Fear of Wearing Earplugs (Inserting, Hurting My Eardrum, Pressure Problems) — Advice?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Striveon, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've been afraid of wearing earplugs because what if I put them wrong, what if I hurt my eardrum or cause pressure problems, etc.

I now think I should start wearing earplugs.

Can earplugs cause pressure, fullness or any negative effect?

2. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      A couple of things:

1. To avoid pressure problems, just be very patient in removing earplugs, especially foam. Don't rip them out. Very gently and slowly wiggle them out.

2. Wearing earplugs contributes to wax build up. Debrox (no syringe) and/or manual cleaning from your ENT.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. junior ramano

junior ramano Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud noise
      Can I burst my eardrum if I insert a foam earplug all th way down?

When I insert them, I can't insert them more than 1.5 cm (that is, they are still about 0.7 cm out). Is this normal? Is my ear canal too short?

4. Shizune
      Alone

Shizune Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A curse
      I was going to suggest using the Mack's Dreamgirl Earplugs that tend to be smaller, but I'm seeing they're still 2.2 cm, just more narrow, not sure if yours are also. Maybe you can cut the ends (as in, the part that goes into your ear)? They'd lose the taper but you can probably roll them up just fine.

I've had earplugs rub up against my eardrum plenty and it just tickles if anything but since yours are a bit short, I'd be careful.