welcome constructive criticism on ideas or policies, we do not tolerate direct attacks on individuals.

Tinnitus Talk would like to thank Marcelo Rivolta for taking the time to speak to us, and @David and @Steve for co-hosting.

This episode was produced, as usual, by @Markku, @Jack Straw and @Hazel. Do you want to join our team as well? Let us know!

Don't forget to:
      Sharing Is Caring
      Share the podcast on your social media and with your tinnitus friends!

• Winner Winner x 22
      • Like Like x 5
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Fantastic editing @Markku!

Such a great episode.

• Agree Agree x 11
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. wales

wales Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I feel bad for the gerbils :cry: but I understand it's done in the name of ethical science!

What a GREAT EPISODE! I looooove these science episodes. It's encouraging to me that tinnitus could get quieter when hearing is restored. I experience both "normal" tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus. I don't expect stem cells to help my pulsatile tinnitus but if they could help my "normal" tinnitus I would be full of joy.

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y) @Jack Straw! ( :love: )
      (y)(y)(y)(y)(y) Marcelo Rivolta! (Astonishingly genuine researcher, more of him please!!)
      (y)(y)(y)(y)(y) @David (My impression of the BTA improved!!)
      (y)(y)(y)(y)(y) @Steve! (What a gentleman like the British are!!)
      (y)(y)(y)(y)(y) @Hazel! (Want to hear more about your TRI experiences!!)
      (y)(y)(y)(y)(y) @Markku! (Your English is more than fine, don't worry about it, want to hear more of you too!!)

Your team blows it out of the water. American Tinnitus Association's podcast is mediocre compared to this!!

:popcorndrink:

• Agree Agree x 10
      • Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 3
    4. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      There is no data about PRP, not real data. Also, it's not just PRP, it's also bone marrow, but yes, there are still no direct studies about this. Agreed 100% that more research needs to be done. I would however like to see the test tube studies he was talking about. I am aware of zero studies regarding PRP and hearing of any type despite his mention of some sort of in vitro study.

8-10 years before something comes to market? So... What if FX-322 turns out to be very effective and they seek the accelerated trial schedule like they claimed they would? They are planning to begin phase 2 this year. So if they are in fact granted fast-track/breakthrough status, and are already in phase 2, how would that be 8-10 years? Even at their current rate, they would be on track to complete phase 3 in 4 years. 8-10 is not optimistic, it is pessimistic.

Amen about the CBT and mindfulness.

One thing you should have asked him about is what he thinks about the Koss headphones.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
      • Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Informative Informative x 2
    5. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      Learned a lot. Thank you!

Lenire will keep me going until these fancy hearing restoration treatments become available. :thankyousign:

• Like Like x 7
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    6. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Mathieulh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic headphones use and acute noise induced trauma.
      Do PRP and FX-322 do anything to heal neuropathy or is it only about regeneration of the stereocilia?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    7. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      Thank you everyone!

• Like Like x 5
    8. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      Wow, what a super nice message, thanks!!! That does make all the hard work worthwhile :)

• Like Like x 6
      • Winner Winner x 2
    9. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Great question. PRP is implicated in healing damaged nerves and I would think that it could affect cochlear nerves when injected into the ear drum because experiments with BDNF, when it it administered in the same manner, also had a healing affect on the cochlear nerves. More experiments are certainly needed.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    10. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      I am interested to hear/read about research. Excellent questions asked. So as far as I am concirned this episode is difficult to top.

Listening to Professor Marcello Rivolta just convinces me even more I need hair cell regeneration and repairing of nerves.

Thanks a lot for this podcast. Looking forward to the Hearing Health Foundation podcast.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Professor Marcelo Rivolta is talking about stem cell therapies for hearing loss and you are talking about Frequency Therapeutics drug molecules to regenerate hearing; the aim is to restore hearing but their approaches are different. He does talk briefly about Frequency Therapeutics but he is not involved in progenitor cell activation (Frequency Therapeutics) - he is talking about the research he does with stem cell therapies.

Frequency Therapeutics may not be successful yet - so the more approaches the better.

I would like to see what other researchers have to say such as those from Frequency Therapeutics approach, those involved in gene therapies and perhaps the guys from Otonomy with their approaches.

I believe Thanos Tzounopoulos is in one of the next podcast episodes and it would be him I would be most hyped about talking to if tinnitus was your main problem and not hearing loss.

• Like Like x 2
    12. Phendran
      Benevolent

Phendran Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yeah, that's way too late. 3:

Suppose our main hope lies with Frequency Therapeutics then.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      Realistically, Frequency Therapeutics is at least 7 years away from commercialization. Mark my words. And there's a 80% chance their clinical trials will fail before or during phase 3.

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. Phendran
      Benevolent

Phendran Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Bleh. 3;
      Still better than nothing, but a lot can happen in 7 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Nice to hear @Steve's voice.

I will add everything Tinnitus Hub creates is so professional and informative for the tinnitus population rather than the "peers" within tinnitus organizations who seem to be more threatened rather than thankful for such efforts by @Hazel, @Markku, @Jack Straw and the others who are involved.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    16. Marcus Skye
      Surfing

Marcus Skye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meloxicam, Noise Exposure,
      Great interview, @Markku, @Hazel! Keep it up. This is fantastic, important work. I look forward to the day one of your guests discovers the cure.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    17. David

David Member Benefactor BTA

Thanks @wales, good example of working together to achieve more than the sum of our parts!

• Like Like x 2
    18. KJS

KJS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Had been under stress, anxiety, zoloft, slight hearing loss
      How do they determine if it is hair cell loss or nerve damage?

19. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So... Has anyone found the studies Rivolta mentioned about PRP and hearing loss?

20. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not if our hair cells are intact and the damage is from neuropathy.

21. Phendran
      Benevolent

Phendran Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Oh yeah, I forgot about that. 3:

22. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus: