Excessive Ear Wax/Good Home Techniques

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by kmohoruk, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. kmohoruk
      Nerdy

kmohoruk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise, Ear Infection, TMJ
      Hello Dr Nagler,

I have always had issues with excessive ear wax in my ears. I have a feeling that it has to do with my TMJ symptoms and how I clench my jaw and not allowing the wax to flow out naturally.

I have scheduled an ear cleaning with my ENT in about two weeks, but currently I am having issues with waking up with a plugged ear due to ear wax - which in turn makes my T sound a lot louder. I have tried baby oil in my ears and that hasn't seemed to work (unless I should maybe try doing it many days in a row), and have also tried getting water in there during my morning shower (but i'm also a bit afraid that could possibly cause damage to my ears).

I was wondering if you would have any suggestions of any good ways of getting ear wax out at home?

I've debated having a bath like I did when I was a kid and then dunking my head in the bath (that seemed to keep the ear wax under control), but I'm sure that probably may increase the risk of ear infections and all that.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Kris

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Kris, I really do not have any suggestions beyond what you can find in a Google search on the subject. Why don't you ask your ENT about it when you see him or her in two weeks, and post what you learn on the Support forum. I'll look forward to reading it. Thanks.

stephen nagler

• Like Like x 1