First Thread. All Info Is Welcome

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Dave1, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Dave1
      Depressed

Dave1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi guys

About two weeks ago I first noticed ringing in my ears/head. I visited my GP who booked me in for a bi-lateral ear irrigation. I had that done three days ago however the ringing is still there. I haven't been diagnosed with tinnitus yet but I fear I have it.
      Has anyone out there been through something similar ?

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @Dave1,
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk.
      Its early days and it has every chance in going.
      Try stay calm as anxiety etc will make it louder...
      Give it another two weeks then go back see your doctor if ears still the same.
      .lots of love glynis

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Dave1
      Exposure to loud noise is the most common cause of tinnitus. Do you listen to music regularly through headphones or attend places where loud music is played? Do you work in a noisy environment or operate noisy machinery? If the answer is yes to any of these questions then this could be the cause of your tinnitus. If it is headphone use, I advise you not to listen to any audio through headphones even at low volume.

All the best
      Michael

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dave1
      Depressed

Dave1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Glynis

Thanks for replying and welcoming me to TT.

I have a newfound respect for those that live with Tinnitus. I'm trying to remain positive but sometimes it gets too much.

Talking helps. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Welcome to TT.

If you have a noise in your ears then that is tinnitus by definition, no diagnosis needed. Sorry to be blunt, but its the truth.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dave1
      Depressed

Dave1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Michael

Thanks for the advice. I do work in a noisy enviorment and I also used to wear in-ear headphones alot. I never took the volume warnings on my phone seriously and I regret that now. I haven't used headphones for a week or so now and don't intend to ever use them again.

Thanks again Michael.

P.s. I can't seem to find an option to directly reply to an individual.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dave1
      Depressed

Dave1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Sam

I didn't realise that was the case. Thanks for informing me.

Dave

8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Dave1 If you want to reply to an individual or send them a private message (providing they don't mind) click on their "Avatar picture" and choose "start conversation" Alternatively, you can "highlight" a poster's text and choose "quote" You can also alert a person by using the @ sign at the beginning of their name. For instanace: @Michael Leigh.

It sounds like your tinnitus was caused by noise. I have written an article on tinnitus that you might find helpful. Please click on the link below.
      Hope you start to feel better soon.
      All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dave1
      Depressed

Dave1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Michael Leigh

Thanks for your article, you seem to have an extensive understanding of Tinnitus and your efforts to help others is admirable.

10. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thank you for your kind comments Dave. Please look out for another post that I hope to do on habituation. I have covered this before, but a few people have been asking questions on the "habitation process", and will try to help if possible.
      All the best
      Michael

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dave1
      Depressed

Dave1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I will definitely give that a read, I hope to habituate asap. I'm even finding this morning little moments of 'quiet' from the T.

• Like Like x 1
    12. sleepy

sleepy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music and gaming via headphones, earbuds and headset
      Funny you mention the warning sign when you increase the volume on your cell phone. I used to do almost everything from walking, cooking and working out with earbuds or headphones on. Time seems to fly when you're enjoying yourself listening to some music.

I do a lot of video gaming on my free time. It has probably had a lot of affect on my T as well. I used my headphones a week after it felt like my T was disappearing and I made my T worse. Keep the headphones off and avoid loud noises. Keep some foam earplugs on you in case things get loud. I've noticed my hearing has been sensitive when I got my T.

I have moments when my T fades away for a bit. Get some sleep if you can. Getting anxious makes my T worse. Hopefully our T will eventually leave. Good luck and take care.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dave1
      Depressed

Dave1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks @sleepy

Funny you mention video gaming. Before my T started I was playing at least 15 hours a week with ear buds in, totally ignorant to the damage it was causing.
      I had my ears syringed/irrigated on Tuesday so I'm a little reluctant to use foam earplugs at the minute but I understand what you are saying about loud noise.
      Fortunately I have no trouble sleeping so far. I know sleeping can be a real problem for people with T and I feel for them.
      I get pretty anxious too. Writing to people on these forums helps me alot. I have barely noticed my T while composing this message so thanks for that. Nice dogs btw.

• Like Like x 1
    14. sleepy

sleepy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, I keep myself in relatively good shape. I couldn't believe the first thing to act up would be my ears. Haha, it's a kick in the gut sometimes when my T acts up. A positive attitude and keeping your mind active so you don't focus on your T helps a lot.

Another forum member helped me through a tough patch this week when my T hit me hard. I couldn't sleep for four days, I had to get be beg my ENT for Ambien. I felt anxious and my body felt lethargic and I couldn't sleep at all.

You can private message me if you want to talk. Stay positive. Cheers!

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dave1
      Depressed

Dave1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @sleepy

Wow...four days without sleep, that sounds like torture. I hope that was a one-off for you and doesn't happen again.
      I tried to send you a private message but I can't seem to find the 'start conversation' option that Michael told me about earlier. I'm a forum noob, bare with me.
      I haven't been to ENT yet but that will be my next step. When did your T start ? Do you still use Ambien ?

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dave1
      Depressed

Dave1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ha ha...sorry @sleepy I'm using my phone too. I can't seem to reply to your pm which is strange. I'll dig out my laptop tomorrow and have a detailed look at the site.
      Thanks for the advice today, sleep well.

• Like Like x 1
    17. sleepy

sleepy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No prob, took me awhile to learn how to navigate through this forum. Cool dog!

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dave1
      Depressed

Dave1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @glynis @Michael Leigh

Hi folks. Thought I'd give you an update.

I managed to see a doctor today after a bad weekend. He thinks my Eustachian tube(s) could be blocked and has prescribed me Beclometasone Nasal Spray.

I was just wondering if this is standard procedure when investigating Tinnitus as I don't want to get my hopes built up too much and believe the nasal spray is the cure.

Best wishes
      Dave

19. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      It will help unblock your tubes so should help your tinnitus also....
      Steam inhalation will help also....lots of love glynis

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dave1
      Depressed

Dave1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks Glynis...haven't seen that done in years, I'll get the basin and towel out soon.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Dave1
      I see that Glynis has answered your question and hope the spray works for you.
      All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dave1
      Depressed

Dave1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Like Like x 1
    23. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Same here!

You are not alone. I have come across user support forums where people were asking for ways to deactivate this annoying feature. Myself included! Thought it was a good idea... :rolleyes:

Same here! I stopped using the in-ear type of headphones. I continued to a use circumaural (over and around the ear) headphones for a short while. I no longer use any kind of headphones.

Same here! Except for cooking! I would rather put the radio on or stream Spotify to speakers.

@Dave1 Your tinnitus is still in early stages, so there is still a chance that it might pass. But if it does not, just know that it is not dangerous, and you will get better at handling it. It's this process called habituation, and I can tell you from first hand experience that it is real and not a myth. You will be less bothered by tinnitus, and the intensity of it is likely to be reduced as well.

The beginning is the hardest. Try to keep calm, relax, reduce stress, eat well, get enough sleep, avoid further noise exposure and find things to do in your spare time to keep you occupied and your mind off the tinnitus. Take care!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dave1
      Depressed

Dave1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Samir

Thanks Samir. My emotions are all over the place lately with T. I look forward to habituation but it seems so far away. If it wasn't for this forum I don't know how I would cope.

• Hug Hug x 3
    25. Jaybeee
      Wishful

Jaybeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety?
      I couldn't agree more. My husband doesn't like me using the forum because he thinks it fuels my anxiety. But I'd be lost without the support of those who hang around just to help us newbies out. Hope you feel better soon. I can't wait to get through this distressing state xx

• Like Like x 1
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dave1
      Depressed

Dave1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown