Feels Like I Can't Hear Normally After Waking Up

Discussion in 'Support' started by Andy9214, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Andy9214

Andy9214 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/16/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing test
      For some reason I woke up today and have this feeling like I can’t hear properly. Almost like the feeling you get after going to a loud concert or bar.

I’m really freaking out about this. Anyone else ever experience this? What should I do?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      Do you have hyperacusis?

3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Go see a doctor. If you have Sudden Hearing loss, time is of the essence.

4. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Any recent noise exposure?

Could be fluid in the ear. Then again, I have gotten this when exposed to some moderate noise when asleep.

May want to have a doc look into your ear for an assessment.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andy9214

Andy9214 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/16/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing test
      I’m going to give the doctor a call on Monday, but I’ve had this happen before and the doctor said there’s no change in my hearing and my ears are clear. You never know might not be the same as last time. I haven’t been around anything loud lately either.

6. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      doesn't know jack shit and is an obtuse jackass that is an "educated" narrow minded idiot that has no real ability to imagine what you're going through. With this mess you basically have to become your own doctor.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I've experienced this before. I wake up and I can't hear my sound machine thinking the volume has lowered on it's own but it hasn't. It retores soon after. It only happens at night or in the morning when I wake up so I don't give it much thought. Interesting that it happens to you as well.

8. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      If I fall asleep with the TV on, and it is on more than a minimal volume, I often wake up with ear fullness and spiking tinnitus. It does not happen unless I have slept for more than a few minutes into a deep sleep. It is frustrating, and learned to avoid this situation as best I can.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andy9214

Andy9214 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/16/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing test
      That’s exactly what I have - it’ll usually take a few hours and will go back to normal when it happens, but it just feels off this time.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andy9214

Andy9214 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/16/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing test
      Oh gosh that’s awful....

I’ve noticed if I go to sleep without any background noise/complete silence I’ll wake up with my ear (the t is only in my right ear) literally screaming at me. If I keep the tv on, or have something in the background it won’t be as bad the next morning m.

11. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      @Andy9214

Yes, it is kind of crappy. I have learned that it goes back to baseline in about 24 hrs or so. Not sure, but have figured out that the deep sleep has something to do with it, perhaps my ear is more vulnerable in REM sleep? I have even gone to sleep with nothing on, and then woken up after a nap with the ear fullness and T spike, and surmised it was some occult noise exposure. When I sleep with the earplugs, it has never happened.

Weird, right?