Experienced in What Tinnitus Sounds like in Carotid Dissection — I Can Answer Any Questions

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tinniger, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      Hi folks,

I am experienced in what tinnitus sounds like in carotid dissection...

If you have any questions concerning carotid dissection and tinnitus - I will answer....

Regards
      Tinniger

2. Scared111

Scared111 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      tell us more. what happened, what it sounds like and how you got it fixed.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinniger

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      O.k.
      The diagnosis is made by MRI, the image looks like this:
      https://radiopaedia.org/cases/carotid-artery-dissection
      The .noise is a distinct pulse-synchronous airflow noise, as we know it from a Doppler auscultation.
      It disappeared after spontaneous recanalization of the carotid artery

• Like Like x 1
    4. Nick07
      Balanced

Nick07 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possibly noise or unknown
      A pulse-synchronous airflow noise, I could describe my tinnitus like that. Though it's not distinct enough to definitively call it pulsatile.

Were there any other symptoms? Like would you say you experienced some kind of physical feeling on the side with the tinnitus or maybe your artery on that side felt tense? Was it bilateral? What kinds of tests would identify this problem?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinniger

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. Michellejean

Michellejean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus/ no clue
      @Tinniger are you healed now? I’m confused.

7. Hannah181088

Hannah181088 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      27 June
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety
      Hi, I also got diagnosed with a CAD after hearing pulsatile tinnitus sounds for 2 weeks. Had a ct angiogram and the doctor said i am lucky I didnt have a stroke!

Please see a doctor if you have pulsatile tinnitus just to make sure!!!

8. Shane eld

Shane eld Guest

Will you please explain more on what happened with you..please. i have had extreme pullsatile tinnitus. I am also going through a benzo detox so i dont know what the cause is.

9. Shane eld

Shane eld Guest

Here are my mri results and mra of the head..

TECHNIQUE: This study was performed on a 1.5 Tesla magnet MRI. Multiplanar
      multisequence MR imaging of the brain was performed, without IV contrast. 3-D
      time-of-flight MRA images were obtained.

FINDINGS:

MRI SCAN OF THE HEAD: The appearance of the brain parenchyma is normal for
      the age of the patient. The ventricles, sulci and fissures have a normal
      appearance. There are no areas of abnormal restricted diffusion. No
      intracranial hemorrhages, hematomas or fluid collections are seen. There is no
      suggestion of intracranial mass. Incidental note is made of small bilateral
      choroidal fissure cysts. The visible bones are intact. There is mucosal
      thickening in the maxillary sinuses and some of the ethmoid sinuses. No sinus
      fluid levels are seen. The cerebellopontine angle, internal auditory canal,
      inner ears and mastoid structures appear unremarkable bilaterally. The
      examination is otherwise unremarkable for the age of the patient.

MRA SCAN OF THE HEAD: No intracranial stenotic lesions are seen. The left P1
      segment is hypoplastic and the left posterior cerebral artery is in direct
      continuity with the left posterior communicating artery. This is a common
      normal variation. No aneurysms or vascular malformations are seen.

IMPRESSION:

Normal studies.

10. Shane eld

Shane eld Guest

I dont even know what that all means.

11. Hannah181088

Hannah181088 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      27 June
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety

Hi, please do not worry, just go see a doctor and discuss your symptoms.

I am uploading a picture to explain what happened to me. It is called a carotid artery dissection. It is basically a tear in the artery wall that cause the artery to narrow and limits blood flow. It is actually very rare. It can be dangerous and could cause a stroke or aneurysm. But just cause it happened to me does not mean it is the same for you. All I am saying is do not just "accept" it and try to find the cause or see a doctor.

At the moment I do not have any swooshing, only heart beating in my ears loudly. So the tinnitus is much beter!

Good luck! Hope you will feel beter soon. I was also very anxious. Try to stay calm until you know the cause.

Attached Files:

12. Cathy P.

Cathy P. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm a 68 yr old in good health (slight low thyroid, low BP) I have had pulsating tinnitus in my left ear since Dec 2019 - came on as a mild drumming sound at a time when I was extremely stressed out. Since then it has gotten louder, more frequent and just recently has begun in my right ear (though much fainter at least so far). At the same time I had some dizziness when laying down and turning my head from one side to another but that went away fairly soon after. I rarely get headaches & then usually sinus related. Take very few meds, mostly vitamins, magnesium, seasonal allergy pills. Hearing test showed only slight, age related hearing loss. I have had a CT of my temporal bones - only comment was a small retention cyst left maxillary sinus. I had a MRA with contrast - reported contrast enhancement of left internal jugular vein from the sigmoid sinus to the distal aspect of the left internal jugular vein. CT Angio of Head & Neck - reports generalized cervical spondylosis and a small flow void in mid left internal jugular where a deep venous structure enters the vein, though no evidence of a frank AV fistula. When things get back to normal (i.e. post Covid-19) Dr. recommends a conventional angiography, which scares me due to the invasive nature. Given the obvious pulse related aspect of my tinnitus I'm pretty sure it is a circulatory problem but it starting in my right ear really throws me. Dr. said it could be an echo from the left ear but I don't buy that as it happens when the left is silent and really makes me doubt his expertise. On the bright side I guess if I was in imminent danger they'd have gotten me in sooner though he did say to go to the hospital if I got a severe headache or my eyes started bulging!

13. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      The angiogram really isn't that bad. I've done multiple. The key is going to a good doctor.