Feeling of a Nerve Throbbing Above the Ear?

Discussion in 'Support' started by juliob, Nov 11, 2018.

1. juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressants / Loud Sound Exposure
      I am not sure if this is the right place to post this because I am not sure if this is tinnitus related.

Well, I was some time ago with this throbbing/burning feeling on a nerve just above the right ear (the same ear of my tinnitus). Ok, maybe burning does not describe well: I does not hurt, it's nothing serious actually... I just can FEEL and NOTICE a sensation there... it's not like a pain, but I can feel this nerve more active or hot than the rest of everything.

This happens to me rarely, but I wonder if there is any relationship with tinnitus. Maybe it's important to consider that I take 0,625mg of Xanax distributed by the day, so, sometimes I wonder if I am developing tolerance or it's an occasional side effect.

As I have difficult describing the feeling, I didn't find any topic with something like this lol. Any experience or light that you can give to me regarding this?

Cheers!

2. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Not sure I have ever experienced it myself so it might be medication related, but that's a guess.

How did your fading T episodes turn out? Feel better?

3. TLion

TLion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress/loud concert
      I know the same feeling IN my ear. It's no pain, it's not fullness, it feels like an irritated nerve. Something which is overstimulated and a little "tired". Don't know how to describe it otherwise.

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      it be be some form of hyperacusis

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I also think it's medication related.

About the episodes: my T was in the baseline level until today, with no fleeting tinnitus streak like that day. Today, I woke up with my T kinda redistributed in my head: I have the impression that if shifted to the left ear/the middle of the head, but with the same volume as before.

6. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      T is known to move around and change regardless of what we do. Seems like normal behavior.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I see.... is that a constant feeling for you? I don't have this sensation in the ear, it's in the right head temple. When it happens, I can barely notice, but it's there when I focus. Maybe it's stress related.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hmm... even for people not taking any kind of pills? I wonder if those shifts happens with people with T that does not hang in any kind of treatment, or if happens only for those playing the serotonin game. I am almost creating a thread for this doubt lol.

9. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have read numerous accounts on here of people whos T flutuates in pitch, tone, sound type and noise level all the time even throughout the day. This seems pretty normal for people with T.

My own T seems to change between different types of sounds everyday , even during different times of the day. Noise level thankfully stays around the same, but the pitch, tone, etc changes.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hmm, I don't know. Even exposed to loud and irritating sounds doesn't causes pain to me. And when this sensation happens, it happens even in profound silence.

I wish I was med free for like 2 years to have some extra information.

11. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      There may be different subtypes or seperate pathologies that cause ear pain that are just vaguely called hyperacusis

that's the problem the word "hyperacusis" is not even a medical term, it's just a loose term to describe several unclassified conditions of ear pain.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I see... but do you think it might be the case even with it being in the right temple and not in the ear itself? If that is the case, is there anything that I could do or any test that might help me?

13. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      sadly I don't know what can help you, does noise trigger pain?

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No problem... And no, not at all.

15. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      I have facial pain. Other H sufferers also have facial pain. I also have weird facial sensations, not necessarily pain, just sensations (itch, cold, heat, pressure, it varies without rhyme or reason). Yes, I felt it on my right temple, maybe because my right ear is my worse ear.

For me, not all noises cause instant pain. Probably the same case for you, that's why you think you have pain in silence but it may just be a delayed reaction, or a reaction to cumulative exposure.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How would you describe the pain you have on the face? And how exactly is the feeling on the right temple? Are those constant?

It's strange for me because even NOT exposing myself to loud noises for days, I can still have this sensation. Also, I feel no pain when exposed to loud noises, going to concerts or then crowded bars with a lot of noise. Even high frequency and high volume noises does not triggers pain on me.

• Informative Informative x 1
    17. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Oh man, where do I begin? I have a vast variety of pain and sensations!

I get the usual ear pain -- stabbing and throbbing deep inside the ears, on the earlobes, behind the ears, or above them. I also a general feeling of soreness and bruising, as if my eardrums have been hit repeatedly and are now black and blue. As for the rest of my face, I get pain in my gums, tongue, jaw, cheeks, temples, nose, above the eyebrows. I also get pressure headaches, or throbbing headaches that start with tingling at the top of my head then crawling down to the top of my neck. Sometimes, there's no pain, just a weird itch, or a cool/wet feeling, or hot/prickling feeling. Or the feeling that there's pressure on my face. Or the feeling of my face tightening, resulting in mucus running down my throat and a bout of sneezing.

I'm not articulate enough to describe everything that's happening. All I can say is that I'm amazed and horrified at what nerves are capable of. They say hyperacusis is caused by either overactive tensor tympani muscles or oversensitized nociceptors. But either way, the facial nerves become irritated as well which explains the weird symptoms.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
      • Informative Informative x 1
    18. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Or for no reason at all because it's an injured nerve.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Lex Your mentions all relate 88% - 95% with the submandibular ganglion. Temples - almost 100%. Many reasons for this including self placement of lower jaw pressure to twisting jaw - more so while sleeping.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/submandibular-ganglion

http://www.tmjhealth.com/WebPages/TheMysteriousJoint.html

There also always a C1 and C2 connection, but treatments are discussed in above articles are more important for now. One that take months is use of a thin flexible upper mouth guard made by a dentist. Similar to those use for teeth whiting. This isn't just for TMJ, but to retrain the jaw and brain. After a few minutes it will seal and you will hardly notice it. You can wear while sleeping and for 25 - 50% of the day.

I have so many articles saved on physical neck, jaw, mouth and facial tinnitus. There's many avenues of therapy and treatments. The back of the head - suboccipital nerve strain - 95%. For now try using correct posture, breathing exercises with shoulders relaxed with lifting head carefully and slowly just a tiny bit.

Careful therapy on the SCM muscles plus a few other muscles probably need assistance, but focus on the above first. We can talk about which muscles later.

• Useful Useful x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for all this description. Are these sensations constant or triggered by noise? It seems hard, but also you seem strong and I hope you are dealing will with this. I wish that things get better for you.

Any idea of what triggered these touch symptoms besides T?

I hope the answer from Greg help you somehow.

• Like Like x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's likely. What are my options if that is the case? Is there a definitive diagnosis tool for this kind of stuff? I've got a cranial angioressonance and also a cranial MRI and I didn't find anything in either. I wonder if it's worth going to another neuro or any doctor.

22. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      I don't really know to be honest. But I can tell you my skin becomes hot to the touch when I am in pain. Perhaps try figuring out if there are any triggers and try avoiding the triggers for a bit. See if it helps.