Every Noise Makes Me Anxious, Wearing Earplugs Gives the Occlusion Effect

Discussion in 'Support' started by ronthejon, Mar 1, 2021.

1. ronthejon
      Frustrated

ronthejon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      Hello everyone...

I've been lurking these forums for the last year and a half ever since my tinnitus started. I must say, during this time I find that it got better/I've gotten somewhat more used to it.

A little background on how I think it started... I went to a Karaoke bar with EXTREMELY loud speakers that were malfunctioning and were making abrupt sounds all night. Later on that night, I went to go buy earplugs nearby and then came back to the bar to join my friends.

I believe that the damage was already done. I've spent Years of blasting music in my earbuds to drown out my daily commute on the train... Bad idea. I believe that this Karaoke night was the straw that broke the camel's back. Not to mention that I was screaming with the earplugs in which probably made matters worse.

I sleep at night with nature sounds which helps immensely. During the day, I try to stay busy to keep my mind off my problems.

However, I've been staying home a lot. I need to get out and live my life, but I'm scared to.

Every noise makes me extremely on edge. Wearing earplugs gives me the occlusion effect.

I'm not sure what I can do anymore to live a normal life... Any suggestions? What helps you get through the day?

2. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Would earmuffs be an option?

Have you tried getting custom musician's earplugs made? They have less occlusion effect in my experience.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ronthejon
      Frustrated

ronthejon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      Thank you ajc, I'll look into that... I appreciate the response.