Exploding Head Syndrome?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Deepsky24, Oct 2, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Deepsky24

Deepsky24 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Live music, alcohol.
      So I posted on here a little while ago and was disappointed with the lack of feedback but now I have a new theory on what's going on in my head. I've been experiencing a zapping like jolt that I hear in my head but only when I lie down and the best explanation I've found for it is Exploding head syndrome. How about that for a name! I don't hear it sitting up or standing. I can hear approximately 5 of them at any one time if I lie down, along with the tinnitus. It's like an electricity shock coursing through your head. Apparently the syndrome is benign, a para insomnia and/or an auditory hallucination and the attacks are known to disappear but most likely will return at some point. There is no pain associated with them, but they are very distressing even though I'm almost getting used to them. I'm hoping these attacks will subside.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2. Michael B

Michael B Member

Sorry for the lack of feedback. It doesn't sound pleasant at all! I hope it's a temporary condition and that you find relief soon.

3. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Sounds kind of vascular.

4. fedup

fedup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection and earphone use
      I have had a similar thing ,sort of brain zaps but it has always been caused by reducing certain meds and it soon wears off.
      I have had exploding head syndrome many times ,just as I wake there is a huge BANG !!!

5. Jacob83

Jacob83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud headphones
      I've had this happen to me before a handull of times in life, the 'exploding head syndrome.' Right when I first fall asleep, I've heard a large bang similar to a door being slammed and jump up in fear. Yours sounds incredibly different, but it could be that, too. I'd ask a doctor if I were you

• Good Question Good Question x 1