Field of View Test

Discussion in 'Support' started by quietatnight, Feb 26, 2016.

1. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      I was just wondering if anyone has ever going to the eye doctor and been given one of those field of view test, where they put your head into a big white dome, and have you press a clicker every time you see a light appear.

Well I had that done a few days ago, the machine has some light beeping during the test that take's about 4 minutes for each eye, and its not beeping all the time. I did have my ear plugs in and it seemed like the beeps were very low, so I felt that it was ok, but that night my tinnitus spiked up. I could not believe it.

If you have ever had this test done can you please let me know how it went ? I'm just trying to figure out if I'm loosing my mind.

Thank You

Louie

Quietatnight

2. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      You had earplugs in. What more could you possible have done?

Don't sweat it.

3. Twitch

Twitch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have had this test at the opticians and eye hospital a few times over the last year and the machine is not loud at all and did not effect my T in any way I can remember. It seems to be a very odd interaction that it spiked your T. I know you have to rest your chin still and sometimes lean forward in a chair but the test is over in a few minutes.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank You Nucleo, yeah I did what I could I had my gun muffs out in the car If I had it all to do over again I would have went and got them and put those over the ear plugs just to be 100% safe. My tinnitus is very sensitive to ANY beeping, at any volume, I was just not sure if they would fit in the machine.

Twich, may I ask was the machine that you were in one of those older one's ? or one of the newer machines of today ? and was it beeping ? I would think that the newer machines are not as loud as the older machines would be I was in the older style one had to be 100 years old. With me I had the tech lower the over all volume on the machine so it was at the lowest setting ( so as he claimed ) and he also turned off the clicker so that it would not beep every time that it's pressed, so that had to have of helped. So it would only beep if I got out of position and then he had to stop the test and reposition me then finish the test. And that was a few times. So the beeps were not all of the time.

I don't get it, I was very surprised that I ended with this increase, or spike I really felt that I was safe with the plugs.

I'm just frustrated that I was not paying more attention, I was so focused on getting through the test that I was not even thinking about the beeps.

What can ya do I guess.

Thank You both for getting back to me...

Louie

Quietatnight

5. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      It's most likely the ear plugs caused your spike.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My ear plugs ? are you serious ? Ok, I have to ask, how would that happened ?

Louie

Quietatnight

7. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015

In fact I just reread what you wrote and you stated the spike came later. It's unlikely it was the ear plugs if it wasn't immediate, and it's extremely unlikely to be anything to do with your eye test.

Just pay no attention to it, it should subside.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I will try and not pay attention to it, that's good advive ...

I really thought you were going to say something like "Inclussion" I have heard of that before.

Thank You

Louie

Quietatnight

PS: Is your avitar from "Robot Cop" ? I love it LOL

9. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Maybe the test, and worrying about your ears, just made you a little more anxious which egged on a spike? No way to tell. I agree with the others: I would distract myself with other activities and thoughts, and I bet this just subsides.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      LadyDi

Yeah your right I have been going through a lot of stress this past week, everything is happening to me, I have a bad migraine headache, My stomach is killing with horrible pain, and now I have the flu I'm just a mess, we won't even think about the tinnitus spike. Life is just too hard.

Thank You

Louie

Quietatnight

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. Twitch

Twitch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry I didn't reply sooner, use the @ sign before someones forum name and they get an alert everytime their name is mentioned.

I think I had this test about 5 or 6 times. I started noticing visual floaters some months after my T started and my regular optician referred me to the eye hospital. I had regular follow ups at the eye hospital and the machines neither looked old or new but they were not loud afaik. I think the only clicking sound was when you push the button to acknowledge you saw the light illuminate. I am due to have a regular eye test soon so will try to corroborate your theory. Perhaps something else spiked your T and you're attribituing it to the eye test machine?