Eustachian Tube Dysfunction — When My Ears Are More Open and Painless, My Ringing Is MUCH Worse

Discussion in 'Support' started by CrystalB, Nov 17, 2018.

1. CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My ENT diagnosed me with Eustachian Tube Dysfunction.

My ears will feel full and hurt most of the time.

What is weird is that when my ears feel more open and not hurt my ringing is SO much louder and unbearable than when my ears feel so full. I’m so confused?

I got to the point where I thought I was helping myself by using nose spray to open up my ears and Eustachian Tube exercises where I pop my ears by holding my nose or chewing gum.

But now I’m at the point where I would rather my ears feel extremely full and painful than to have to deal with louder tinnitus.

Has anyone ever heard of that? Has anyone ever experienced something like that?

2. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Yes. I've been having eustachian problems recently. Had a spike from a car horn and that same night my ear clogged. (It clogged because I rubbed my ear, not from the sound) It was clogged for a while. Maybe a week. When it temporarily unclogged it was louder! I was actually relieved when it clogged back up. Yesterday it unclogged to quiet T, thank god and it has remained there.

But my T is reactive and since my H increased, unstable. It does weird things.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I would figure my ears feeling full and painful would make my tinnitus louder but it’s the opposite, Very weird! Is your tinnitus from Eustachian tube or is it noise induced?

4. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      To me this seems like some sort of synaptic dysfunction or damage that is on the line between damage and health. Anyone else agree or disagree?

5. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Noise induced. My worsened H could be from it though? Unsure. I'm not having pain. Just the clog makes it harder to hear in the left. It came back after I posted because I rubbed my ear. I had my ears cleaned just two months ago so don't think it's ear wax but also can't say officially.

Anyway, maybe it's not actually louder unclogged? Could be that the tone becomes more unappealing.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      Lot of times ENT's and Doctors will give a diagnosis and not really know what it really is??
      Years ago one ENT send me to a neurologist. The Neurologist sent me to another ENT. In the
      end none of them could help much. I had used flonase did not seem to make much of a difference
      Is the nasal spray helping?? Did he give any steroids?? Any difference in the T??

• Agree Agree x 3
    7. Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      Maybe your tinnitus is just really reactive?

8. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      What was that diagnosis based on exactly? What does your tympanogram look like for example?

It's very difficult to make any sense of these symptoms. I'm told that only medical doctors are able to make sense of this all... which... I highly doubt. If you want to come closer to the truth of nature you have to base your work on hard, evidence based science, not on hearsay or "experience" (experienced physician, i.e. one that has seen many such cases).

Reactive tinnitus does come to mind... assuming that there is such a thing. I can see why you feel confused; it's counter-intuitive. Intuition is not always right...

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I stopped the nasal spray after maybe 3 months using, and in the second month after my tinnitus started my ENT gave me prednisone. It didn’t change much. I know about a couple of weeks into the nasal spray when I would spray a certain way and pop my ears as I was using the spray. There have been maybe two to three times after I used the spray when my tinnitus was almost completely gone for a little while.

I kept doing that but it didn’t work every time and I just gave up.