Feeling Much Better

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marc22, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      exposure to broken muffler noise
      Hi folks:

In case anyone is interested, I thought I'd give you all an update on my ears' condition.

I started a very bad hyperacusis setback in early January. I posted here about that around that time in a thread started by Cora.

After a good recovery after Easter, I had two new setbacks since then. I had not realised how fragile the Easter recovery had been, so doing some stuff I thought was OK turned out to be wrong. Now, 6 months into my setback, I have climbed up the greasy poll again and I am pretty good most of the time, but it is fragile. It would not take much to plunge me back into agony again, so I take little risk and stay within narrow boundaries. I can talk on the phone longer now, but no more than 10-15 minutes (same for the computer keyboard). I was used to unlimited use of the phone and keyboard. With the summer and all the noise during the day outside (trucks, lawn mowers, saws etc).. it is difficult dodging them to get to the local library, even if this is a quiet suburban area (quiet really ONLY at night!).

I do not know if I am going to ever get back to how I was before this major setback. If not, I think I will try TRT again.I miss listening to music and going to places I can't go to now. Not to mention, I have some important medical appointments that I should go to, but have put off due to my fear of a setback even in a taxi with my earmuffs on.

So even though I am not back to what I was, I am better. So I hope that can inspire others to persevere in the face of initial trauma or setback. Usually one will always get better if one is careful.

Marco

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Have you had any dental procedures done after your setback, or between the initial onset of your T and the start of the setback this year? Did it have a bad impact on your T?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No I have not had any noisy dental procedures after my setback, and never will even if better. If I ever get a cavity, I am going to have the tooth pulled. Any noisy drill would kill my ears.That is why I carefully brush and floss every day. So far so good; no cavities since 10 years.

Incidentally, after I posted yesterday, I fell into horrible hyperacusis for a day, because I pushed writing from this keyboard too far. But I have bounced back much earlier than before and feel OK today. So I am getting better. But it is very precarious.

Marco

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TO THE MODERATOR:

Since opening this thread, I have grown worse in the last two days. So I was wondering if you can modify the title of this thread by adding the word TEMPORARILY at the end of the title. I do not want to give anyone false hope, although the improvements cited were certainly true...until 2 days ago, when I got worse for reasons unknown.

I could not modify the title myself.

Thanks.

Marco

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bill Bauer:

You're welcome.

Marco

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Some good and bad news from two weeks ago when I last posted. I got way better since July 13 th. But I stumbled stupidly into a setback yesterday. I always do the following when I hear a potentially very loud unknown source outside my apartment: I run towards it to identify where it is coming from, and then take off my ear muffs for 10 seconds to determine how loud it is . When I was better, that was not a problem. Now I can really hurt myself if I even expose myself to really loud sounds for 10 seconds, as I found out yesterday. Yet I still did it . Habit? Panic? Was there at least some reason to do it? Well, if I think the source may be there long (unlike a lawnmower) I may need to stay home and change plans, or maybe even leave the house. So there is a rational part, but I can't do this any longer, really. I controlled myself later when something similar happenned, so that was good.

In a little while , an apartment building with 100-200 apartments just across from me is going to have most of their bricks changed outside, so the superintendent told me. So there is another worry. The noise from that for the rest of the summer AND early next summer. .Although the two sides of the building facing away from my apartment should not be a problem.

Better stop now. Feeling better from the h. setback today, but the keyboard sound is getting to me now, and my ears are ringing a bit (luckily I have little tinnitus, I use this message board for h.)

Marco

• Like Like x 1