Extremely High-Frequency Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Believin' Steven, May 10, 2017.

1. Believin' Steven
      Cowboy

Believin' Steven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Prolonged use of in ear headphones during sleep
      I have an extremely high frequency tinnitus. Probably more than 15 kHz. It hurts so much and I have no idea how to help it. It has only just showed up over the past week and I've been awoken for 5 days.

Has anyone lowered this somehow or am I doomed?

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Do you have any measured hearing loss?
      What have you tried so far?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Believin' Steven
      Cowboy

Believin' Steven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have yet to go to my GP. It is currently 2:30 AM where I am and I have an appointment at 1 PM with hopes of getting some pain relief or sleeping meds. I've tried masking it but the frequency is too high and I believe I am developing hyperacusis as my ears hurt from loud noise. They feel swollen and blocked. The ringing is super intense. I am actually reeling in pain atm. Don't know what to do

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Believin' Steven
      Cowboy

Believin' Steven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Would hearing aids lower the T if I happened to have high frequency hearing loss?

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Maybe you can go to the emergency? They can at least give you a sedative to ease your discomfort. At 2:30 am, there should not be too many people there. You are not sleeping anyway. Maybe you will get lucky and the doctor there will be able to actually help...

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It seems like there is more to this than just plain T changing pitch. If you have a large hospital nearby, they ought to have an ENT on-call there, who will hopefully know what this could be a symptom of.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Believin' Steven
      Cowboy

Believin' Steven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I already went to the emergency earlier because I couldn't bare it. Waited 3 hours to be given a Valium and he didn't even check my ears. Just please keep talking me through until then morning because this is taking my mind off of it. Ideally what could be done other than sedatives? Could anything else actually help. Cause this is insane I'm shaking so much

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      One has to be a psychopath to do that to a person who is suffering... But I can definitely see something like this happening in my country, too.

You could try driving to another hospital, or even coming back to the same hospital and demanding to be seen by an on-call ENT.

I guess you can try searching the net trying to figure out what this could be.

I just did a quick search, and came up with
      http://www.livestrong.com/article/541956-ear-ringing-vitamin-b-complex/
      "Although ear infections are more common in children than in adults, it is possible for a person of any age to suffer an ear infection. Possible symptoms associated with an ear infection include sharp or shooting pains, and temporary hearing loss or ringing in the ear. MedlinePlus states that infections of the outer or middle ear typically involve earache. Treatments for ear infections include corticosteroids for the inflammation and any itchiness, painkillers such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen to relieve pain, and vinegar drops to combat the infection."

I guess if you show the above to them (print it out, or use your phone), tell them it is an ear infection, and demand to see an on-call ENT, they may give steroids to you, and your healing will start sooner...

Good luck...

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Believin' Steven
      Cowboy

Believin' Steven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm fairly sure this is my T as I had a lot more milder and bareable version up until the weekend when it just got 10 times worse.

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I thought T is usually painless. It is the pain that makes it seem that it could be an ear infection...

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Believin' Steven
      Cowboy

Believin' Steven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That why I think I'm developing hyperacusis

12. hopeforme

hopeforme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown/ear infection/noise
      What did you do over the weekend?

Get some prednisone if you can if it's from an acoustic trauma. Hope you get seen by an ENT quick.

13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Do you feel pain when you hear external sounds? I don't think H sufferers feel pain when hearing T sounds.

14. Michelle G

Michelle G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure at a concert
      I used a neti pot to get rid of my blocked ears and now I am in a bit of pain. My ent said that the water probably is stuck in my Eustachian tubes which are currently blocked due to my previous cold. I am thinking of taking a small dose of prednisone for a week, although my ent said that he does not recommend it as it should go away over time. Any chance you might have had a cold/ blocked ears? Or accidentally had water in your nose or ears? I have only had tinnitus and mild Eustachian tube dysfunction for a month so I am still dealing with this myself. If you don't suspect an ear infection, pressure in your ears can cause a similar pain. I would recommend getting a tympanogram done by your audiologist to make sure no fluid is pushing against your eardrum, preventing any permanent damage. Good luck to all of you!

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Believin' Steven
      Cowboy

Believin' Steven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm not even sure anymore. I'm trying to mask the ringing but it overpowers everything and I can't tell if the volume on the masker is too high or my T is giving me some psychosomatic responses to it volume

16. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      To determine whether or not it is an ear infection (which would have been wonderful, as ear infections can be treated), you may consider turning off the masker for 15-30 minutes, and seeing whether you are still experiencing ear pain at the end of that time. If you still have pain, it has got to be an ear infection, or something else that's not simple T...

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Believin' Steven
      Cowboy

Believin' Steven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah I did that and it seemed to alleviate some pain. And stupidly I got curious and checked my frequency and made it a little worse. I really feel like I need some meds or something to knock me out. I've been up for 5 straight days and nights and that has to be taking its toll. I can't take this anymore I feel like my hearing is getting progressively worse every second I'm awake

18. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      There is still a chance that you are having an ear infection.

The fact that you haven't been sleeping for so long is probably having an impact on T. It is a vicious cycle. Doesn't the valium you got at the emergency help you sleep?

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Believin' Steven
      Cowboy

Believin' Steven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It wasn't much and by the time I got back it pretty much wore off and the T took hold

20. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Maybe if you take it and go to bed, you will be able to fall asleep? Sleep might be one of the few things that has a chance to improve T.

Valium is on the list of ototoxic drugs... Having said this, so is Ativan (that I took, and seemed to be fine) and Xanax (that others on this site took)
      http://hlaa-sbc.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Ototoxic_Brochure.pdf

So try not to take too much...

You may want to ask your doctor for something that is not on that list. My ENT refused to give me anything like that.

21. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Are you feeling any better? What did your doctor say?

22. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I have really high T. Try masking with an app that has crickets or on the main page on tinnitus talk on the right is an audio player and the "bell melody" really helps me

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Believin' Steven
      Cowboy

Believin' Steven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Bill. I am feeling a lot better but only after finally achieving 9-10 hours of sleep thanks to some sleeping pills and a white noise machine I bought. Doc said my ear drums and what not are all fine and there is no indication of infection. I have an appointment with an ENT on Tuesday. The pitch is still quite high and I can hear it over everything but the volume of it has calmed down significantly. Hears hoping I don't have hearing loss and my T stays at this bearable level.

24. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hello, Steve

Thank you for the update. Now I (and others) will know that there is always hope a spike (no matter how horrific it is) can improve when we wake up. The fact that it is improving seems like a very good sign. I sincerely hope you will keep getting better.