Finally Broke Down and Made a Neurologist Appt. I Have Had Tinnitus Mostly in My Right Ear.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Yolanda, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Yolanda

Yolanda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I have had tinnitus mostly in my right ear that I have managed mostly fairly well since 2005. However, lately, thanks to a neck injury suffered working out, it has gotten worse. In the past, I have dealt with the tinnitus by keeping busy and using klonopin. White wine also completely eliminates my tinnitus for a couple of hours, although obviously, that is not a drug of choice. I have normal hearing, but I have been diagnosed with TMJ (MRI) as well as cervical arthritis and two herniated discs at C3/4 and 5/6. I can change the pitch and volume of my tinnitus with head movement. Massage provides temporary relief. I find that my tinnitus annoyance goes in cycles. I have been told that my tinnitus is an ear problem because although my audiogram is within normal limits, there is a dip(still in the normal range) at the frequency of my tinnitus. I have also been told that I am bothered by tinnitus because I am stressed and need therapy. However, I cannot shake the thought that the really bad tinnitus may be related to my neck and jaw problems. I also researched the effects of alcohol on the brain and found that it enhances GABA (an inhibitory neurotransmitter) and reduces glutamate (an excitory neurotransmitter), which is implicated in anxiety, epilepsy (family history), migraines (personal history). I want to ask the neurologist good questions and see if we can get beyond the usual stress reduction, it's all in your ears and there's nothing to be done. I don't care if the tinnitus goes away completely. I just want to reduce the volume in my right ear. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions for questions I can ask the neurologist that might lead to answers. I have all my MRI reports and was treated by this center years ago for headaches due to occipital neuralgia. Any questions or suggestions for approaching this appt. would be much appreciated. Thank you.

2. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      I wonder if she'll order another MRI with contrast to check for signs of MS.

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      You migh get some relief from a Masker if audiology don't think you need a hearing aid.

You could try a mouth guard for TMJ to wear at night.

Anxiety medication might help and talking therapy and breathing exercises.
      ...lots of love glynis