February 2021: Vote on Your Favourite Research Paper!

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hazel, Mar 9, 2021.

?

Which of the following research papers do you find most valuable?

1. Tinnitus and 3-year change in audiometric hearing thresholds

2. Effectiveness of hearing aid treatment in patients with chronic tinnitus

3. Evaluation of vestibulo-ocular reflex (VOR) in tinnitus patients with normal hearing

4. Spontaneous firing patterns in the medial geniculate nucleus in a guinea pig model of tinnitus

5. Efficacy of percutaneous vagal stimulation in the treatment of chronic tinnitus

6. Salicylate decreases the spontaneous firing rate of guinea pig auditory nerve fibres

7. Comparison of treatment outcome between rTMS and tDCS in intractable tinnitus

8. Social support and tinnitus distress: the importance of developing positive psychological qualities

9. Cognitive difficulties among tinnitus patients: is the problem tinnitus or something else?

10. Using cortical neuron markers to target cells in the dorsal cochlear nucleus

11. Factors affecting success of betahistine treatment in patients with idiopathic subjective tinnitus

12. Assessment of vitamin B12, copper and potassium levels in adult patients with tinnitus

13. Impact of tinnitus masking on auditory brainstem response results

14. The progression of chronic tinnitus over the years

15. Association between hearing status and tinnitus distress

16. Does inflammation play a role in the pathophysiology of tinnitus?

17. Effect of frequency discrimination training on tinnitus with flat sensorineural hearing loss

18. Relationship between retinal nerve thickness, cochlear nerve thickness, tinnitus and hearing loss

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      change-the-course-of-tinnitus-research.png

Vote once again on the 'best' paper of the month!

Select ONE research paper from the list above. The list represents all tinnitus-related academic papers published last month.

Vote on whichever paper YOU believe is most valuable to those with tinnitus or just whichever one you personally find most interesting.

More background on the papers?

Review the PDF attached below. It contains full titles, dates, links to the original publications, AND
      a short summary of each paper, to make it even easier for you!

We’d like to extend a big thank you to @Frédéric for compiling the list of papers!

What will happen with the results?

The aggregated data will be presented to the research community, in order to influence the direction of tinnitus research!

We are collaborating in this project with the Tinnitus Research Initiative (TRI) and through their channels, e.g. by presenting the voting results at the TRI conference, we will encourage researchers to take into account what people with tinnitus want from research, with the quantitative data collected through these monthly votes as hard evidence.

More Information

You can still vote in the January round as well, if you want. You can also read more there about how we select the papers in the list. Basically, we select all papers from a given month that focus on tinnitus, without any particular bias. It's up to YOU — not us — to indicate what you find valuable.

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 1
    2. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I haven't voted yet but wanted to say that I found #17 (Effect of frequency discrimination training on tinnitus with flat sensorineural hearing loss) particularly fascinating because the majority of tinnitus patients improved (8/11 that finished, though I do wonder why 5 dropped out...) with just listening training. And 3/11 had full resolution of tinnitus, amazingly.

On the surface, this study seems too specific to help many people, but it does seem to show that maybe you can reverse some of the maladaptive plasticity without restoring normal input if there isn't much difference in hearing loss across your whole cochlea. Simply put, with the right kind of listening training, maybe your brain can stop comparing "expected" to "actual" sound when it all sounds uniformly "off" in the same way. Interesting.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Did you figure out what that training consisted of? It wasn't clear to me from the abstract and I had never heard of it. Certainly a study to pique one's curiosity...
      Let us know when you make a choice :)

4. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      It appears to be just "pitch training" using a game.

I ended up picking that one because it was the most surprising to me, and I want to know more because some people could benefit immediately.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Interesting to see that all the papers got at least one vote this time. In previous rounds, we had quite a few papers with zero votes, this time it's a much more even spread!

The paper I voted on does seem to be ahead by a small margin though :)

Overall, a low number of votes though, probably because we didn't send out an alert this time. Still, would love to see more votes here.

6. Nobody19

Nobody19 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clubbing
      When is the deadline @Hazel?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey there, thanks for asking :)

We plan to keep these monthly polls open until the end of the year, at which point we will close them, analyse the data, and write a report to be shared with the research community.

• Helpful Helpful x 1