Feeling of Fullness in the Ear?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Louise, Sep 19, 2012.

1. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      It can be due to the hyperacusis and it can also be due to the anxiety and stress related to tinnitus and hyperacusis. The tension you can be holding can cause everything to tighten up. Anxiousness about sound can due it too. I had pretty bad pressure in the beginning and it went away for about three weeks, but I had an incident and it came back. Now it's every so often and not nearly as bad, I think it's largely stress related. I'm making some changes soon and hopefully it will help alleviate some stress.

Just do relaxation exercises and stay positive.

And yeah, I'm pretty much in the same position as you in regards to money and Tinnitus Retraining Therapy.

2. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      My anxiety level has greatly reduced, so for me I don't think it's that.

If anything, the H anxiety has subsided so much, I'm more aware of these other symptoms. lol

I'm not at the point of not noticing the H, but I'm getting there!

• Like Like x 1
    3. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      why on earth is the therapy so expensive?? Why doesnt insurance cover it anyway??

4. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      penny wise and pound foolish, Stina! I was just thinking about this today. How many people go on disability because they have trouble with work environments?? I don't know the number, but I imagine it'd be a money saver to just provide coverage for the devices for folks who need them! I understand that one is dealing with insurance, and the other the govt, (in the USA), but still....

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      Have you gone back for another loudness discomfort level test yet?

It's expensive because, if I understand right, the audiologists that administer it pretty much allow you to have access to them for the whole one to two years you undergo something like tinnitus retraining therpay or neuromonics.

Things like neuromonics and tinnitus retraining therapy not covered by insurance companies because it's considered "experimental." They might pay for the examinations and some tests, but not the therapy. Most insurance companies won't cover hearing aids either.

• Like Like x 1
    6. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      NeoM, not yet on the LDL re-eval. But, the way I look at it, I know what situations I was my tolerance level before, and what it is now.

thankfully, hearing aides in the US are covered for children. I wish they were year ago when my son would lose them, however! lol

7. demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      @SueR are you still doing TRT?

8. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      I'm "back" to doing TRT! I took a few days off because I was feeling so good (and cocky! lol) and I started getting negative responses again, so I am back to it... gotta put in the time!

9. demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      @SueR I'm really considering doing TRT, but am nervous. How long has it been since you started getting improvement?

10. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      I felt immediate results. really! noticable improvement right off the bat. But, about 1.5 months before I stopped using them, now back.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    11. ajay

ajay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 yrs
      May be this is due to deficiency of:
      1. Vit B12
      2. Vit D
      3. Serum Iron
      Carry our appropriate tests to evaluate the above. in my case all these parameters were low, particularly Iron was low, i started taking iron suppliments advised by the doctor, i am feeling much better now. if it works for u please share with as many sufferers as possible and to me also. Best Wishes. :) Ajay

12. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      For the past few weeks my ears are like
      Full.. Feels like pressure and nothin
      I do helps! And also i dont know if noise induced t causes clicks in the ears but everytime i burp my ear clicks! And this has never ever happened before the t!!! Could i have developed tmj from
      Noises induced t? Doesnt seem right.. Or i prob just have shitty ass luck and everything on my body is fallin apart.. Also had 2 cysts on my ovaries which are painfull as hell!!!!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    13. Gerry
      Badass

Gerry Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Long story short, ear fullness and noise started last October, Went on a couple of bouts of antibiotics, cleared up and then came back, I had a hearing test before seeing the ENT and was told I have some permanent hearing loss in my right (affected ear). ENT said not to sweat it, hearing was ok for my age (57). he checked me out and said he couldn't see anything. Said it would probably just go away which it did.
      A couple weeks ago it came back so my doc has me on some antibiotics and drops. I just came back from a car trip and started searching, came across this forum and the Tonsillar Pillar massage. So I just did it a bit and some of the noise went away, also a bit sore there so I think maybe it is an infection of the eustachian tubes. If so the antibiotics should clear it up. I will continue to use the massage technique and see what happens there and will let you know
      Thanks
      Gerry

14. Cassidy
      Wishful

Cassidy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress Overdrive
      Just wanted to know if anyone here has experienced a fullness in their inner ear such that when talking you feel as if you had a cold / you were talking through your nose. But I only experience this on one side (one ear)?? I try to do the valsalva maneuver and I can hear a light pop on both ears, although it feels as if the non-blocked ear pops very slightly "more" if that makes sense. Anyone had something like this ? What did it turn out to be and did it go back to normal by itself or where any medications required? I'm worried about it potentially being ETD (eustachian tube dysfunction) and the decongestants/anti-inflammatories that might be prescribed for that worsening my T.

Thanks so much,

Cass

15. DeeDebban

DeeDebban Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I developed tinnitus last October and its been getting louder and louder. I finally went to an Ear Nose and Throat spealist yesterday. He seemed bored by my problems and gave me no feedback on things to try to lessen the symptoms. He also had no comments when I mentioned the pressure. I almost cried when I read these posts. Thanks to everyone for at least letting me know that I'm not alone and that at least the pressure may subside in the future. I do pop my ears a lot because it does at least give me some temp. relief. I don't think it can make the T any worse.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    16. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      BTW, the fullness is gone now too. I was told (elsewhere) that it's not uncommon for the early stages of Meniere's to have mild symptoms and leave... until it rears its ugly head again.

17. Raytr
      Wishful

Raytr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      I had the same thing as you for the first month and than It just went way by itself.most ppl with T have that temporary.no worries it will go way

18. Raytr
      Wishful

Raytr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Talking about fullness of the ear.

19. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      I've already been dx'ed with Meniere's.

Being dual-dx, I don't know what symptoms go with which condition. I have a gut feeling that I'm not symptomatic of my SCD, but I am starting the symptoms of Meniere's (since most of my symptoms have departed... for now anyway).

well, will be asking the doc on Friday what his thoughts are.

20. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Is anybody doing better with fullness in the ear? I have still this ugly feeling since 4-5 monthes now.
      Is there anybody who had some lowering effect?

Greets Tom

21. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hi Tom as I sit here,my ears feel full,tinnitus low,but it goes inwards,horrible feeling,upsets my balance to,that said that's big problem on its own daily .High or low tinnitus.My husband holds his nose and then blows down to clear his ears,he has tinnitus.Its one thing I've never been able to do_Once my ears are low I know it's a bad day all round ,just can't get them up,to where I can have a coping day,and that's me today.
      When to high,I can remedy that I put my hair dryer on low,and it will reduce the tinnitus,but low no wa I can get ears up,no matter what. Another female on the site has same prob,as we do with ear fullness,but the tinnitus seems to go into the head,it's weird one that's for sure.were not in same country,when this happens ,I've come to think it's down to air pressure the cause .What say you ?
      Karen on site, thinks the same as to how the tinnitus behaves. Give me feed back on your take on air pressure.

22. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Hang in there!

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Something else I was told to do Tom,is to chew gum, give that a try,must be down to ones jaw and ears working together.
      Hi to you this day to Ali.Things can only get better as the song goes.we live in hope,all one can do .the answer is out there somewhere,good at hiding that's for sure.UK has got lovely sunshine Whoopee. Chin up Tom. And all on these forums today.xxxx

24. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      @alifalijohn

gee, that was February I said that. How far I have come in such a short period of time. I do a lot of normal things again, including restaurants. Noise doesn't bother me nearly as much as it used to. I still hear loudness, and distortion in my right ear, but my "real world" LDLs are pretty good. I did wear ear plugs to my son's graduation, but plugs aren't used very often now.

Doc agreed with my theory that I'm not symptomatic of the SCD. My VEMP results were consistent with Meniere's and inconsistent with SCD.

and I'm doing the no alcohol and limit caffeine/sodium diet to avoid Meniere's attacks.

25. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Weather here is not too goo in Toronto Canada, will make the best of the day!

• Useful Useful x 1
    26. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi,
      my fullness in the ear comes when I talk... the more I talk the more pressure is there in the ear.
      It's generally worse in the evenening. I don't know what to do against this, it drives me completly
      crazy.

27. Freddie
      Worried

Freddie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      27/11/2013
      Hello everyone, I wrote the below to Dr Nagler the other day about this topic and he also was not entirely sure of the reasons etc but I found some of his thoughts helpful and I was just wondering if there was anyone else out there who may experience the same feelings as I do and if it got better over time or if there was anything medically that could be done ?

Thanks

'I have had my T for a little over 6 months now and like a lot of people I have good days and bad days my T comes from my right ear which is where i have a slight low frequency hearing loss but one thing that I have noticed in the last few months is this sensation of fullness in my ear and when moving my head up down and sideways what i can only describe as a swooshing noise and at times a pain in the head around the temple area ?
      Are you able to help and shed any light as to what this is and what it is that might be it ? When I spoke to the last ENT consultant that I saw he just said it is sometimes one of the symptons of tinnitus and may possibly go but I am not so sure, it is one of these annoying things that i find is not helping when trying to forget about my T and on the road to habituation as it is not the sort of thing you can always forget about and ignore as the sensations although not uncomfortable are an additional nuisance.
      Are you aware of these and will it pass in time, might you know what the cause is and is there anything that can be done at all ?'

28. Mike McCulley

Mike McCulley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2006
      Hi All!

Sometimes I feel a fullness as well in my ear, (almost always my damned left) and I need go pop my ears to alliviate the sensation. I have eust issues and I was told by my doctor to regularly pop my ears to regualge the pressure in my ears and ensure a vacuum (and soon fluid, soon infection) isnt formed in my inner ear. If I wait to many days between popping i start to feel a fulness sensation. I expect it to be the start of fluid formation? ? Nonetheless whenever i pop to relieve the fullness my t increases and stays supercharged for a while after. Rock and a hard place.

Hope you the best for your t. Whitenoise machines always help me the best when i need sleep

M

29. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      Eh, my ENT just dismissed it all when I said I had pressure like feelings in my ear that the T first started in. There was no fluid or anything that showed up on the one test he did and he didn't listen to me when I described what it feels like. For me when I open my jaw wide enough on that side, I can hear and feel air passing through and the ear pressure regulating but it just closes back up in mere seconds when I put my jaw back to normal. I had this problem even before I go the T and I went to see my on campus doctor (I go to a college that provides free-ish medical services to students) and he did a weird air test thing when he made my plug my nose, suck in some air and swallow it while he checked the eardrums and he said the eardrum on the affected side was not moving as much and so he thought it might be ETD.

So idk if I have ETD (which I'm thinking it might be) or just something else. Either way, I'm sure it's not my mind making it up. I'm at a loss really. What do you guys think?

30. Ray Seddon
      Amused

Ray Seddon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unprotected hearing damage
      I have constant fullness in both ears and fairly loud T. I have a lot of wax but last time my doc checked she said wax buildup wasn't a problem. But ears always feel blocked - have done for years. Like some others I can't help thinking that there are some physiological issues that contribute to T. I will try the earlobe thing...