Experiencing tinnitus for the first time - What will it take for others to learn from us?

Discussion in 'Support' started by demi, Feb 16, 2014.

1. demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      This isn't a post about myself, weird huh? haha

So as most of you know when I first got T it was over a year ago. I had warned my friends who were frequent concert goers to please start protecting their ears. One friend in particular goes to bars/clubs/concerts multiple times a week. A couple months ago she told me she should of listened because now she has T. Well here's the kicker, she continues to live this lifestyle and continues to not protect her ears. I don't get it. Then when I see her complain on the internet about her ears being so loud and she wants to cry after a night out at a concert I can't help but just keep reminding her to please if she is going to continue this to wear earplugs. I don't wish what happened to me upon anyone. Going from mild T to spiking it and not having problems with H and TTS and ETD.

What will it take for others to learn from some of our mistakes?

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Kimbo Slice
      Balanced

Kimbo Slice Member

Sometimes it takes a little more than "just telling them to protect themselves." Not to be rude but sometimes it comes out to be nagging. Mainly what you want to do is give them the scientific facts about how the ear works, what will damage them, how long it will take to damage them, and how to find out what level of noise is damaging. Take them on a trip to an electronic store and get them to buy a decibel meter, teach them how to use the it, and a pair of ear defenders. I personally would have loved to have any friends who cared about me that much. Unfortunately there aren't many of those around here, and not many of them will even care to listen, but since you seem to care a lot about yours, take the extra mile if they mean that much to you. If you've done all that, well, there's not much more you can do. :huganimation:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    3. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      If she already has it and its getting louder then she should learn from her own mistakes, not yours. If she cant do that, its her problem.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    4. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I have a friend who has tinnitus and still goes out a lot without any protection. Her tinnitus just came from one second to another while watching tv so it isn't noise induced. She says she can only hear it at night and that it's not loud at all, even when she goes into a club and comes back home she can barely hear it. It always stays the same and is very mild. I guess every tinnitus is different and some people just don't want to change their lifestyle and take the risk willingly to make it worse with time..

5. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I've told all my friends and family, and they've seen the state of me lately ie" crying all the time, anxious, depressed etc, etc ... one of my friends works in a factory and has never worn ear plugs when she's put in a rather loud part of the factory ... SHE DOES NOW!!!

6. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      @seal i suppose if its noise induced one should stay out of loud noises:) if its not noise induced it makes sense that there is no problem.

7. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      You think so? I'm not so sure it's that easy, of course people with noise induced tinnitus are more likely to cause even more damage with loud music and noises but I don't think that anybody with tinnitus should go to clubs without hearing protection - in fact I don't even think anyone without tinnitus should go to clubs without war plugs!

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Some statistical data indicates not all people with damaged hearing get tinnitus which means that there is more to it than just damaged ears. Also I recently read an article about how in people with mild tinnitus the swift to severe tinnitus is connected to severe stress, which means that probably other processes are involved. You probaly know that stuff yourself.
      However, I do agree that going to clubs without plugs is a rather big risk and might end quite badly. I wouldnt take that risk! (Ive decided not to go to club,s concerts, bars anyway - at least the ones with ridicously loud music). However the fact it hasnt gotten louder for her might be explained by the fact that tinnitus doesn't always have to be caused by nerve damage.