Exercise and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by baz 22, Jan 27, 2016.

1. baz 22
      Alone

baz 22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Hi, so I have had tinnitus a month now and I was looking to know if exercise can affect my tinnitus.

Before my tinnitus I used to go to gym a lot. I have stopped now for the past month due to fear of making my tinnitus worse. I do strength training in gym with weights usually and a bit of cardio.

Do you think I can start going to gym again or give it a bit more time since my T is fairly new.

2. PatrickG

PatrickG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punch/kick to the right ear
      Hi @baz 22 ! I don't think it will make it worse. Don't take my word for it but I can't recall anyone mentioned that it has become permanently worse. But it's pretty common to get spikes during/after hard exercise (I'm in this category too). Best wishes to you!

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Exercise if good for you and increase your serotonin .
      If your BP goes up high you might get a little spike but come down again after your workout...... lots of love glynis

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. MonkLN
      Sunshine

MonkLN Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04-2014
      Exercise is good! When i run or play indoor soccer my T always increases (prob because of my blood circulation). but afterwards it always calms down.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      I never stopped going to the gym to lift weights. I do wear my Bose headphones as earmuffs (without music, noise cancelling off) sometimes but only when it's loud music or when i'm lifting next to some dude who tosses his weights around all the time. Looks just like i'm enjoying some music so nobody pays attention. Gyms can get loud from an average 65 db on quiet hours to 80+Db when crammed with people.
      I'd also advise you to take good quality supps (multi vitamin, ZMA, omega 3, high quality protein, etc). I firmly believe that If you're in shape, you can handle your T better

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      I noticed that I get a very short spike after like doing something exhausting. Like running to the train, after sex (!) and I haven't been to the gym after T set in, but I can imagine that the increased pulse will make it sound louder for a period during/after :) Nothing that won't settle of course!

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      baz 22
      Alone

baz 22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Thanks for the replys, I will prob start going back to gym. Need to get life on track someway.

• Like Like x 2
    8. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      I do strength training mostly and it can have an effect, raising the T afterwards, but it isn't something that stays. A component of mine is neck / jaw related so I have to be careful about straining too much. If I cycle rep ranges I'm usually fine but good form and understanding when things are not good for me are key.

The only thing for me is as @Sebastians says, when irritating people feel the need to throw weights around in some testosterone fuelled show and make excessive noise. I resist the urge for murder although it isn't easy. At least I know they will likely give themselves injuries as well as looking like idiots to 99% of others.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

That's how I got my T. Some idiot threw his weights behind me and... T for me. The problem with idiots is that they tend to do more harm to others then to themselves.

• Agree Agree x 3
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      baz 22
      Alone

baz 22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Dam , that's a tough one. I thought the gym was meant to help people. Well the past is the past, I might just bring some ear plugs to the gym now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

Yes, I wear musician's earplugs just in case.

12. Purple Parrot
      Bookworm

Purple Parrot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015 - 3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple: anxiety, childhood ear infections, loud music
      I go to the gym regularly and it helped keep me sane, due to the serotonin boost/runner's high afterwards.

Gyms are often noisy places and I also wear headphones but without music playing to protect my ears from the volume.

More relaxing forms of exercise are also very beneficial for tinnitus, such as yoga, tai chi, swimming at an easy pace, pilates.

13. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Absolutely this! My tinnitus was caused by someone else being careless, not the first time I've seen him do something stupid, do damage, then shrug it off.

I went to the gym once since my onset. I wore earplugs because they insist on playing music. I actually noticed a temporary reduction in my perception of T after doing some cardio. My T is the type that doesn't fluctuate much at all.

14. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Definitely exercise, you will reap the benefits in every way.

If you think your gym might be too loud, take a dB app in with you next time to measure the loudness. Some gyms go crazy with loud music and dummies throwing weights can be bothersome. If you feel your gym is too loud, have a look around and you'll find somewhere that will suit. I have a couple gyms near me, one that plays music but not too loud and the other that doesn't allow any music at all - I switch between both atm. Some gyms even direct members to avoid throwing down weights, so it's just a matter of putting in some time to find the right place.

15. Jamclem
      Fine

Jamclem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flying then Sport (Probs)
      @Steve Good advice! my T changed after doing an excessive push ups over a few days. I suspect mine is also to do with my neck because I used to now and then get trapped nerve feeling on the same side of my T. I reckon I am going to start doing gym stuff from Monday again :woot:

• Like Like x 1
    16. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      I workout three to four times a week and yes I get an increase in T but it generally calms down some within a couple of hours after working out. Lot of advantages to physical activity for mental and body health.

17. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      Just ignore the T and hit the gym. You have to start your life back up again.

18. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      We could probably do with an exercise guide for tinnitus. So many of us have jaw or neck problems that can be made worse. I've recently had to stop doing burn sets, even though I really enjoy them they seem to spike me for some time.

Maybe it's technique, not sure but my tinnitus behaves badly when I'm straining.

19. Enigmatik

Enigmatik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      firework bullies
      Hi, I was able to cure tinnitus a year ago, you need a organic dietary and vetable that has been grown rightfully without chemical and gmo crap, 2 cups with the same organic green bag before sleep help to lower down the pitch. Exercise is very useful to relax your stress, whatever training bring the heat and sweat to your head is necessary to contribute water to the inflammation that cause the tinnitus. I would highly recommend you to eat organic fruit ( I eat organic banana ) before training also stretching help your blood circulation don't forget the neck. Most important amongst everything is to breath slowly. Learn how to deep breath, I can do 4 breath per minutes and its extremely helpful for the mind and body. If you don't do deep breath exercise then you will never make it, apply this technic 24/7. Once you body reaches an healty physical and mind, your tinnitus will start to lower day by day.
      Keep your ear away from excessive sound with ear plug and also lubrificate your ears with olive oil or mineral oil whenever you feel your ear is dry and make sure you clean your hand before putting it in. Make sure your ear can breath too, don't wear it for too long. Your ear get dryer everytime it absorb vibration. Remember that you have hearing as energy and it can get tired after long hours of music listening

No cigarette, weed, alchool, excess of salt whatever make you dry.
      eat vegetable with high ph like cucumber and other stuff that keep your body hydrated and remember no processed food and whatever that has grown with gmo and all those chemical crap. Watch where you buy your product

May god bless you on your journey

• Like Like x 2
    20. Capricornus
      Inspired

Capricornus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      What caused your T the first time you got it? For how long did you have it? How long did it take before you started to notice improvements?

21. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Long term, exercise will help as it reduces stress and helps with sleep. My T is worse after a long bike ride but this is not a permanent effect.

22. cflkb

cflkb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2012
      Same here. I thought I was the only one whose T spiked after a good run or after sex. Thought it was weird.