Experiment With a Ticking Clock

Discussion in 'Support' started by Neenie, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Heya all,
      I bought a loud ticking clock and hung it in the living room. I want to see how long it takes me to habituate to that and whether I habituate faster than the tinnitus or not. My partner already doesn't notice it after 1 hour....meanwhile the ticking is driving me crazy!

• Like Like x 1
    2. Hendre Vlad
      Haunting

Hendre Vlad Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medicine , noise induced.
      I have a ticking clock to....but dont hear it since i put music when i sleep :D

3. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I never in my life could stand a ticking clock in the room. Weird huh?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Yer, I think with sound tolerance there are only two types of people. Those that adapt, and those that don't. People who don't hear a ticking clock, like my partner, I presume would cope fine with tinnitus as he is able to concentrate fully on something else. Then there is me, who hears every single tick of that clock, and even as I'm typing this I am hearing it. Maybe we're all magical people that can in fact focus on two things at once! Haha

5. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      @Neenie - Have you gave up on finding a organic cause of your tinnitus? My tinnitus is too variable and loud to habituate to... IMO.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      From what I've read, the human mind is amazing. You CAN in fact get used to it even if it is variable and loud. Do some psychological experiments on yourself. Such as, turn the TV on, put it at a volume that is louder or just as loud as your tinnitus. Then pick up a book you love to read, or a game you love to play, or do something you love. Then you can hear the TV still on, but you can't understand what they're saying and you can not focus on the sound and it doesn't annoy you. This is what I'm trying to do with myself. It's not working by the way, haha, sigh. But for all other normal people it should!

7. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mine will go away completely at times (when I am distracted & busy--sometimes drugs also work), only to be reset upon awakening. Does yours go away completely (or nearly) to give you hope? Or is yours a solid tone that does not change....that only goes away when you sleep? BTW, I don't think I'm normal, at least with my head noises anyway. :(

8. Liesel

Liesel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2013
      My main T noise varies A LOT. I'll have hours where I'll have to go to a quiet room and plug my ears to see if it's still there. Then some nights I'll wake up hours before my alarm because the ringing got so loud. I've habituated for the most part though. There's a bit of calm in knowing that the wave of sound will go down again, even if just temporarily.

9. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, it is nice to know from past experiences that the noise will go down or away....but that can be a long wait at times.
      My bad days outnumber my good ones by a wide margin, unfortunately. Well, it's midnight over here so I guess I will call it a day.

Goodnight to all!

10. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      I'm exactly the same!

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Nah mine is the same frequency same volume all the time. I can't hear it when I'm asleep, mainly because I have a sound system set up in my room that plays really loud rain. I love it. It's the only time of the entire day where I feel a little at peace! It hasn't gotten any better since beginning of September, so 4 months now. Every morning I wake up with a glimmer of hope which is shattered after 1 second post waking. Ah, anyway, whatever...ill just have to get used to it

12. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I hide ticking clocks at my parents house when I'm there. I habituated to my T. Mine is not loud I guess.

13. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      One sound that drives me crazy is loud walkers. I just cannot stand the "THUD THUD THUD" or the the "BOOM BOOM BOOM" of someone slamming their heels when they walk.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Y
      YES What's the deal with these people?