Feeling of Ear Fullness After a Bad Tinnitus Spike?

Discussion in 'Support' started by kiel, Aug 11, 2019.

1. kiel
      Depressed

kiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Headphones
      So, a few days ago I had a horrific tinnitus spike, which I posted about here. As some here suggested, it did fade completely after a couple days.

However, I now have a feeling of fullness and even slight dullness in my left ear. As far as I can tell, my hearing is the same in both ears, but it just feels... odd, ever since the spike went away. It's a strange feeling, probably the best way I could describe is like there is something blocking my ear and I shouldn't be able to hear anything, but I can hear perfectly fine. That's how it feels.

What could this be? ETD? Something else? Anything I could do? It isn't painful or anything, just a very odd sensation.

2. ridgew

ridgew Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2004->2012->2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Likely middle ear muscle tension. Nothing much to do about.

A couple of glasses of whiskey would help for a while.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kiel
      Depressed

kiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Headphones
      It honestly almost does feel like a muscle tending up, yeah. Well, thx!

4. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Yes, this is indeed a weird felling. Best thing is to avoid additional trauma from noise, so avoid any and all loud noises for the next several months, and give this time to heal.

5. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      Going through the same thing right now :( terrible spike in both ears and my ear feels blocked just like you described! Hopefully it dies down in a couple days.

6. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      When you had your spike did you feel like the fullness was making you hear weird? Idk how to describe it, it’s like you can hear but you almost can’t feel that you’re hearing? It’s a really odd feeling I can’t describe it.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kiel
      Depressed

kiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Headphones
      Yup, that's the exact feeling I had. Felt like I had lost my hearing even tho I could hear perfectly.

• Like Like x 2
    8. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      Did it ever go back to normal for you? I’m still having my spike right now and I’m too scared to test my hearing

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kiel
      Depressed

kiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Headphones
      Yes, it got better after a few days, but it took quite awhile to go away completely for me. Like a few weeks. But yeah, don't have that sensation at all now, thankfully.

• Like Like x 1
    10. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      What is the definition of a “spike?”

Just out of the blue increase? Or like anything that causes a sudden tinnitus rise?
      Would a new acoustic trauma be a spike or just a trauma?

Thanks.

11. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Glad for the positive update.

12. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      Did the fullness go down for you and then you still felt like you couldn’t feel sound? My fullness went down however I feel like there’s still something “blocking” my ears from having vibrations come in although I hear fine now :( Any thoughts?

13. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      From all I've gathered here, spike is a sudden tinnitus rise either out of the blue or due to other additional trauma. It can last up to months before fading or going back to baseline. I guess, what happened to you in the MRI is considered to be a spike. I hope it's getting better soon. There are people here who got a spike after attending loud events as concerts, weddings, but after some time, their tinnitus got way better.

14. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      I’m trying to get the “new” lingo to understand where everyone is coming from... thanks.

How was your city adventure?

15. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Really strange, I felt like being in a bubble the whole time. And when I couldn't stand it anymore, I took out the plugs and realized how awfully loud everything was, so put them back in quickly. I was really anxious about cars, the subway, everything.

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kiel
      Depressed

kiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Headphones
      Yes, I had the sensation to varying degrees for like a month after the fullness went away. I think it will fade like mine did (my guess it that it is Eustachian Tube Dysfunction). Can't guarantee anything, not a Doctor, but I think you will get better. If you are really concerned, couldn't hurt to have ENT take a peek in there, I suppose.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    17. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      It’s like a weird numb feeling right? It’s super weird because my hearing is almost blunt now, it’s all just flat because the vibrations aren’t being felt. Thanks so much for responding! It gives me hope. The fullness is gone now luckily, just have this weird numb hearing sensation.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kiel
      Depressed

kiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Headphones
      Yes, exactly! My Ear would even feel slightly numb if I felt it or brushed it against my shoulder. If the fullness has gone, I think the sensation your having will too. Just give it time, and I think you'll get better.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      Even though you could hear, were certain constants kind of weird because of how flat everything was since the vibrations weren’t being felt? For example when my mom says LIFE I hear the L but it isn’t felt so it sounds a bit flat!

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kiel
      Depressed

kiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Headphones
      Yes, although for me it was a little different. Certain sounds would kinda just not get recognized for me, and get replaced/overlaid with like a beeping noise, kinda similar in time to my tinnitus. Kinda hard to describe/explain. But it was only with certain words/sounds. I kinda just figure out tinnitus affects all of us and our hearing a little differently, but don't really know for sure.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      Things went back to normal for you though so that’s good :)