Experiences with Tinnitus After Valsalva Maneuver & Ear Infection?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Solose, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Solose
      Worried

Solose Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/15/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'm on week 2 of tinnitus that I'm afraid I caused myself. I had an ear infection and just googled different relief methods. Tried the Valsalva and it actually really helped, relieved the pressure in my ears. However, at one point I woke up at night with a ton of ear pressure and did it out of habit, half asleep and in a lying down position. That's when the ringing started.

I'm on my 2nd round of antibiotics and steroids, the infection re-appeared after the last round. I do believe the infection is getting better, ear pain and fullness is much better and I can hear better now. However the ringing has gotten worse, louder and more high-pitched.

I'm so upset and having a hard time looking past this.

Does anyone have experience with tinnitus after Valsalva? Did it go away?

I've been to two very unhelpful ENTs, the only place that's actually helped is Urgent Care by treating the infection. I have another appointment in a few weeks.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Solose
      Worried

Solose Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/15/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      It will be 3 weeks next Tuesday since my tinnitus started. I finished my 2nd prednisone taper this Monday. I was feeling very hopeful, the tinnitus was down to a very manageable hiss, and I felt I could get used to it and go on with life. I believe mine was caused by doing the Valsalva maneuver too hard during an ear infection.

Well, after I got off the steroids things have been steadily worsening. I now have fluid in my previously good ear. I saw a new ENT who gave me some hope, he treated my condition seriously and didn't just tell me to wait to get better. He said my eardrum in the ear with tinnitus was extremely inflamed and ear has lots of fluid, I'm scheduled for myringotomy next Tuesday. Taking antibiotic Tobramycin drops even though i know they can be ototoxic but I need them to get eardrum ready for myringotomy.

That myringotomy making things better is my only hope right now. I've had the infection for almost 2 months and I wasn't too bothered by it, but when the tinnitus started I got to a very bad place mentally.

I've had suicidal thoughts frequently, especially after things got worse when I went off the prednisone. To feel like I'm getting my life back and then have it ripped from me was really difficult. I have 2 kids so I am hanging on for them.

It's a beautiful fall night, its Halloween, our family's favorite holiday. I feel so separated from everyone by this.

This doctor gave me a prescription for another prednisone dose pack. I hate the way it makes me feel and was going to try to let my body fight the infection off but I may break down and try it tomorrow. I'm worried if everything is so inflamed it may cause permanent damage.

Thank you for listening. I just feel like I'm in a nightmare and this isn't my body.

I'm not really sure what I'm expecting, I know no one here can tell me how my condition will go, but maybe you can just lie to me and say everything will be all right? Just kidding. I guess I'm just looking for support and hoping typing this out will have some therapeutic effect on me.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Yowza... Sorry to hear you are suffering... welcome to shits ville...

The good news is, you have a good ENT and the myringotomy should sort you out.
      The Prednisone, I don't think you should fear, I'd listen to your doctor... but your call.
      You are going to get better... focus now on positive thoughts, let your family know you need their love and support.

Good luck on Tuesday...

If you are freaking out and scared, perhaps ask for a short script of Valium or something similar, to take the edge off and calm you down. Reach out to your doctor about any of your needs... mental status included.

You are going to be fine...

Daniel

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Solose
      Worried

Solose Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/15/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I had the myringotomy done one 1 ear, the one that looks the worst. The ENT did not put a tube in bc he said it would diminish my hearing and he wanted to see if pressure would equalize on it's own. The day after the myringotomy I felt like T was getting better. However, the hole is supposed to heal up in a few days, and things have been getting worse since then.

The only tjing that appears to help is Prednisone, which the ENT refused to prescribe more of since I've already done 3 courses and I could start to serious side effects. They were short courses though, I think it probably would have been better if I had 1 longer course but to late now.

I'm glad there is a medicine that moderately helps but i cant keep taking it. It looks like I have Eustachian Tube Dysfunction which may play a part in this. When the doc did my the myringotomy he said my middle ear is extremely inflamed and the eardrum is thickened and there was an infection at 1 point. It made me moderately hopeful thar maybe once i find a solu3to the ETD this will heal. Right now I still have T as well as ear and head pain and pressure. The T kind of varies in severity.

When

• Hug Hug x 1