First Experience with Tinnitus Since Monday 11/12/18

Discussion in 'Support' started by MatticusIV, Nov 16, 2018.

1. MatticusIV

MatticusIV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Movie?
      Hello..

I'm sure my story will be one you all have heard a million times, but I'm having a lot of trouble coping..

I am a 26 year old male, I've always had very good hearing, and I rarely expose myself to very loud noises. I have a quiet office job, I've only been to a handful of very loud concerts, and none recently. I play games and watch movies, but not at crazy high levels.

For the last month, I've noticed sensitivity to high frequency sounds, like electronics, that no one else notices. I thought I was just being paranoid and focusing too much on it. Last Sunday I went to see the movie Overlord. I sat closer to the front than I normally do, because seating was unavailable. The intro scene to the movie was abnormally loud for what theaters usually play things at. I didn't notice any damage, ringing, or anything after the movie, but on Monday night I started hear some electronic in our house ringing, but when I turned everything off, the sound didn't go away. And it hasn't since. It's changed tone a few times I think though.

I've made a doctors appointment for next week, but in the meantime, I'm losing my mind. It's louder than every day sounds, so most things don't even drown it out. I've broken down in tears twice in the last two days, it feels like some kind of cruel torture than would break the rules of war.

I've seen advice to stay positive, but it's extremely hard. All I see are comments about how it's definitely permanent, and how people kill themselves or go insane because of it. How could something like going to a movie on the weekend lead to the worst thing that's ever happened in my life? Why have I never heard of this happening until now? Everyone goes to movies. I'm not old..

I just don't know what to do at this point. Is there any hope that it might go away?

• Hug Hug x 6
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Jason E

Jason E Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Slap to right ear
      Hey there mate,

I know exactly how you are feeling at the moment and it's super frightening, I was accidently slapped in the head almost a month ago and have had incredibly loud tinnitus in my right ear since, they all say the first few weeks is a very difficult time I've learned that also. Have you been to an audiologist to have your hearing evaluated yet? That's usually the first step then to go to an ENT for a diagnosis. Many have told me that if it's your first run in with tinnitus it often goes away but this can be a long process, months etc. I think what the others are saying it's very important not to panic because that will definitely make the tinnitus seem louder as it becomes your core focus, I know all of this is easier said than done because I am walking in those same shoes, but hang in there mate because we are not alone and it's just a matter of time in finding what works for us.

3. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      First of all no one will go insane over tinnitus. Second of all people only usually kill themselves when it gets really loud and intrusive. Finally, it's been 4 days. You need to give it a month at least and get your ears cleared from other factors by the doctor. Stop panicking for now. Even if this ringing doesnt go away I highly doubt its as loud as you say it is (only something like a a gunshot next to the ear would cause immediate loud tinnitus). It is probably mild, and thats something thats easy to live with to the point where you could go a day without noticing.

Calm down as anxiety causes it to be louder. Also you should be very careful with your ears from now till you die.

4. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Do you take any medication?

5. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      All of us are caught off guard when it starts and there is no awareness, but in the beginning it can heal itself, if and if it becomes permanent, Tinnitus Talk is here for you.

6. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Even with all the loud noises in my brain I also hear certain frequencies in sounds that no one else notices.
      It sounds like your ears were being extra sensitive. Have you taken any new suppliments or anything lately?

Have you gotten a flu shot?

Talk with your doctor and maybe he/she will be able to help you.

Yep. Everyone who usually gets tinnitus has never heard the term before. Even myself in 2002.

There is always hope especially since this just happened to you. Give your ears a break for a while and try to stay away from really loud places.

7. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hey @MatticusIV,

Wanted to do a quick checkin and see how you're doing? Any improvements since you first posted? -- Best!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Hey,

Your feelings of panic and anxiety are absolutely normal. I was exactly the same. Always remember that those of us usually on here are suffering so it would appear to be quite negative. Yes, it definitely can get better. Be gentle and careful with yourcears now. Iā€™d suggest avoiding Audiology procedures like Microsuction if you ever are offered it as it worsened my tinnitus.
      Give it time, I understand your anxiety, truly do but yours could hopefully go away x