Everytime I Touch Right Ear I Experience Strange Sensation

Discussion in 'Support' started by pytajnick, Oct 15, 2017.

1. pytajnick

pytajnick Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      A few days ago accidentally I've noticed a strange thing.

Every time I stick my finger into right ear canal and pull it suddenly I experience strange sensation: something out there (eardrum?) is moving for a fraction of second and there's a sound like wind hitting a foresail or bedsheet (sorry, I don't know how to describe it more accurately).

During last three weeks I've had in this ear two episodes of similar sensation but without actually touching the ear (I was listening to music but not loud) and it lasted like 15 seconds or so - is this some form of myoclonus? Or my ear canal is somehow affected by use of the earplugs?

Did anyone experience similar symptoms?

I wouldn't be too worried about that but for the last month or two both my Tinnitus and Hyperacusis are gradually getting worse...

Thank You for any help!

2. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello @pytajnick, you may want to consult a physician. That sounds strange, and having the problem in only one ear is stranger. Talk to your doctor, hopefully s/he will be able to figure out what the problem is and how to fix it.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pytajnick

pytajnick Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That's the problem... I was evaluated by several ENT's. A week ago I've had a follow-up visit and although I said about new symptoms (new sounds, increased sensitivity, fleeting tinnitus several times a day), I was told that these are normal manifestations of T and there's nothing to be done except hearing therapy. Now I have this new symptom, my new level of T erased most of the progress toward habituation I've made during the last 7 months. Everytime something new happens to my ears I am visiting someone and although so far no test indicated anything measurably abnormal (I had several audiograms - mild hearing loss, Tympanometry - ok, MRI - ok, Thyroid - ok, several blood tests - ok) my condition is getting worse. I've had to quit my job and now I am sitting all day long in my room avoiding any exposure and when I try to leave home I am ending up with a temporary or permanent aggravation of symptoms. I don't know what else I should test or what procedure, supplements, remedy should I try to be honest :/ Next months hearing therapist will fit me white noise generators. Several months ago I would be excited, but now? With my T becoming more and more reactive I can't stand white noise, sound enrichment which helped at the beginning or at night (cicadas sounds) now gives me spikes!

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Seeing the Hearing Therapist is a good thing @pytajnick and having the white noise generators. If you are going to have counselling with it that's even better so please ask for that. I suggest you introduce the white noise generators slowly. Set the volume below your tinnitus. Start wearing them for 1 or 2hrs. Then take them off the same amount of time. Slowly build up the wearing time over a few weeks until you're able to wearing them 8hrs or more or whatever your Hearing Therapist suggests.

Try not to stay in the your home. Go out for a walk and wear noise reducing earplugs that have filters in if need be. Keeping away from sound isn't such a good idea at the moment.

Best of luck
      Michael

5. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @pytajnick, I woudl second @Michael Leigh 's recommendations. He is very knowledgeable about tinnitus and various treatment and coping mechanisms. I would add that I have seen many people here claim that a "shower" sound can help mask their tinnitus. I know for me, even though I have been unable to mask mine, a shower sound comes the closest to working. There are many recordings available on the internet of such a sound, or you can experiment and just hop in the shower and see if the sound helps any. But, I would absolutely try what Michael suggested above.