Fear of Car Accidents — How Many of You Wear Earplugs?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sean, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Hi everyone,

Lately I have been scared of car accidents. I drive pretty careful but if someone were to hit me, car accidents are loud and if air bags goes off they are super loud (165 dB).

How many of you wear ear plugs while driving? I would hate for Tinnitus to get worse because of an accident. I don't wear ear plugs now because I just hate wearing them while I am driving.

I hate that this stupid tinnitus stops me from doing so many things in life!

2. Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      Ear plugs seem extreme for driving...I mean if you're in an accident I don't think your plugs would even do much good after the air bag bashes into your head.

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Try to stay calm and relax and play music you like at a low volume when you need a break from your tinnitus.
      Keep noise reduction plugs handy when your around loud sound that is not a normal daily sound for you like the cinema or club or loud restaurant.
      Regarding driving it's got to be trial and error for what you feel comfortable with as everyone is different.
      Love glynis

4. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      @Sean

Don't do it. Wearing earplugs whilst driving can lull you into a false sense of security. The unnaturalness of the "dulled" sounds could prevent you from hearing something crucial leading you to cause an accident. You need your full wits around you when driving.

If you drive defensively, this reduces the chance of an accident and the air bag going off.