Extreme tinnitus spike and ear pain

Discussion in 'Support' started by thenobody, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Mr. Cartman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi Lynn.

She was taking 80mg Propranolol depotcaps. daily.

I havent tried them yet, but I will if everything else fails.

I FINALLY came to see an ENT that seemed to know a lot more than expected.

He is going to send me to a specialized ear lab. where they will do extensive testing.

Tests from here include:
      Otoacoustic emission test
      Extended audiogram
      Possibly electrocochlear imaging
      Check for fluid leak from the inner ear (from the oval or round window), also measure fluid pressure within the inner ear and maybe cerebralspinal fluid pressure as well.
      See if there are fractures somewhere in the ear.
      See if the muscles and bones are working properly.
      And some impedance test.

Some tests will be done by an audiologist and some probably at a hospital.

Not sure how this all works, but I guess they might have to use a tiny camera or something to check for leaks and to have a look at the middle ear.
      This ENT was also a specialized laser surgeon and had also specialized in mucous membranes and seemed to know a ton more than my previous ENT.

If everything seems to be fine regards the ear, the next step will be to evaluate my neck and then temporal mandable joint for inflammation, nerves being pinched or whatever it might be.

I really have to get to the bottom of this condition. Especially with the pain involved.

If you want to, I can keep you updated.

• Like Like x 2
    2. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Also, from extensive MRI and CT evaluation, they found a negative density in my left occipital condyl. Probably caused by a lipom.
      If this is related or not, they are not sure yet, but they dont think it is. Im heading for a new CT scan in august to make sure this isnt something that is progressing.

3. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Where did you have the lipoma? I have like three lipomas on my scalp, the doctor told me they were harmless so can't really see how they can contribute to all this.

4. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      It is located at my left occipital condyl. At the bony structure so to speak.

5. lapidus

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Ok, then it's closer to the ear. Mine are like on top of my head, in three different places.

6. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Yeah. I think lipomas are pretty common and should be removed if they are causing pain by pinching a nerve or a blood vessel or something.

Im no doctor, so cant really tell for sure :)

I think pinched or irritated nerves can cause a host of symptoms, including T.

7. lapidus

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yeah @Mr. Cartman, but removing a lipoma counts as a "cosmetic surgery" in Sweden so inscurance won't cover that :p

8. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hehe :) I would think it depends where the lipoma is located though.. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Do you also have a host of painful symptoms together with your T?

10. lapidus

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      No, not really. I get pain because of my H and tensor tympani syndrome. My H also started some week after I hit my head really hard, almost right on one of my lipomas, so I'm just trying to find the cause of all this. But I didnt get a concussion so the doctor thought it was very unlikely.

11. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hopefully your body will heal then, if it was caused by a hit to your head :)

What kind of pain does your TTTS cause?

12. lapidus

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Well I hit my head sometime in early November 2013 so I guess my body would have "healed" by now. Do not think that what's really caused it though. My TTS cause me spasms in both of my ears when i hear sounds. It's much worse in the morning. When I wake up my ears can spasm like crazy even in silence. Like when I yawn or stretch some weird muscles in my neck. The spasms kinda hurt if they spasm for too long. Like if I would take a shower without earplugs in the morning my ears would probably spasm until I pass out. Later in the day, when my ears has gotten more used to sounds, this does not happen as easily. It's quite hard to explain.

13. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hard to say though, but nerves repair very slow from what I have read.

I understand what you mean.. I have some spasms of this muscle as well..

14. OTE="Mr. Cartman, post: 45436, member: 3866"]Hi Lynn.

She was taking 80mg Propranolol depotcaps. daily.

I havent tried them yet, but I will if everything else fails.

I FINALLY came to see an ENT that seemed to know a lot more than expected.

He is going to send me to a specialized ear lab. where they will do extensive testing.

Tests from here include:
      Otoacoustic emission test
      Extended audiogram
      Possibly electrocochlear imaging
      Check for fluid leak from the inner ear (from the oval or round window), also measure fluid pressure within the inner ear and maybe cerebralspinal fluid pressure as well.
      See if there are fractures somewhere in the ear.
      See if the muscles and bones are working properly.
      And some impedance test.

Some tests will be done by an audiologist and some probably at a hospital.

Not sure how this all works, but I guess they might have to use a tiny camera or something to check for leaks and to have a look at the middle ear.
      This ENT was also a specialized laser surgeon and had also specialized in mucous membranes and seemed to know a ton more than my previous ENT.

If everything seems to be fine regards the ear, the next step will be to evaluate my neck and then temporal mandable joint for inflammation, nerves being pinched or whatever it might be.

I really have to get to the bottom of this condition. Especially with the pain involved.

If you want to, I can keep you updated.[/QUOTE]
      Yes if you could, that be great :) hope they get to the bottom of it for you..it's good they are doing so many tests. .so far I am just waiting on an oae and I already had ct scan.

15. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Yes if you could, that be great :) hope they get to the bottom of it for you..it's good they are doing so many tests. .so far I am just waiting on an oae and I already had ct scan.[/QUOTE]

Will do :)

Well, either way this has to be figured out.

I do know one person that experienced T and headaches from kidney stones as well. This had been going on for quite some time without knowing anything about her kidney stones. Eventually she found out because of increasing pain. Everything resolved once the kidney stones were taken care of.

I dont think thats the case with me, but maybe something to bear in mind as well :)

16. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      I am currently having a nasty spike and feeling really down. My ears are full as well. It started after I sprayed a decongestant into my nose yesterday because my nose is blocked always. My ears feel full today and the ringing is worse :(

17. Ichigo
      Supportive

Ichigo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      Same for me, I smoked twice recently and I got a terrible spike.
      And yes, I smoked because of the anxiety caused by T.
      Now when I'm at school I get terrible ear pain and pressure feeling eventhough I wear earplugs (not to mention that it has a bad influence on my studying process, I unconsciously concentrate on my T rather than what ther teacher is saying). I can't sleep at night. I'm close to mental breakdown. So close... I'm only 17 and I don't want to be possesed by this sh*t for my entire life.
      God, help me.

18. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi ,
      Have a word with your doctor on how you are feeling and see if he can arrange talking therapy too.
      Let your teacher,tutor,head of year know you have tinnitus and not sleeping and concentration ploblems due to it and they can support you through your learning years in education.
      The unwanted emotions and social,physical and emotional problems with the tinnitus sound are hard but don't give up there is help.
      Happy talk with you on the phone if in this country...lots of love glynis

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      thenobody

thenobody Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello everyone, I know this is a very old topic, and I'm not sure what the rules are for reviving threads, but I felt like this was the best place to post. I want to give an update.

I don't want to leave this topic behind as a source of negative energy. Reading posts about people going through hard times really did not improve my situation years ago. In fact, I think reading the internet was kind of traumatizing. Positivity and succes stories are very important. And they are out there.

I think I've done it. I've reached habituation. After more than three years of struggling and going up and down I feel like I've finally stabilized. The tinnitus is still there and so is the hyperacusis. Although, the hyperacusis is much less than in the beginning, some days even completely gone as long as I avoid loud noise and stress. Most of the physical pain is gone. The tinnitus' volume is roughly the same, some days worse, some days better, but the way I am coping has drastically improved. It all feels less intense now.

The way I learned to manage it is nothing new really. It's advice people already give. Psychotherapy to improve my overall mental health, a healthier lifestyle with a better diet and more exercise, better posture, stopped clenching my jaw and grinding my teeth, massages, eliminating factors of stress as much as possible. I stopped reading tinnitus boards and webpages. I stopped giving tinnitus as much attention and stopped it from being the center of my life.

Things that have helped me a lot are meditation and mindfulness, and looking into things like Buddhism and spirituality. These things are not for everyone, but apparently they are for me. I opened my mind and found relief.

Before I didn't believe in things like meditation, even though I had given it a shot. Things just didn't click. I even refused to do Tinnitus Retraining Therapy because I thought it was a bunch of nonsense. But it's not.
      Through meditation I've improved my overall well-being and learned to accept tinnitus as a part of my life. Now it is one of the many automatic sensations in my body that I have no real control over. It's neither good nor bad, it simply is. Sometimes it suddenly spikes and demands attention, but I let it do its thing without agonizing over it and then eventually it goes down again. Like the sudden rapid beating of my heart, it can be startling, but there is no real harm and nothing is permanent. I try to focus on my breathing and let it pass through me. Meditation has eliminated most of my mental suffering.

Until there's a pill or treatment that will literally make the ringing stop, the above mentioned things will keep me stable. I feel like I was in a constant state of fight-or-flight and now I am no longer.

I wish you all the best. When you're going through a rough time, try to remember, you are not alone. We're in this together. And tinnitus is not the end. :huganimation:

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 3
    20. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      Great story man! Good on you and thanks for getting back here with a positive story.
      Reminds me of this guy and his practical use of meditation and yoga to deal with T and H:

• Like Like x 1