Eustachian Tube Dysfunction Treatment

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sand6, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Sand6

Sand6 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      My tinnitus started 9 days ago with an ear infection that I was given antibiotics for. I went to the doctor today for continued discomfort. The infection is gone but I have Eustachian Tube Dysfunction.

He has me taking Claritin once daily and said to keep popping my ears. He said it should take 6 weeks to recover and the ringing may or may not be permanent. Feeling cautiously hopeful.

I'm due back to the doctor in 2 weeks. Anything else I should be doing. I want to maximize treatment now so hopefully the tinnitus won't be permanent.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Steam inhalation can help unblock your tubes also Sudafed and nose sprays.
      Stay positive as time is a great healer.
      Keep relaxing music on around you to help take your mind off your sound,
      Love glynis

3. dorje
      Transparent

dorje Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, might be ENT
      There you go
      https://www.wikihow.com/Unclog-the-Inner-Ear-or-Eustachian-Tube

If you are going to use nasal balon, here is great video how to do that
      How to use the Otovent

My GP prescribed my Avamys, nasal spray, saying that my ear drum in my left ear is sucked in, there is negative pressure, my Eustachian Tube is probably blocked and that's the most likely cause of my tinnitus. If you are also going to use nasal spray here is the useful link
      https://fauquierent.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/study-suggests-incorrectly-steroid.html

Ps. After two months I'm getting better, T is still here but quieter, hopefully in another few weeks it will disappear completely.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      Be careful popping your ears. Do it as gently as you can while getting a full "pop". If you do it too forcefully, you can make things worse.

I was prescribed Flonase for ETD and a number of people here are also using it or a similar nasal spray. You have to "aim" it correctly to get the spray into your Eustachian tube. I'm pretty sure you can get it over-the-counter. Something to look into or think about.

I also had success with Sudafed (note: the real thing, not "Sudafed PE") which cleared up my Eustachian tube when it seemed to be clogged full of gunk.

5. dorje
      Transparent

dorje Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, might be ENT
      @Aaron44126
      Did your T go away after clearing Eustachian tube?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sand6

Sand6 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thanks. It's crazy (and annoying), I can pop them just by swallowing or yawning so it can happen multiple times a minute.

I asked about Flonase and he said I don't need it since I didn't have signs of redness or congestion. But I might give it a try...it couldn't really hurt.

I've been taking sudafed pretty regularly for a week and think I will add it to the regimen Claritin.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sand6

Sand6 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I think so. It at least really helps it. It seems to be getting softer.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sand6

Sand6 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thank you! He did mention steam inhalation so I'll be purchasing one today. Have you tried it with essential oils? If so which ones?

9. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Just hot water

Love glynis x

10. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Has anyone ever had a problem where their tubes just won't clear, no matter what? I was sick last weekend and I've been stuck like this and it's AWFUL. I've tried
      Pseudoephedrine
      Steam
      Afrin
      Fluids
      Flonase (just started)

Absolutely cannot make my ears pop. I live at 1500' and it's slightly less bad there but when I drive down 1000' to town it's awful. Drs not helpful so far

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Rick Garner
      Fine

Rick Garner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/ 2016 (T free since mid March 2017) 
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD (most probably)
    12. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      No, but it got a lot softer and easier to handle. (It seems to be improving... Slowly... With occasional setbacks due to weather and illness.)

13. dorje
      Transparent

dorje Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, might be ENT
      Thank you Rick for your time and support, really appreciated!
      Here is the video from your post, which I think it's definitely worth to post here as well, super useful.

How to Cure Tinnitus Linked to Eustachian Tube...

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sand6

Sand6 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thank you. I had read your post before going to the appointment where I was diagnosed with ETD. It was very helpful and gave me hope. The T is going strong today so your post was a good reread.

15. dorje
      Transparent

dorje Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, might be ENT
      Don't worry. It was the same for me at the beginning. Spikes so big that I cried few times. And what made it worse was my worrying, apparently that's how the brain works, something like mosquito bite - you scratch it, it becomes more annoying. Over time it should stabilise and drop the level of noise. It's the second month for me and only few days ago I noticed that the noise was reduced. Also try to find something that eases the symptoms, might be magnesium or ginko biloba. And don't worry, if it's only "mechanical" matter with your ET, you can fix it, just like Rick did.